Brainstorm session, a general event.

Nejmeh

Would you like to share some ideas on how to put together a summer event that is targeted at the main public.(aimed to raise some money and do some advertising) Besides being able to take some workshops and look at some shows etc, how to make an bd-oriented event without it costing too much?

I do know a lot of dj`s, but they are all in way different musical styles then bd(the closest one has some kind of funky bollywood tech mix going on). Could be a way to end the evening though..:think:

I think if we would live in de main cities this would not even be a big problem, the bd scene is big enough there I think. Here, not so much. More cows then people.

Greek Bonfire

I've been in lots of benefits, however, I never organized one. But we used our own CDs instead of a DJ, we danced for free, and snacks were optional during the intermission, thus keeping the price down to the GP. If it's a really good cause, people will come, just advertise it as much as you can without spending a lot.

Nejmeh

I've been in lots of benefits, however, I never organized one. But we used our own CDs instead of a DJ, we danced for free, and snacks were optional during the intermission, thus keeping the price down to the GP. If it's a really good cause, people will come, just advertise it as much as you can without spending a lot.

Using cds is a good alternative, I still want to try if some of the djs won`t play for less. I was also thinking about having some stands. We have alot of creativity here, perhaps a foodstall and some beverages...and get some money from that too(renting out the spots)

gisela

Super Moderator
Are you raising money for the bellydance community or for charity? Or for just paying off the event?

Just some brainstorm ideas:
Go together with another dancestyle-community. That way you can reach more people as the network gets doubled.

Get in on already planned bigger events like some festival for culture or street festival or whatever. That way you can start small with already set frames and then expand from there.

Do some free beginner try-it out- classes together with the show etc.

Don't go too big from the beginning. Build up your reputation.

Invite dancers from other cities to come and perform and let them stay in your houses for free. (make them pay for the workshops if you have any, and of course pay for ticktes to show if they are not performing) Make a really nice atmosphere so they get good vibes from your event.

Greek Bonfire

Are you raising money for the bellydance community or for charity? Or for just paying off the event?

Go together with another dancestyle-community. That way you can reach more people as the network gets doubled.

Get in on already planned bigger events like some festival for culture or street festival or whatever. That way you can start small with already set frames and then expand from there.

Invite dancers from other cities to come and perform and let them stay in your houses for free. (make them pay for the workshops if you have any, and of course pay for ticktes to show if they are not performing) Make a really nice atmosphere so they get good vibes from your event.

I was assuming a charity event.

Nejmeh

Raising money for the bd community, to be able to continue some other events. And if we could get the word out that bellydance is great to do and see that would be a nice benefit too!:D

I like the idea of teaming up with another dancestyle. Joining up with a big festival would be tricky though, because half of those events are controlled by that former employer of mine and well, let`s just say I would rather break my ankle then him see me or my fellowdancers even do a shimmy!

Well, I would like to thank you ladies for the advice but it looks like the idea has got killed in the bud. I found out next year our city will probably not allow more then 70 events above 70 herz(something like that, quiet at least). So that will mean even the settled events and organisers will have problems:(