Status
Not open for further replies.

walladah

Yes, Amulya, we

are looking forward to your treat, tomorrow!

Goblins are always ready for a treat!!

Shanazel, i know you are a day away (by plane!!) but i just took into account the Christmas day (which makes us all be far from PCs).

But i loved that 26th was a double treat! Actually, in Greece it is also considered a second Christmas day, so... custom is satisfied!

nigma

what a dope I am, should have read this thread first. Sorry Greekbonfire I think I stole your day :( and Walladah next year I'll pay more attention.

Shanazel

Don't give up on me, you folks who are hours ahead of the Rocky Mountain west. I have four more hours until midnight.

Shanazel

And an American Winter Tale:

Norwegian icebreaker on the MS River

As you may have seen on the news it's been very cold
in the midwestern states. So cold, in fact, that the US Corp of
Engineers has borrowed a Norwegian Icebreaker to clear the
Mississippi River for freighter traffic.

The Icebreaker is starting near Davenport and working
its way northward.

Here is a picture as the hard work of ice breaking
begins.

Impressive! ....

Norwegian Icebreaker heads up the Mississippi .

View attachment 4058

Greek Bonfire

And an American Winter Tale:

As you may have seen on the news it's been very cold
in the midwestern states. So cold, in fact, that the US Corp of
Engineers has borrowed a Norwegian Icebreaker to clear the
Mississippi River for freighter traffic.

The Icebreaker is starting near Davenport and working
its way northward.

Here is a picture as the hard work of ice breaking
begins.

Impressive! ....

Norwegian Icebreaker heads up the Mississippi .

View attachment 4058

Good one!! Although I am not from Minnesota, I can definitely relate to these snowstorms, as we've had them many times in Chitown!

Last edited:

Nath

I had to send this to a friend who lives in MN. :lol:

Having lived in Davenport, Iowa for a couple of years, I can see this!

walladah

Wow! that was really funny, Shanazel!

but why didn't you post at the Goblin Calendar thread? Can we copy the posting and comments to the Goblin Calendar?

I like this mess, because this is what a Goblin Calendar should be! too much order is not goblinish at all!

Nigma, it is fine! And, can you imagine that there were days that we posted same people, so that the Calendar is full? we want you at the Calendar next year.

I do not think that Greek Bonfire has seen this as an insult: No-one can really steal anything from Fotia [Fire, the thing that gives light]-the Greek Bonfire! She posted something very goblinish anyway!

And... the icecracker... well, this is courage i think!

Shanazel

Oops. :redface:

It was late and I'd had half a glass of champagne.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

(PS my husband is half Norwegian from Nort Dakota, ja you betcha)

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Just catching up, some good goblinish stuff going on here. The ice breaker is either very brave or had one too many, maybe 1/2 dozen too many.... doesn't he know 'things' freeze and drop off .... I 'm talking about toes and fingers ya know;):lol:

See told you toes will drop off, these guys only have 3 toes, must be ice breaker goblins
~Mosaic

Daimona

(PS my husband is half Norwegian from Nort Dakota, ja you betcha)

:lol: Shan: Do you know where in Norway he has got his roots, and does he understand Norwegian? I just got to think of a song about the cold weather in Norway, but it is impossible to translate the lyrics (too many special words - even some Norwegians are challenged with it)..

Shanazel

Alas, he does not speak Norwegian. His grandparents were native speakers, but by his generation the children all spoke English as a first language and had mixed in with the residents of English and Irish extraction. The family's name was Bakken and it seems like my mother-in-law mentioned Lasoya, or Losoyo or something like that as the place they came from in Norway, but don't quote me. (I know it had one of those o's with a line through it that means "you can't pronounce this letter.")

I'd ask my husband but he'd have less clue than I do. At least I paid attention when his mom talked about it. ;) As far as he's concerned they were Norwegian Lutherans from North Dakota. I think leaving Norway was an act of desparation on the part of a very poor family. They put all their hope in their children becoming American.

Last edited:

walladah

Mosaic,

you are right about the icecracker and i like very much the picture you uploaded -do those goblins dance with knives and arrows on head, as goblin bellydancers do?

And, concerning Norwegian language, i really like the sound of it, as this is the only accessible part of the language to me!

Greek Bonfire

what a dope I am, should have read this thread first. Sorry Greekbonfire I think I stole your day :( and Walladah next year I'll pay more attention.

No, you didn't because mine was the 31st, but I knew I had a very good chance of not being able to post, so I posted mine late on the 30th. You did nothing wrong! :)

Mosaic

Super Moderator
you are right about the icecracker and i like very much the picture you uploaded -do those goblins dance with knives and arrows on head, as goblin bellydancers do?

And, concerning Norwegian language, i really like the sound of it, as this is the only accessible part of the language to me!

Wallahdah, I am sure they do, probably those 2 Goblins are getting ready for their version of sword dancing. The arrows are for their version of cane dancing;)
~Mosaic

gisela

Super Moderator
I copied Shanazel's posts to the real calendar thread. Let's hope some people will be confused by it and make it even more goblin-ey :lol:

walladah

THank you Gisela!

this is very goblinkind of you!

Shanazel, i keep the idea of cane dancing with arrows for the future! Actually, the machete/scimitar one of the goblins holds is fine for dancing already!

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Now I am goblin-y confused, which is the 'real' goblin calendar - maybe the pretend calendar needs to be unstuck!??
~Mosaic

Status
Not open for further replies.