How much will I be fined by the belly dance police if...

Yame

Didn't read the whole thread yet, but nail polish is more an extra to me than the most important thing. If you have a beautiful costume, your make-up is perfect, hair looks great, are people really going to look for nail polish? They would have to come quite up close and aren't they too busy looking at your dancing in the first place? At some venues when you dance closer to the audience I understand nail polish more than for stage. On stage it gets nearly invisible.
Of course nails should look well cared for and then you can easily get away without nail polish.

I myself have danced with and without. But I love to have nail polish matching my costumes and have also my toenails painted. I doubt though that it makes a big difference for the audience.

To be perfectly honest with you, I've never noticed a dancer's nails while she's performing. Even on fairly close venues (like restaurants)...

Mya

Dear Bellydance Police...i have...purchased glitter dot fabric...there are many dots....of glitter. :shok:

can this be forgiven?

PracticalDancer

As the first member of the BDP to reply (and a member of Glitterdot Lovers And Defenders - GLAD), I hereby give you a waiver of indemnity to wear the dots with pride! :D

Regards,

Anala (runs to go pet her own glitterdot costumes)

Lara

I have to agree with most of the posts here- clean & nice is more important than polished. I always thought the medium to dark red polish was more distracting. When I was in a troupe which required nail polish, I used press on nails. This was in part because I have short nails for everything from playing flute/guitar/oud to bread baking and gardening, and I wasn't overly fond of the look of dark polish on super short nails. I do like a medium/light polish from time to time, but press on nails were easier/faster/less smelly and lower risk for messes than polish and I could remove them right after a show without fuss/mess. You do have to apply them early enough that the glue will set before you go on stage, or risk getting one caught in a veil or something and pulled off. If I did it an hour before heading out to a show, I never had a problem with nails coming loose at inappropriate times.

Farasha Hanem

Dear Bellydance Police...i have...purchased glitter dot fabric...there are many dots....of glitter. :shok:

can this be forgiven?

Forgiven! :D *glances over at her own pretty maroon glitterdot fabric*

As the first member of the BDP to reply (and a member of Glitterdot Lovers And Defenders - GLAD), I hereby give you a waiver of indemnity to wear the dots with pride! :D

Regards,

Anala (runs to go pet her own glitterdot costumes)

Anala, I love you! xD

Apphia

I personally can't have long nails.. (this seems to come up in all my posts, lol,) I'm a Massage therapist, so my nails MUST stay short.. I also work at a local frozen custard shop, so they must remain polish-free due to food prep, and they must also stay short... I do know that if you enjoy polished nails, you can always look into gel nails like Shellac, or Axium, provided by nail technicians.. it stays on up to 2 weeks (at the end of 2 weeks, you'll have that grown out polish look, though) but it's chip free, and it's instantly dry when your appointment is done.. goes on in like 20 minutes. Gentle on nails, easy to come off, no drills etc... just a thought

other than that, no problem with short, polish-free nails.. It doesn't bother me!

Apphia

Here's another thought (although, I still think clean, polish-free nails are fine) You could always try those nail polish strips from Sally Hansen. Peel, and stick them on your nails, then file the remainder... it's fast, and from what I understand stays on just like polish... so if you want that polished look, but don't have time, I'd try that.. I'm the type of person that when I DO try to polish my nails, I seem to always smear, smudge, or ding them... that's why I like the gels that recently came out.. Shellac by Creative Nail Design, or Axxium by OPI.. I know Tammy Taylor makes some too, but not sure on the name... Other than that... I usually go without..

Yame

Here's another thought (although, I still think clean, polish-free nails are fine) You could always try those nail polish strips from Sally Hansen. Peel, and stick them on your nails, then file the remainder... it's fast, and from what I understand stays on just like polish... so if you want that polished look, but don't have time, I'd try that.. I'm the type of person that when I DO try to polish my nails, I seem to always smear, smudge, or ding them... that's why I like the gels that recently came out.. Shellac by Creative Nail Design, or Axxium by OPI.. I know Tammy Taylor makes some too, but not sure on the name... Other than that... I usually go without..

You see, although I dislike the hassle of putting polish on my nails (and removing it), my main reason for disliking nailpolish (and polish remover) is that it's so toxic and harmful to the natural nail. These strips might be practical, but they sounds like they are the same as nailpolish in the other aspects.

Amulya

can this be forgiven?

That definitely can be forgiven, actually: recommented :D, I love those colors. I have a skirt like that, with very small glitterdots (of different sizes and randomly placed)
I couldn't open the picture to admire it in a bigger version though :(

What are you making?