An Advent Calendar 2010? Sign up here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

walladah

Well, thank you for the honour!

However, i need to think how we can all be involved with Dec. 25th without a burden to those who have undertaken another day too!!

24th of Dec. is for Elfie!

We follow the first come-first served policy for both calendars!
Do not forget the Goblin calendar as well!

Shimmy shimmy!!

Shanazel

OKay, we can compromise. How about: you lead the way Xmas Day and everyone else who wishes to do so can add their special contributions as well.

walladah

Should i worry that we

have 28 days left till the calendar's opening and we have not but very few participations already? Giiiiiiiirls, where are you?

Shanazel

What are sticky threads?
'Sticky' threads are created by moderators or administrators (?), and remain 'stuck' to the top of the listing, even if they haven't had any posts recently. Their purpose is to keep important information visible and accessible at all times.

I'll get Mosaic or someone to post a sticky for you. I don't think I can do it since it is not my area of moderation. :cool:

gisela

Super Moderator
I made it a sticky :)

Great initiative Walladah!
I would like to be in too. I'll be back in a minute when I have figured out what date I'd like.

walladah

Thank you my friends!

:dance:

I hope that now people will register with the Advent Calendar 2010.

Will there be possible that around December 15th we make a sticky for the Goblin Calendar, too? I do not want to mess it up with the Advent, so i think it is better to fill-in the Advent Calendar first...

Thank you very much once again!

Shimmy shimmy shimmy!

Walladah

gisela

Super Moderator
No problem Walladah, as soon as I see the goblin thread I'll make a sticky.

Ok, I'd like to do December 11th :)
thanks!

gisela

Super Moderator
Hi Walladah,
Maybe you could edit your very first post in this thread so it contains the list of dates?
It would make it easier to find.

walladah

Gisela, thanks for the advice and

assistance!

Gia, Dec 13th is yours!

i have updated the first post, so that everyone who visits the thread, see the available December dates.

Cheers!

Greek Bonfire

Just making sure - hope I don't sound like a dim bulb. Do you contribute something that is your own on your appointed day or can you use something of someone else's, even if you give credit to the owner? I don't want any copyright infringement problems!

walladah

No-one wants any intellectual property infringement

problems, much less the Advent Calendar or this forum in general!

We use for the Calendar either things we create ourselves, or things that already exist published on the web or anywhere else.

The www needs a bit of care, nevertheless. THere are websites who are very strict with their copyright policy (f.ex. youtube bans videos immediately, if you let them know about any infringement issue) and other websites who are not.

Even if there is something published somewhere and you use it for the Advent Calendar, you SHOULD mention the source (website, book, etc.) and the creator, even if the latter writes under the publication that this is copyright free.

To make things easier: we do not publish anything unless we are sure to the best of our knowledge (sometimes, we need to send emails or contact the IP rights onwers) that the published thing has been created by us (no cheating!) or that the IP rights owner agrees with the use of his/her publication (this can be concluded, f.ex. if a publication remains for some time on a popular website, e.g. the IP rights owner has no problem with that).

Another rule: artwork of creators who died 70 years ago or more is copyright free. But, the same artwork performed, improved, published in a special edition, etc. has also IP rights of the performers, editors, etc so take care about that too....

I think that Salome had published in spring a related post about the same topic. I do not know how to find it though....

Dev

Just making sure - hope I don't sound like a dim bulb. Do you contribute something that is your own on your appointed day or can you use something of someone else's, even if you give credit to the owner? I don't want any copyright infringement problems!

Members can post copyrighted works under the fair use law, which says the following: "The fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright".

This IS a discussion forum and members DO criticize, learn, comment, report, educate etc. here and are not restricted to work only in the public domain. At the same time the above should be observed and not abused as a loophole.

Posting an excerpt of a copyrighted article in a thread? Ok.
Copying and pasting someone's entire archive of articles in a thread? Not ok.

Uploading an entire CD on the forum? Not ok.
Uploading a song for the purpose of song translation, country of origin question etc. etc. Ok.

Let common sense guide you.

Status
Not open for further replies.