Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually a bit better. I'm able to move much more in the shoulder/neck area today... I did a nice, long stretch last night that included lifting my head up and elongating my neck. Something popped... have no idea what... in my neck and it was like instant relief. I'm still not top form, but it'll do. I can pick up my youngest child with no pain at all (He's 8, so it's not like I'm picking up a toddler or anything LOL!) and while I still can't do head circles quickly, I can go slowly without pain. I'm thinking I may just need to build up my neck and shoulder muscles before I try any zaar-ing again.

I am still going to go to the doctor though - I dunno what that popping was and if it was misalignment or anything, I'll need to take extra care not to repeat it.

Post Thanks / Like

Even after you recover, maybe you should leave off zaar-ing, at least for awhile, sweetheart. That has me worried.

Post Thanks / Like

Doctor's appt. is tomorrow after my son's therapy. I'll hopefully know more of what the problem is then. I think I will stick to normal head snakes/slides until I learn how to do these properly 100%. No more zaar-ing for a good, long while.

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds to me like you had a muscle strain, which can happen when you do a new movement that your body isn't used to. Best treatment? RICE or rest, ice, and because it's your neck and shoulders you can't do either of compression or elevation! Add in some effective pain relief (an anti inflammatory and analgesic like ibuprofen and paracetamol) and even some rub on voltaren gel then once the initial pain settles, heat and gentle stretching will be all good.
    Unless you have tingling or numbness, or maybe loss of sensation or power you won't have done any neurological damage, so it's sure to settle down. And if you decide to do Zaar again, make sure you're well warmed up first and that you've been shown correct technique.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Elfie View Post
    Actually a bit better. I did a nice, long stretch last night that included lifting my head up and elongating my neck. Something popped... have no idea what... in my neck and it was like instant relief. .
    If something popped, it's quite likely you had put your neck out of alignment.

When you do that, it's usual for the pain to radiate to your shoulders and even down your arm. It's a really weird kind of sparkly feeling.

Sounds like you've "popped" it back in again, but there could still be damage to the disc.

Zaaring is very dangerous if you have any kind of weakness in the neck. It can even cause a stroke!

Avoiding Injury from Belly Dance

Post Thanks / Like

I have permanent neck problems, mostly soft tissue. I find that yoga helps a lot too as well as pilates. But as Bellydance Oz said, zaaring can be dangerous and shouldn't be used very much.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, the doctor said that she thinks it was a combination of problems... slight strain and pinched nerves and perhaps some misalignment as well that I "self-corrected" as she put it. She's sending me to a chiropractor and I had x-rays today after my appointment. She told me that if I experience that sort of pain again I'd better come to her immediately and not try to wait for it to go away.

One nice thing: she said she admired the fact that I was exploring other cultures, but when doing something that involves heavy neck movement, it was best to take it slow.

So, I suppose I'll know more once I go to the chiropractor. The doctor gave me some very weak muscle relaxers to use "only when needed" until I see the chiro, and some prescription strength ibuprofen with anti-inflammatory.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for keeping us updated on your condition, Elfie. Take it easy, and let us know what the chiropractor says. *hugs*
    Bellydance Oz, thank you so much for that link, and thank you, Shira, for writing the article on avoiding injury. I hope all of us reads it, adheres to it, and reviews it often.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12