Dolphina/Goddess Workout

LadyLoba

I put this here because that is supposed to be bellydance...but if it gets moved to "off topic"...I won't be that surprised now that I saw it.

I read about Dolphina in another thread so I went and read some web pages about her and watched some clips and....I think this is precisely what I don't want to get involved with and don't want.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but her "Belly dance" videos sound and from the clips look...like exercise videos with some belly dance moves sprinkled in and not real belly dance instruction.

And the whole tone of it all...it could be me with the problem...I have to confess I am a terrible cynic....and probably just a flat out grouch a lot of the time too....but this just strikes me as a lot of "let's all sit around and tell each other how gorgeous we all are." And while I am not against compliments or against feeling beautiful....when it's semi-forced like that, I just can't take the compliments I get seriously and I never think anyone I say anything nice to believes me either...even if I'm being 100% sincere.

I read in another thread about people who couldn't make it through these DVDs....I really don't think I could either.

Yame

I've never seen a full Dolphina DVD but from the clips that I've found on youtube I can tell she's pretty awful.
Her technique in some videos is at beginner level, and even in her best videos it is not up to par for a professional dancer or teacher.
She also makes up and spreads bogus information and is god-awful at playing zills.

lizaj

I have a copy of her video from years back. dreadful,badly filmed and goddessy-smoddessy rubbish. I think hers is amongst the least desirable instruction out there. She ranges alongside Estelle's "Enchanted Garden" and a certain goddess around my way.

Aniseteph

Fave Dolphina moment from 0:28 -

In the meantime got reminded of the "I is in your lingerie drawer going thru ur knickerz" lingerie makeover... don't even think about it missy.

...and found this, which IMNSHO is an insult to the word martini.

I'm making mine with soya milk and gin. :D

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
wait...I thought your upper body is not supposed to move when doing hip shimmies? Her whole body bounces around like she has no control over what she is doing.

Pleasant dancer

Well, that's my lesson for today - "don't forget to act those facials of delighted surprise" (0.29) - now I know what's been missing from my dancing all these years! :lol: :think:

Can't say much really (well I could but I'm refraining!), just please LadyLoba don't copy her arm positions (but I think you already knew that didn't you? ;))

da Sage

IMO, while Dolphina might be a bit of a flake, she is responsible for bringing many dancers into the dance. The book she wrote is actually quite good, I would recommend it to anyone.

I'm one of maybe two people on this board who thought she did a great job on Conan O'Brien last year (it's ENTERTAINMENT at midnight, people!). By all means, choose another video for your next step if the Goddess thing or less-than-perfect technique gets on your nerves.

Did you ever say which videos you're working from now?

LadyLoba

Right now I'm using Almira's Bellydance 101, Learn How to Bellydance (bought it and started it last year before I read so many bad reviews), and a bunch of the teaching clips on YouTube...but that's just to get me moving/get a few basic moves down ahead of time...so I don't just sit around and do nothing.

As soon as I get money, I'm going to start on the DVDs Aziyade recommended...Leila's Beginner DVD...and Rayna Renee for later...plus Jenna and Jilnia DVDs if I have any money left over....and maybe Sadie.

My plan is to have a decent collection, focus on the top ones people on here suggest, and then just have others to check for different angles, watch for more exposure, etc.

And of course, I want an actual teacher...but where I am right now...my wish to magically wake up looking like Shakira is more likely to come true.

You guys know that whole "belly dancers are strippers" bit of misinformation/stereotype...take the average amount of that, multiply it by ten, and you have the attitude here. Every once in a while you get a small group of women who decide they're going to "bellydance," put on some costumes, get made up, hold one beginner class, host a couple booths, then vanish....belly dance just isn't here....and I have some private issues that prevent me from going to find classes....wish I could.

That's why I'm so strict on making sure that while I'm pretty much forced to rely on DVD/online instruction I get the absolute best possible.

And of course, next place I live....get the apartment set up with utilities and the phone/TV/internet package, order the bus pass, then go find a belly dance class or teacher....then groceries. (except for cat food. we all know I'll feed the cat before I feed myself :) )

da Sage

Right now I'm using Almira's Bellydance 101, Learn How to Bellydance (bought it and started it last year before I read so many bad reviews), and a bunch of the teaching clips on YouTube...but that's just to get me moving/get a few basic moves down ahead of time...so I don't just sit around and do nothing.

As soon as I get money, I'm going to start on the DVDs Aziyade recommended...Leila's Beginner DVD...and Rayna Renee for later...plus Jenna and Jilnia DVDs if I have any money left over....and maybe Sadie.

My plan is to have a decent collection, focus on the top ones people on here suggest, and then just have others to check for different angles, watch for more exposure, etc.

And of course, I want an actual teacher...but where I am right now...my wish to magically wake up looking like Shakira is more likely to come true.

You guys know that whole "belly dancers are strippers" bit of misinformation/stereotype...take the average amount of that, multiply it by ten, and you have the attitude here. Every once in a while you get a small group of women who decide they're going to "bellydance," put on some costumes, get made up, hold one beginner class, host a couple booths, then vanish....belly dance just isn't here....and I have some private issues that prevent me from going to find classes....wish I could.

That's why I'm so strict on making sure that while I'm pretty much forced to rely on DVD/online instruction I get the absolute best possible.

And of course, next place I live....get the apartment set up with utilities and the phone/TV/internet package, order the bus pass, then go find a belly dance class or teacher....then groceries. (except for cat food. we all know I'll feed the cat before I feed myself :) )

Amira's Bellydance 101 seems to have good reviews, although I've never seen it. I'm not sure who teaches the other one you mentioned.

I think there are some good options in Las Vegas for bellydance...I'm not sure how close you are. Good luck transitioning to the new place!

Amulya

LadyLoba, don't feel bad: this topic has been discussed so much on other forums (maybe here as well) and people said much worse things that I have read in this thread. I think DVDs should be up for discussion, it's good to be able to review them and decide what you want to buy or not.

Shanazel

I had a copy of one of Dolphina's dvds. I put it in the goodie box and it went all over the western hemisphere to about a dozen PO boxes before Alosha took it out in Oregon to keep me from getting it back in Wyoming. It may be the most well-travelled video ever. :D

Farasha Hanem

I have Dolphina's 3-disk "Goddess Workout" set---bought it when there were still no classes in my area. Here is my review in one emoticon: :wall:

Caroline_afifi

call me a 'narrow minded tunnel vision purist' whatever, but... the cover title of any ME dance video matters one hell of alot to me.

I know they say 'never judge a book by it's cover', but I have often found that much is revealed in the title and cover of a 'belly dance' DVD.

LadyLoba

I see these are not at all popular or recommended! I probably would not have ordered these anyway, simply because of the word "workout" in the title. Whenever I see that I always expect it to be just an exercise video with some belly dance or ballet or whatever type of dance blended in and not really instruction in the art form.

But now that I've seen a bunch of her clips and read her web site...to be perfectly honest...all "Lady's grouchy, cynical attitude" aside....Dolphina is the one dancer I've seen that I just really didn't enjoy watching.

Greek Bonfire

I did Dolphina's videos as a beginner and I did find them to be of some use. But I was laughing the whole time, I think WITH her, because they videos were so cheesy. However, I moved on pretty quickly as they did not meet my learning needs for very long.

Farasha Hanem

I did Dolphina's videos as a beginner and I did find them to be of some use. But I was laughing the whole time, I think WITH her, because they videos were so cheesy. However, I moved on pretty quickly as they did not meet my learning needs for very long.

Yeah, I used them as a baby beginner, before our area offered bellydance classes. I have to admit, this was not very nice of me at all, but I used to say to her as I zilled: "You are a nitwit, I'm a bellydancer!" :redface:

If you've ever seen her zill DVD, you'll get my sarcastic sense of humor. :redface:

:think: Wait, come to think of it, I think it was the Hubby who actually bought that DVD for me! :doh:

Greek Bonfire

Yeah, I used them as a baby beginner, before our area offered bellydance classes. I have to admit, this was not very nice of me at all, but I used to say to her as I zilled: "You are a nitwit, I'm a bellydancer!" :redface:

If you've ever seen her zill DVD, you'll get my sarcastic sense of humor. :redface:

:think: Wait, come to think of it, I think it was the Hubby who actually bought that DVD for me! :doh:

I did the zill DVD! All I can say is that it made me laugh; however, unfortunately, it didn't teach me much on zilling except doing warmups for my fingers first :lol:

Yame

I can't believe she has a zill DVD out. I saw a clip of her "dancing" and "playing" zills at a TV show and it was some of the worst zilling I've ever heard.

I played the zills better than that the first time I ever tried a pair on. How can someone who plays zills below "first attempt" level teach someone else how to play them?

I know I might sound very cruel and mean right now. But I am not saying these things out of cruelty. I am saying them because they need to be said, because it's a shame that there are people out there putting themselves in a position of authority in this dance who are not even at intermediate level by the loosest of criteria.

As much as I'd hate to be the belly dance police, unless other dancers speak out and reveal their true opinions when someone who so blatantly disrespects this dance by taking the position of a master when she is only a beginner, these people will never feel any guilt or shame for their actions, which will breed more and more actions like that.

Sometimes, fear of criticism is a good thing.

Greek Bonfire

I can't believe she has a zill DVD out. I saw a clip of her "dancing" and "playing" zills at a TV show and it was some of the worst zilling I've ever heard.

I played the zills better than that the first time I ever tried a pair on. How can someone who plays zills below "first attempt" level teach someone else how to play them?

I know I might sound very cruel and mean right now. But I am not saying these things out of cruelty. I am saying them because they need to be said, because it's a shame that there are people out there putting themselves in a position of authority in this dance who are not even at intermediate level by the loosest of criteria.

As much as I'd hate to be the belly dance police, unless other dancers speak out and reveal their true opinions when someone who so blatantly disrespects this dance by taking the position of a master when she is only a beginner, these people will never feel any guilt or shame for their actions, which will breed more and more actions like that.

Sometimes, fear of criticism is a good thing.

Yame, constructive criticism is good. You are being straightforward, not catty or mean. And yes, Caroline, that's the one!

LadyLoba, there are some good workout videos there. Jillina's newest one is very good and Rania has a few good ones as well. I use these when I want to drill as well as workout with combinations when I cannot do much else (like right now). So not all videos that say workout are bad. Dolphina has been a controversial subject, mostly because of her sexual innuendos using bellydance more than anything else.