How Much to Charge for One On One Lessons

goddessyasaman

I recently had to stop teaching at the location that I was teaching at for the last two years because I am moving to far away, And I am going to start teaching one on one lessons and group lessons, I plan to come to you, How much do you think I should charge for these classes, I was thinking that $35 dollars a class would be a good price since my old classes were $20.0 a class, I have to think about travel time and gas. Does anyone have any advice on a price?

Darshiva

Go with an hourly rate, figure out how much it costs you to travel to teach & use that to base your 'travel expenses'. Most teachers I know charge a rate that combines the hourly rate with travel time so each person may get a different rate depending on how far you have to travel. Since this is what I observed, it's what I do myself.

As for how much to charge, well only you know how much you think you're worth. Charge accordingly.

Last edited:

Samira_dncr

I recently had to stop teaching at the location that I was teaching at for the last two years because I am moving to far away, And I am going to start teaching one on one lessons and group lessons, I plan to come to you, How much do you think I should charge for these classes, I was thinking that $35 dollars a class would be a good price since my old classes were $20.0 a class, I have to think about travel time and gas. Does anyone have any advice on a price?

Personally, your price sounds low to me. Group classes are not the same as private lessons. I'd at least double the cost. Around here, I know dancers charging $50-$75/private lesson. I'd actually try to get a feel of what other people charge in your area. Call a karate studio or another dance studio and ask what private lessons cost.

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
The prices do seem low to me as well. For example a local studio here that offeres classes, that the students go to, are $130 for 10 weeks at once a week for 1 hour.

However private lessons at a studio I've taken with a professional dancer and it ran $60-70 per hour time slot. Now if she was coming to my place I'd expect that to be even more.

Shanazel

Sounds low to me, too. If you are moving to an area where private dance teachers are few and far between, checking music lesson charges is a good way to figure what the going rate for private dance lessons should be. I paid $45 per hour for cello lessons fifteen years ago and I travelled to the teacher's studio.

Greek Bonfire

I've only known one teacher who charged $35.00 and that was because it was her studio. Otherwise, it starts at $50.00 and can go as high as $90.00, possibly even more.

Chani

Here in Australia it is $60 and hour for a private lesson and you can share that between 2 or 3 people if you want. It is less if you provide the venue. Of course there is an exchange rate to factor in if you can be bothered.

Salome

Administrator
Ditto on what has already been said. At least 60 an hour... and that is if they come to you. Not only are you giving one on one instruction, you are also crafting a lesson plan to that student, specific to what he or she wants to work on...

Belly Love

I agree with the others, that definitely seems low. If I were getting a private lesson, I would expect it to be at least $50- no matter where you live.

Outi

In Cairo the fee for private lessions is 150-600 le (27-110 $)/person/hour. Every teacher have their own price.

If there is several students (1-4) it doesn't lower the price per person.
If there is bigger groups then there might be discount.

Of course you have to travel to Cairo first.

Gia al Qamar

Yes to what everyone's said. I know no one in the NY metro area, CT, MD, PA who charges less than $60 (I think the average is $70) for an hour in their home studio.

bashta

It really depends on your goals, too.

Like, I rent studio space for $30 per class (one hour). So, I charge $15 a head, because then I make a profit with three students (considering taxes and insurance). My private lessons are slightly more expensive, but not prohibitively so.

And why? Because my major goal isn't to make money, or even be self-sufficient - it's just to make this art form accessible to everybody. Eventually, I'd like to make a living doing it, but for now, it's a chance to share my love with the rest of the world (and learn new things, myself).

Unfortunately, a lot of people then see me as cheap (think too cheap to be worth it) (at least, for private lessons - mine are actually expensive for group classes in my area) so they take lessons with others instead.

Pricing is a struggle at first, but eventually, it comes down to how much you need to make to break even (taxes, insurance, supplies, advertising, transportation). Now take that number and add in a minimum hourly wage that can support you on the limited hours you can work per week (unless you somehow teach 40 hour-long private lessons every week). Add in a premium for your skills (for veil work, or for cane, or sword, or amazing arms...).

goddessyasaman

This is a great help, I thought I should charge more but was unsure because there are very few teachers in my area that do private lessons, thank you for all the help, I do have a studio at my home that I'm fixing up now so that is a good Idea too, thank all you ladys, and if anyone else has something to add, I would love to her it.

gisela

Super Moderator
Well I really want a new costume but I don't have money, and I want to get a haircut but I can't afford it. So someone should really GIVE it to me for free! Out of love! I don't care that the costume makers and hairdressers have to pay rent and food. I want. Give it to me!

:confused:

Last edited:

Yshka

Yes, I very much agree with everybody else's comments. Around here (Netherlands) it's the same, we start from about 3/40 euros (about 50 dollars) going up. I think you would absolutely be fair to ask at least 60 dollars!

Dear Gisela, I am totally going to try and rep you for that post. You got me from lurking to signing in to do just that :lol:. Dance is love, yes, but one has to live as well and for many of us this is our profession and income. One cannot make a
living on love alone...

Edited to add: EEEEEK!! I realised what I just said... some people do actually, but in a whole different profession :shok: :lol:

Edited to add more: darn, Gis I cannot give you rep. Please know that I'm sending it by thought!! :D

Last edited:

Shara

I can love someone enough to teach them dance for free if they can mow my lawn for free, clean my house for free, or do other work that I need done for free. It is called bartering. If you have a skill set, you can try it! Some people barter, some don't, but don't expect things for free. Nothing is truly free but the love of God. Even friendship expects friendship in return.

mahsati_janan

My standard cost for private lessons is $50/hr plus studio rental fees. Students who are currently enrolled in my group classes have access to the discounted rate of $35/hr plus studio rental fees. The studio rental fee depends on location and is between $15-$25/hr. I do not teach private lessons at individual's homes or places of business for liability reasons.

Shara

I don't think I would teach in someone's home unless I personally knew them. It is simply a safety/trust issue. I would not trust that I would necessarily be safe.