Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been dancing for 4 years and I am not sure that I even kow 30 moves!!! Get the basics right down and you will be able to vary them according to music and move - and I suspect that these are what you are calling seprate moves.

you can always put loads of prctive into drilling. You will need to "grow" a whole new st of muscles and develop range of movement.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree; the only way I know 30 is adding layers and levels and travelling to the basics.

I think it's much better to focus on those basics and concentrate on really getting into them - perfecting the control, developing range and stamina with them, and exploring dancing to Arabic music with them - than go for a syllabus of moves.

If you haven't got the basics right (meaning having a certain amount of muscle strength/ control/ range/ stamina, all of which takes time when they aren't muscles you usually use that way) you are setting yourself up for problems when you add the variations.

I still envy you your self-discipline LadyL!

Post Thanks / Like

OK...Im getting everything from "This is impossible" to "You might even learn more with that much determination"....

But either way, I know I'm not aiming too low...and that was really my reason for posting this.....

Nobody need worry that I won't work until I learn to do things well....as I said earlier....that's a given for me. If I didn't want to do this well, I wouldn't even bother at all.

Remember...my 6 weeks isn't over yet...just because I found these and wrote them on a list doesn't mean I'm going to succeed in mastering them. If I aim for 30 and learn 10 really well....then that is how many I will have learned.

Either way, in addition to practicing and drilling, I am researching, studying, making attempts at dancing, etc

I'm not disagreeing with anyone....what I'm calling "different" probably is in fact called variations by others, esp more advanced dancers...I'm going by what I'm learning from the many different DVDs and instructional videos online that I'm using. If a teacher on a video demonstrates a move that is new to me and calls it something different, then I write it down, practice it, etc...and call it whatever they call it. I'm sure when I know more about the dance, I'll be able to see that what "Teacher A" calls "Step ABC" is the same thing as "Step A" with this and that variation.....but I'm too new to be able to pick things like that out yet.

This is really just my goal outline...I hope I learn to do everything I have down and do it well.....and if I don't...then the next 6 weeks can always be my very own "Beginning Belly Dance II" The same thing...just get better at it.
    Last edited by LadyLoba; 11-11-2010 at 08:29 PM. Reason: I'm afraid I unintentionally sounded rude or disrespectful

Post Thanks / Like

Whether you reach 5, 10 or 30 movements and variations (the number doesn't really matter as long as you work hard) - another advantage of this intensive period is that you'll probably build a good base for your further studies in MED. Be sure to get some feedback from a teacher as well (if you don't have someone near to give you constructive feedback, videotape yourself and post it on youtube or make a deal with a teacher who can assess your videos) to be sure you don't do anything wrong.
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought of that...if I don't learn it now, then I'll at least be familiar with it and can master it later.

I'm doing it the way they do it in writing.....the option to take the same thing many times.

My self designed "Belly dance I" might seem like it has a ton of material...but depending on how well I do, my "Belly Dance 8" self designed course might be the same thing....in other words....I might be repeating my "6 week course" over and over again many many times.

And I'm making sure I'm not too rigid with it. For example...I had "chest circles" on week 1 or 2...and it's week 3...but I honestly can't do these well. Mine are choppy and not at all smooth like they need to be...so I have a little star next to that move...and in my notes I have it that I need to work on that. I'm making sure that when I mark something "learned" I can do it, not just "know what it is." And I'm making sure that even if I think I have it down...I keep working on improving it and practicing it anyway...and look at other ways other professionals and instructors besides the ones I've learned from.. teach and execute the move to try to look for ways to improve.

But I guess that goes with all the arts.....you just have to practice and practice and learn and learn and go back over things and improve. I don't think anyone would argue that Dean Koontz is a professional fiction writer....he has countless published and bestselling horror novels....and I have heard that he re-writes every page....page...not chapter...page...a minimum of 26 times.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LadyLoba View Post
    I thought of that...if I don't learn it now, then I'll at least be familiar with it and can master it later.
    Sorry, but you are really setting yourself up to fail. Physical co-ordination isn't like writing. You are laying down neural pathways. If you practice wrong - and do it over and over - then you have to first unlearn the wrong move before you can learn the right way. 10 000 repetitions to get a skill - it takes time.

You have to get accurate feedback from an experienced dancer (for just feedback being a teacher isn't so important) Please do not parctice something which is almost right just to tick another box. Do it right.

Post Thanks / Like

I promise I will do everything correctly...thanks everyone for your input on thi

I know dancing isnt like writing.....

I would especially like to thank everyone who had encouraging words for me. I don't often get encouraging words in anything, and it means so much to me to hear something other than "You are going to fail" or "You can't do this" or "You're setting yourself up for failure." Everyone who said something other than that...yours is the advice I shall listen to, and I will certainly let you all know how I do. Again, thank you to everyone, and I appreciate and have taken into account your advice...but especially thank you to everyone who has encouraged me to keep studying and to aim high even though I can't have a teacher at this time.
    Last edited by LadyLoba; 11-12-2010 at 07:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say it...
    The people who have mentioned potential problems are not doing it to be discouraging or negative or put you down; they are giving you the benefit of (between them) years of experience in studying and teaching belly dance. They are trying to help you avoid discouraging setbacks and pitfalls, and really get somewhere with your dancing, not set you back.

If you won't listen to this advice that's up to you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LadyLoba View Post
    I would especially like to thank everyone who had encouraging words for me. I don't often get encouraging words in anything, and it means so much to me to hear something other than "You are going to fail" or "You can't do this" or "You're setting yourself up for failure." Everyone who said something other than that...yours is the advice I shall listen to, and I will certainly let you all know how I do.
    What I read is people with experience in dancing telling you how it is. By your own admission this is a new area for you. Why on earth would you not listen to many, many years of experience? If you don't listen to good advice you are more likely to fail. There is that word again "fail" - it happens most often with inexperience and arrogance.

Post Thanks / Like

I have just oticed this plan is for 6 weeks. I thought this plan was way too ambitious for 6 months. You can't expect to master one move in a week - let alone 5. The moves may be variations of each other but if yuo can't do the basic move to perfection, you can't move. you need to train your muscles - not only the ones you use when you start to practice the moves - but those which you can only start to involve through time and practice.

My first teacher's did not tell me about posture. I learnt to dance quite well - but when I found out where I was going wrong 3 years later it is now a constant struggle not to do things automaticaly as I have learnt them but to do it right.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast