Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dolphina/Goddess Workout

I put this here because that is supposed to be bellydance...but if it gets moved to "off topic"...I won't be that surprised now that I saw it.

I read about Dolphina in another thread so I went and read some web pages about her and watched some clips and....I think this is precisely what I don't want to get involved with and don't want.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but her "Belly dance" videos sound and from the clips look...like exercise videos with some belly dance moves sprinkled in and not real belly dance instruction.

And the whole tone of it all...it could be me with the problem...I have to confess I am a terrible cynic....and probably just a flat out grouch a lot of the time too....but this just strikes me as a lot of "let's all sit around and tell each other how gorgeous we all are." And while I am not against compliments or against feeling beautiful....when it's semi-forced like that, I just can't take the compliments I get seriously and I never think anyone I say anything nice to believes me either...even if I'm being 100% sincere.

I read in another thread about people who couldn't make it through these DVDs....I really don't think I could either.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never seen a full Dolphina DVD but from the clips that I've found on youtube I can tell she's pretty awful.
    Her technique in some videos is at beginner level, and even in her best videos it is not up to par for a professional dancer or teacher.
    She also makes up and spreads bogus information and is god-awful at playing zills.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a copy of her video from years back. dreadful,badly filmed and goddessy-smoddessy rubbish. I think hers is amongst the least desirable instruction out there. She ranges alongside Estelle's "Enchanted Garden" and a certain goddess around my way.

Post Thanks / Like

Fave Dolphina moment from 0:28 -

In the meantime got reminded of the "I is in your lingerie drawer going thru ur knickerz" lingerie makeover... don't even think about it missy.

...and found this, which IMNSHO is an insult to the word martini.

I'm making mine with soya milk and gin.

Post Thanks / Like

wait...I thought your upper body is not supposed to move when doing hip shimmies? Her whole body bounces around like she has no control over what she is doing.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. Beginning dancer. Knows nothing.
    2. Intermediate dancer. Knows everything. Too good to dance with beginners.
    3. Hotshot dancer. Too good to dance with anyone.
    4. Advanced dancer. Dances everything. Especially with beginners
    ~ Attributed to Dick Crum, a folk dance teacher ~

Post Thanks / Like

Well, that's my lesson for today - "don't forget to act those facials of delighted surprise" (0.29) - now I know what's been missing from my dancing all these years!

Can't say much really (well I could but I'm refraining!), just please LadyLoba don't copy her arm positions (but I think you already knew that didn't you? )

Post Thanks / Like

IMO, while Dolphina might be a bit of a flake, she is responsible for bringing many dancers into the dance. The book she wrote is actually quite good, I would recommend it to anyone.

I'm one of maybe two people on this board who thought she did a great job on Conan O'Brien last year (it's ENTERTAINMENT at midnight, people!). By all means, choose another video for your next step if the Goddess thing or less-than-perfect technique gets on your nerves.

Did you ever say which videos you're working from now?

Post Thanks / Like

Right now I'm using Almira's Bellydance 101, Learn How to Bellydance (bought it and started it last year before I read so many bad reviews), and a bunch of the teaching clips on YouTube...but that's just to get me moving/get a few basic moves down ahead of time...so I don't just sit around and do nothing.

As soon as I get money, I'm going to start on the DVDs Aziyade recommended...Leila's Beginner DVD...and Rayna Renee for later...plus Jenna and Jilnia DVDs if I have any money left over....and maybe Sadie.

My plan is to have a decent collection, focus on the top ones people on here suggest, and then just have others to check for different angles, watch for more exposure, etc.

And of course, I want an actual teacher...but where I am right now...my wish to magically wake up looking like Shakira is more likely to come true.

You guys know that whole "belly dancers are strippers" bit of misinformation/stereotype...take the average amount of that, multiply it by ten, and you have the attitude here. Every once in a while you get a small group of women who decide they're going to "bellydance," put on some costumes, get made up, hold one beginner class, host a couple booths, then vanish....belly dance just isn't here....and I have some private issues that prevent me from going to find classes....wish I could.

That's why I'm so strict on making sure that while I'm pretty much forced to rely on DVD/online instruction I get the absolute best possible.

And of course, next place I live....get the apartment set up with utilities and the phone/TV/internet package, order the bus pass, then go find a belly dance class or teacher....then groceries. (except for cat food. we all know I'll feed the cat before I feed myself )

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LadyLoba View Post
    Right now I'm using Almira's Bellydance 101, Learn How to Bellydance (bought it and started it last year before I read so many bad reviews), and a bunch of the teaching clips on YouTube...but that's just to get me moving/get a few basic moves down ahead of time...so I don't just sit around and do nothing.

As soon as I get money, I'm going to start on the DVDs Aziyade recommended...Leila's Beginner DVD...and Rayna Renee for later...plus Jenna and Jilnia DVDs if I have any money left over....and maybe Sadie.

My plan is to have a decent collection, focus on the top ones people on here suggest, and then just have others to check for different angles, watch for more exposure, etc.

And of course, I want an actual teacher...but where I am right now...my wish to magically wake up looking like Shakira is more likely to come true.

You guys know that whole "belly dancers are strippers" bit of misinformation/stereotype...take the average amount of that, multiply it by ten, and you have the attitude here. Every once in a while you get a small group of women who decide they're going to "bellydance," put on some costumes, get made up, hold one beginner class, host a couple booths, then vanish....belly dance just isn't here....and I have some private issues that prevent me from going to find classes....wish I could.

That's why I'm so strict on making sure that while I'm pretty much forced to rely on DVD/online instruction I get the absolute best possible.

And of course, next place I live....get the apartment set up with utilities and the phone/TV/internet package, order the bus pass, then go find a belly dance class or teacher....then groceries. (except for cat food. we all know I'll feed the cat before I feed myself )
    Amira's Bellydance 101 seems to have good reviews, although I've never seen it. I'm not sure who teaches the other one you mentioned.

I think there are some good options in Las Vegas for bellydance...I'm not sure how close you are. Good luck transitioning to the new place!

Post Thanks / Like

LadyLoba, don't feel bad: this topic has been discussed so much on other forums (maybe here as well) and people said much worse things that I have read in this thread. I think DVDs should be up for discussion, it's good to be able to review them and decide what you want to buy or not.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast