Chat for this site

Salome

Administrator
We did have live chat, that was some years ago now. We had our reasons for dumping it but I might be open to considering it if enough people want to IM here.

Eshta

Omg I remember the live chat!

I don't think people used it a lot though, did they Salome? I could be wrong. There weren't as many Brits back then and the US and UK are pretty off in terms of timezones...

Salome

Administrator
Yeah, that was in, I'm gonna say 2006 or so. We definately didn't have as many members then, so the traffic on chat was not as heavy as it might be now.

LadyLoba

Salome, if you're trying to see how many people would be interested in a chat room....I would love to chat here. I've tried chatting online before and didn't like it because most chat environments aren't the greatest. When I tried general "clean" chats for people over 18...all I ever got were people I didn't even know sending me a bunch of random requests for explicit talk....and this was after I registered my nickname with a note that said "clean chat ONLY" And when I tried chats for serious issues all I did was stumble into a hand full of "cyberspace cliques".....five to fifteen people who behaved as though it were their private room, when it was not. This site isn't at all "cliquish"....and its very well moderated...so Im sure a chat here would be great!

Last edited:

Salome

Administrator
The thing about chat is that we can have rules but there is not a way to moderate in real time. People are on their honour to follow the guidelines. There were some conflicts that played out when we had chat... that then carried over to the forum. We just decided it wasn't worth the drama and grief. But let's see, if enough people want that feature, maybe we can try it again.

LadyLoba

I see.....I can certainly understand that. I hate getting into fights in general, and I've left web sites over forum and chat room fights. That's why I sort of unofficially requested that my thread about my self designed study plan be closed........I'm not a moderator or an administrator so people can disregard my hint and post all they want....but I'm not going to add to it anymore or read it anymore, because it feels like it might be turning in the argument direction....and I don't want to get into arguments on here or start arguments between other people on here.

Chats are really hard to moderate.....I think that's why most of the ones I found fell into the gutter so fast...the moderators couldnt be there to moderate all the time so they just gave it up...I still hope for one on here...but I understand if it's too much to moderate.

Though I do promise to behave :)

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I am not sure that I'd use a chat room, I tend to avoid them, as you can get caught up for hours chatting. I have the facebook one set so I am offline and yahoo messenger is always set so I am invisible to everyone, but I can see if anyone comes on so I can chat if I wanted too. I tend to use chat programs only when I am travelling to keep in touch with family & a couple of friends when away. Also there are the difficulties of moderating chats. Imagine spammers joining up and suddenly spamming a chat room basically a mod would have to be available to mod chat rooms as conversations are going on. Could be a bit of a nightmare.:D
~Mosaic

Amulya

It would be nice if we could have a chat room, but maybe just for regular users so it's a bit more safe? I think Bhuz had one for a while as well, but it was always empty. You would have to set up times to meet there, otherwise you can keep waiting!

Nath

I know there's not a good way to moderate one, but most will allow you to limit who has access (by user group). Most also give the users the ability to block chat by someone they find offensive or not to their taste. The chat applets I see associated with most forums has some flexibility that way.

If one were instituted here I think it would be one of the rare ones I'd join in. I'm not much of one for chat either, but I'm willing to be I'd learn a lot. :) Chat is also a great opportunity to pick up on things that might not come up in static post conversations that lead to new forum threads and expanded/drill down topics. It can be a big enhancement depending on the community of users.

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
All the chat rooms on forum I've been on have failed after a period of time for various reasons. I don't use them as I don't spend that much time online. I also prefer to only talk to people that I know and have intereacted with for a long time.

onela

FWIW I feel like I overdosed on web-based chat clients on forums in the late 90's, I would be interested in scheduled, moderated live-chat with pro and high-profile dancers, though!

nightdancer

Chats can also be set so that if there is a moderator present, they can boot and freeze anyone who is being disrespectful. Also, they can be set so that you have to have a certain number of posts before the chat link goes live. This would be to keep the spammers out.

LadyLoba

I hope we have one....but I'm not a moderator or the administrator...meaning I'm not the one who would have to deal with all of the settings and the being online at certain times, so....easy for ME to say "let's have a chat room". :):):)

If the mods and admins decide on a chat room...I will definitely use it....but I will understand if they decide not to.

I completely understand being soured on chat rooms. In the interest of not making a mess and making the moderators move this around for me, I won't go into it here....it's a private message/off topic kind of story....but I sure do have quite a couple of "chat room" tales....one almost ended in a hospital stay for someone involved in it.

IF you guys decided to do a chat room...this will probably be the only chat room I use too.

Greek Bonfire

I wouldn't be good in chat rooms because many times I edit what I post after I re-read it and think it could be taken the wrong way when I only mean it one way. Sometimes things can come off being irreverent and flippant when at times one only means to throw in some humor.

LadyLoba

Irreverent and flippant, Greek Bonfire? You're way ahead of me in the manners and social skills! I have to say I hear ya on that one...I've edited things on here because I re-read them and thought I sounded like a flat out jerk. :):):)

There is one thread on here...the Dolphina one...where I still think I sound a little too mean.:mad::mad::mad:

(I know that's the "mad" emoticon...I just think it looks more like me being mean...:) )

Greek Bonfire

Irreverent and flippant, Greek Bonfire? You're way ahead of me in the manners and social skills!

Thanks! I learned the hard way when I realized that not everybody knows me so they wouldn't know my sardonic humor ;) I've taken a thrashing more than once because I came off sounding different than I meant to.

Farasha Hanem

Chats can also be set so that if there is a moderator present, they can boot and freeze anyone who is being disrespectful. Also, they can be set so that you have to have a certain number of posts before the chat link goes live. This would be to keep the spammers out.

This could work, if there are enough people interested, and having the ability to "ignore" people who annoy would be useful. Setting the chat to "members only" would also be good. However, that won't cut all the potential drama. Humans are humans.

My voice actor friend has a live Stickam web cam chat which I help him moderate, and I have the ability to "kick" spammers and trolls out for a 24-hour period. If they keep coming back and causing trouble, since Kyle is the admin, he can permanently ban them. We do have a few members from different parts of the world, including the UK. This works with him because he's an insomniac, anyway. :rolleyes: Not sure how well a live chat would work on this forum, but hey, if enough people are interested, we could give it a try. If it doesn't work, we can always drop it again.