Chat for this site

bashta

I can't believe I missed this thread... I'd like a chat room. Mostly because I get insanely unmotivated and could use a pep talk from time to time, but also because you guys are fabulous and seem like good people to get to know. And forums are just so formal for me.

LadyLoba

Oh I'm all for a chat and would be hanging out in it all the time and getting to know all of you guys better....this forum does seem to be full of very nice people....I'd just love a chat as long as it's not too much work for the moderators and admin.

I would especially love a chat on here....I have tried other chats off and on...and even recently went looking for a new one. I spend a lot of time looking for resources to recommend for work...and what I learned is that I should tell anyone in an especially vulnerable state to avoid chat rooms!

There are about 4 or 5 general "clean" rooms around for adults (meaning 18 years old and older) but they just don't draw the type of people this forum draws. Most of the people who you find in general chats have no interest in making friends...a lot of those internet romance money scams that tend to be based in Russia, Nigeria, and Ghana use those sites, there are a lot of men who sit on there and send dirty chat requests to anyone they think might be a woman, and there are a lot who you can tell by their nicknames are in to some pretty sickening things.....and no moderator kicks them or says "That better be a joke and you need to change it."

I'd be comfortable chatting here...this site draws people who really do want to make friends with others who share a common interest/learn about belly dance/help others.

Shanazel

I went in the old chat room a few times and found it confusing and disconcerting- way too much going on for my little brain to keep up with.

LadyLoba

Bigger chat rooms can be confusing. The only "social" places I ever go online are here, Facebook, and one chat I pop in from time to time (that seems to have the least nastiness when the mods are around) and I pretty much just look for the couple people I know and talk to them.

Too few can cause issues as well though. I know of one chat room that claims to have thousands of members...but only about 15-18 people use the chat with any regularity...and one person pretty much took it over. This person sits in there day and night...I used to pop in, and it would be her just sitting there. She acts like she owns the place, even though she is one of the newest people there, calling other people who have been there longer "newbies," bossing the moderators around even though they're doing a good job, making room announcements, telling everyone "we're a family" when speaking of the members of the room, preaching her personal religious beliefs, acting as an "expert" on any topic someone brings up. I quit even checking in that room and I'm sure a few others did too, just because of her. And it's because the room is so small. If there were 50 or 60 people in there, she wouldn't be able to do it so completely.

I wasn't here when there was a chat before, so I'm not sure how full it gets at any one time.....

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I think it would just be another piece of programming to deal with in the first place, and it may be used out of curiosity for a short while then would once again fall into disuse.

Lady Loba, you seem to find the strangest of forums LOL so many horrid people ... I am so happy we have our little corner of the world, just the odd snipe every now & then then it all returns to normal.
~Mosaic

Greek Bonfire

Bigger chat rooms can be confusing. The only "social" places I ever go online are here, Facebook, and one chat I pop in from time to time (that seems to have the least nastiness when the mods are around) and I pretty much just look for the couple people I know and talk to them.

Too few can cause issues as well though. I know of one chat room that claims to have thousands of members...but only about 15-18 people use the chat with any regularity...and one person pretty much took it over. This person sits in there day and night...I used to pop in, and it would be her just sitting there. She acts like she owns the place, even though she is one of the newest people there, calling other people who have been there longer "newbies," bossing the moderators around even though they're doing a good job, making room announcements, telling everyone "we're a family" when speaking of the members of the room, preaching her personal religious beliefs, acting as an "expert" on any topic someone brings up. I quit even checking in that room and I'm sure a few others did too, just because of her. And it's because the room is so small. If there were 50 or 60 people in there, she wouldn't be able to do it so completely.

I wasn't here when there was a chat before, so I'm not sure how full it gets at any one time.....

Sounds like everyday life to me! :lol:

LadyLoba

LOL...sounds like Greek Bonfire knows a few of "those" herself!

Let's see...I've been to all the general adult "clean" chats owned by the people who run "easy-chat." There are about 4-5, but "easy chat" is the closest to really being "clean." The rest, you log in and all you get are hinky pm messages from people you don't even know online. The other two...the one the preachy woman took over is for a specific issue...the other one is for a health issue, but it's actually a very dangerous room. It's creepy, and they allow scammers to hang out there, even when they know it's a scammer.

Other than that...bhuz, here, and some depression forums that were too big to really be useful....and a forum about multi level marketing. (I almost tried it but read some of the posts there and changed my mind)

Amulya

I am in one chat room where everybody is so nice. No mods, but just nice people. I think it helps if you have a place where people have something in common :)