An Advent Calendar 2010? Sign up here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

walladah

Hello my friends!:dance:

What about an Advent Calendar for December 2010? Are you in?

Names in green show the dates that have been a second assignment for a forum member. So, in case a newcomer wants to undertake an assignment for the Advent Calendar, those are the dates available. Please, in case a member does not want to give away the second assignment, the newcomer should wait for the next year's Advent Calendar or may register for the Goblin Calendar 2010!

December 1st Nath
December 2nd Amulya
December 3rd Farasha Hanem
December 4th Dev
December 5th Aniseteph
December 6th Nejmeh
December 7th Daimona
December 8th Punko
December 9th Greek Bonfire
December 10th Cheart
December 11th Gisela
December 12th Ednah Hayat
December 13th Gia al Qamar
December 14th Safran
December 15th Mosaic
December 16th Vesiana
December 17th Aziyade
December 18th Cheart
December 19th Adiemus
December 20th Walladah
December 21st Shanazel
December 22nd Farasha Hanem
December 23rd Jeanne
December 24th Elfie
December 25th Walladah & Company

Last edited:

Shanazel

Oh, yes! It was great fun last year- I looked forward to each day.

Walla, would you like to establish a calender and keep track of who gets what day or shall I? If people sign up on this thread we can start the calender on a new thread on December 1.

I'd like to have December 21st again, if I may.

Bonnie, what we did last year: each of us chose a day between Dec 1 and Dec 25. On our day, we posted something in celebration of the season: a poem, a picture, a special video, a recipe. I'll look for last year's thread for you so you can see how it went.

Here it is: http://www.bellydanceforums.net/games-prizes/10991-forum-advent-calendar-1st-december-2009-a.html

Last edited:

Greek Bonfire

Oh, yes! It was great fun last year- I looked forward to each day.

Walla, would you like to establish a calender and keep track of who gets what day or shall I? If people sign up on this thread we can start the calender on a new thread on December 1.

I'd like to have December 21st again, if I may.

Bonnie, what we did last year: each of us chose a day between Dec 1 and Dec 25. On our day, we posted something in celebration of the season: a poem, a picture, a special video, a recipe. I'll look for last year's thread for you so you can see how it went.

Okay! I want December 9, if that's okay.

walladah

i can keep track

of who get what day! I will choose last, in case there is any one left!

So, 21st and 9th at taken...

what about the rest?

PS/I have one more idea: A goblin calendar for days 25 Dec. to 5th of January. According to Greek custom the goblins live in the underworld during the entire year, cutting little by little the tree on which the earth is based. At the Christmas Eve the tree trunk stands up on a piece of wood which is tiny as a strandthread. Just before the moment of the world's destruction the goblins leave the underworld and on Christmas day they walk around on earth, teasing people, stealing food and sweets, messing up the house warehouses, and during the nights, they break into homes to eat the sausages the housewives have prepared. The goblins are a pest during the nights, but there is no use to lock the doors and windows well, only the fireplace should stay lit, because they enter the house through the chimney!

When sun rises on January 6th, e.g. when Christ was baptised, the Holy Ghost appears and the goblins rush into the underworld to continue cutting the tree. But the tree has recovered during the holy days and they now have to work hard for the new year to cut it off again, till the Christmas day.

The 12 days between 25th Dec. to 5th January are called dodecameron (12-day time) and they are days of feast, tricks, fun, tolerance and jokes!

So, I propose to prepare a Dodecameron/Goblin Calendar for the 12 days starting on Christmas day! what do you think? It will be a trickster/joke calendar for Christmas and New Year...

Mosaic

Super Moderator

Shanazel

Sure, that sounds like fun! I'm in for that one, too, unless we have more people than days in which case I'll just stick to the solstice.

Uh, Supermod Mosaic? See post #3. ;)

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I'll take 15th Dec, and if at the end there is any days left over I am prepared to do a 2nd one.

I will have to work out if I will have time for the goblin one, as we will be quite busy after Xmas this year, also have to think what on earth I could do, ... a "tricky" one that;)
~Mosaic

Greek Bonfire

of who get what day! I will choose last, in case there is any one left!

So, 21st and 9th at taken...

what about the rest?

PS/I have one more idea: A goblin calendar for days 25 Dec. to 5th of January. According to Greek custom the goblins live in the underworld during the entire year, cutting little by little the tree on which the earth is based. At the Christmas Eve the tree trunk stands up on a piece of wood which is tiny as a strandthread. Just before the moment of the world's destruction the goblins leave the underworld and on Christmas day they walk around on earth, teasing people, stealing food and sweets, messing up the house warehouses, and during the nights, they break into homes to eat the sausages the housewives have prepared. The goblins are a pest during the nights, but there is no use to lock the doors and windows well, only the fireplace should stay lit, because they enter the house through the chimney!

When sun rises on January 6th, e.g. when Christ was baptised, the Holy Ghost appears and the goblins rush into the underworld to continue cutting the tree. But the tree has recovered during the holy days and they now have to work hard for the new year to cut it off again, till the Christmas day.

The 12 days between 25th Dec. to 5th January are called dodecameron (12-day time) and they are days of feast, tricks, fun, tolerance and jokes!

So, I propose to prepare a Dodecameron/Goblin Calendar for the 12 days starting on Christmas day! what do you think? It will be a trickster/joke calendar for Christmas and New Year...

Muahahahaha! I'll get out my evil eyes :shok: Mosaic, I'm going to check out that thread. It sounds like fun already at this point ;)

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Sure, that sounds like fun! I'm in for that one, too, unless we have more people than days in which case I'll just stick to the solstice.

Uh, Supermod Mosaic? See post #3. ;)
Oops! Super-mod is super-silly I think the posts before mine were actually being written and posted as I did mine ... sorry about that What can you expect when a person has only been out of bed for a short while and the coffee hasn't kicked in yet!

Ahhhhh Just clicked to post this and poof! bandwidth prob again
~Mosaic

Now I can post it!
Good for Salome, she has sorted out the prob again:clap:

Safran

I can take care of the 14th of December!

The goblins' thing sounds like a lot of fun. However, I know that I'll be travelling around a lot during Christmas and NYE, so I am not sure I can participate.

walladah

Dates taken till now

December 1st ………….
December 2nd ………….
December 3rd ………….
December 4th …………….
December 5th Aniseteph
December 6th …………….
December 7th ……………..
December 8th ……………
December 9th Greek Bonfire
December 10th ……………..
December 11th …………….
December 12th …………….
December 13th ……………
December 14th Safran
December 15th Mosaic
December 16th …………..
December 17th ……………
December 18th ……………
December 19th …………….
December 20th ……………..
December 21st Shanazel
December 22nd ……………
December 23rd ……………..
December 24th …………….

I am creating a new thread about the Goblin Calendar!

Shanazel

Thank you so much for doing this, Walladah. I don't know which was more fun last year: searching for a proper offering or reading the offerings of others!

walladah

You understand, Shanazel

that I had so much fun last year, that i want to make sure it happens again!

Oh, by the way: is Christmas day at the Advent Calendar a day that should be assigned to one person or should we arrange something all together?

Shanazel

Perhaps that honor should go to the lady who got this all arranged for the year: YOU. All in favor of Walladah doing Christmas Day: SHIMMY!

Elfie

I'd actually like to have the 24th, if no one minds me playing along. It is my recently deceased grandmother's birthday and I think she's love to know I was sharing the holidays with others that I don't actually even "know". She was a good woman.

One thing I will say, though... and this isn't to pick on anyone so please don't take it so. I'm actually trying to protect Salome. I noticed in the other thread from last year that some had posted poetry written by others. This may sound silly considering the venue, but that is actually copyright infringement and can get Salome slapped with a lawsuit since she owns these fora.

If I may, I'd humbly suggest, if you are going to post a poem, to make sure it is one that is (A) Your own work [or] (B) A written work that has fallen into what we in the business call "public domain". For a written work to fall into public domain, the copyright has to have been unrenewed for at least 70 years after the author's death, I believe is what the copyright law is. Family members can and often do renew copyrights though. Look at Tolkien's works. He's been dead for a while and his children and or grandchildren renew his rights religiously.

It may sound silly and like a needless worry, but it really isn't. We writers tend to be protective over our works. I'd be positively livid if I found one of my poems just tacked up onto a website without my knowledge or permission. Many people don't think of it. It can be innocent enough and in the spirit of sharing and the one doing the sharing thinks there is no harm. But it isn't their rights being abused. Those works are copyrighted for a reason. And according to U.S. law (the ones Salome would have to answer to because she is a US citizen) they are righted from the moment they are recorded... be it computer document or even notebook paper. Just because something is shared/done in innocence does get anyone a free pass. Ignorance of the laws don't make you free of responsability. That responsability would fall to Salome if any of the authors wanted to be pissy.

I may be worrying needlessly. But better safe than sorry seems to be a good rule to follow. :) I know the writer's forum I belong to has very strict rules about posting righted works and refusal to adhere gets your buns booted for a few days, if not permenantly. Mac has had issues with lawsuits before. I swear to you guys that I'm not just blowing smoke.

But I want to play along. If someone else wants the 24th, I'll gladly take another date. But if no one else has their sights on it, I'd love to have it. And I can provide for additional dates, if need be. Just gimme a yell if I'm needed.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I'd actually like to have the 24th, if no one minds me playing along. It is my recently deceased grandmother's birthday and I think she's love to know I was sharing the holidays with others that I don't actually even "know". She was a good woman.

One thing I will say, though... and this isn't to pick on anyone so please don't take it so. I'm actually trying to protect Salome. I noticed in the other thread from last year that some had posted poetry written by others. This may sound silly considering the venue, but that is actually copyright infringement and can get Salome slapped with a lawsuit since she owns these fora.

If I may, I'd humbly suggest, if you are going to post a poem, to make sure it is one that is (A) Your own work [or] (B) A written work that has fallen into what we in the business call "public domain". For a written work to fall into public domain, the copyright has to have been unrenewed for at least 70 years after the author's death, I believe is what the copyright law is. Family members can and often do renew copyrights though. Look at Tolkien's works. He's been dead for a while and his children and or grandchildren renew his rights religiously.

It may sound silly and like a needless worry, but it really isn't. We writers tend to be protective over our works. I'd be positively livid if I found one of my poems just tacked up onto a website without my knowledge or permission. Many people don't think of it. It can be innocent enough and in the spirit of sharing and the one doing the sharing thinks there is no harm. But it isn't their rights being abused. Those works are copyrighted for a reason. And according to U.S. law (the ones Salome would have to answer to because she is a US citizen) they are righted from the moment they are recorded... be it computer document or even notebook paper. Just because something is shared/done in innocence does get anyone a free pass. Ignorance of the laws don't make you free of responsability. That responsability would fall to Salome if any of the authors wanted to be pissy.

I may be worrying needlessly. But better safe than sorry seems to be a good rule to follow. :) I know the writer's forum I belong to has very strict rules about posting righted works and refusal to adhere gets your buns booted for a few days, if not permenantly. Mac has had issues with lawsuits before. I swear to you guys that I'm not just blowing smoke.

But I want to play along. If someone else wants the 24th, I'll gladly take another date. But if no one else has their sights on it, I'd love to have it. And I can provide for additional dates, if need be. Just gimme a yell if I'm needed.
There are several threads on the forum about copyright so I believe we are all pretty aware of your concerns. I also don't think what was posted in the advent thread of last year poses any issues, I believe things like the 'The night Before Christmas' were created with the intent that it be shared forever, and it does get shared, in many different mediums. If anyone came along and said "hey that belongs to me - remove it!" it would be removed without hesitation. But I understand where you are coming from. I for one love to share my writings/musing/poetry and if it is considered good enough for someone to share elsewhere with recognition of the author I would be quite happy:D
~Mosaic

Elfie

If we're all aware of it, then it's all good. :) If I write something to post here and share - as I intend to do - I'll never be able to sell it... posting it here on the forum uses my first world wide rights. I'd write it simply for the purpose of sharing here with you guys. Something I'd written, revised and edited, researched markets for and queried publisher after publisher for... I wouldn't take it so lightly if someone just flung it up on their blog or posted it in a forum even if they did give me credit. It's reprinting without permission.

The internet has become a breeding ground for literary predators... and just recently Writer Beware outed a publisher who, while looking legit, was taking submissions out of their slush pile and publishing them under his own name. Another that springs to mind is the guy who was publishing stuff from well known authors... Stephen King among those he stole from (that took some testes, let me say!) under his name. The works were carefully reworded, but still recognizably the other books. And while this isn't exactly the same thing, writers are becoming more and more strict about even offhand sharing. It's one thing that is in the forefront of every author's mind in the last year or two. It hasn't been much of an issue in the past, but with such things as fan fiction and reprints on blogs and such, it's quickly becoming a major issue in the publishing world. Even removal isn't enough because of the caching systems search engines employ.

Sorry if I spoke out of turn or anything, but it raised my writer's red flag. I can't turn that off even when I'm playing around on Pogo or The Sims 3. My writer brain doesn't turn off, ever. :D It's hardwired in, hehe. And, I guess it never hurts to remind people of what they already know. It's an easy thing to not think of in the spirit of things.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
If we're all aware of it, then it's all good. :) If I write something to post here and share - as I intend to do - I'll never be able to sell it... posting it here on the forum uses my first world wide rights. I'd write it simply for the purpose of sharing here with you guys. Something I'd written, revised and edited, researched markets for and queried publisher after publisher for... I wouldn't take it so lightly if someone just flung it up on their blog or posted it in a forum even if they did give me credit. It's reprinting without permission.

The internet has become a breeding ground for literary predators... and just recently Writer Beware outed a publisher who, while looking legit, was taking submissions out of their slush pile and publishing them under his own name. Another that springs to mind is the guy who was publishing stuff from well known authors... Stephen King among those he stole from (that took some testes, let me say!) under his name. The works were carefully reworded, but still recognizably the other books. And while this isn't exactly the same thing, writers are becoming more and more strict about even offhand sharing. It's one thing that is in the forefront of every author's mind in the last year or two. It hasn't been much of an issue in the past, but with such things as fan fiction and reprints on blogs and such, it's quickly becoming a major issue in the publishing world. Even removal isn't enough because of the caching systems search engines employ.

Sorry if I spoke out of turn or anything, but it raised my writer's red flag. I can't turn that off even when I'm playing around on Pogo or The Sims 3. My writer brain doesn't turn off, ever. :D It's hardwired in, hehe. And, I guess it never hurts to remind people of what they already know. It's an easy thing to not think of in the spirit of things.
No you didn't speak out of turn we appreciate your concern. It's true reminders don't go astray, I suppose it is human nature to become bla'se about things.

I'm sure everyone will take your reminder to heart:D
~Mosaic

Status
Not open for further replies.