restaurant owner expectations

anonymouss

Question: have you ever been asked to remain at a restaurant for an entire evening for a holiday party? I found out about a gig for New Year's, but the expectation is for it to last for four hours (not sure how many sets, but you'd be there for that set amount of time). I never heard of such a thing. I was thinking two 20 minute sets and leave. Is this a new trend?
To expect that from entertainment, I can't imagine what a rate would be.
Any thoughts on this??

Chani

My thoughts are that they better expect to pay for your time.

Also, if you are expected to dance on and off for 4 hours, even with decent breaks you will be tired. I'd possilby share the gig with another dancer or dancers. I'm not sure I would want to watch the same bellydancer perform over and again for 4 hours. Perhaps they don't care about repetition.

It may be that they just don't realise how expensive such an extended gig will be or they may just have an idea of you dancing when guests arrive and also dancing when the New Year arrives and so figured they'd hire you for the whole party. Maybe they don't realise that bellydancers don't usually dance for such an extended time.

Gia al Qamar

What Chani said.
When clients request my appearance at an gala event (like a big wedding or a corporate event), I figure in wait time 15-30 mins into the price. In my contract it is stipulated that IF I am asked to go on after that time, they must pay a per minute wait-time addition to the contract.
I've done large, elaborate weddings that required me to be there for the zeffa, then head back stage to change for the reception set that was an hour later, then return later in the evening for a debke or folkloric set...and the paid for THE ENTIRE NIGHT. I also had a GREAT dressing room with private facilities...so make sure that you'll have a place to hang backstage, meals provided...everything...don't go cheap and DO NOT work without a contract stipulating EACH thing that you've mentioned!

anonymouss

I would agree that such a long time to be at one event would require two dancers--and that in fact, would be the case. Two dancers. And food would be provided. But the kicker is that the payment offered is $100. For the whole night. I've been out of the dancer world a little while and was excited to get back into it, but I never heard of such a thing. For New Year's Eve no less.

Eshta

What Gia said.

If you accept this gig you will be doing more harm than good.

There are always restaurant owners who think belly dance is cheap, and that's how they'll treat you. Sadly there are enough pretty young mugs with not enough training and a cheap import costume who are stupid enough to take it. Don't lower yourself into that category.

Greek Bonfire

$100 for each dancer...but that just is ridiculous. or is the economy THAT bad?!

That is unspeakably degrading. Maybe you could pay them to dance? Yep, it's that bad. Do what everybody suggested - you may get more dancing on a corner for tips! <JK, maybe>

Elextrica

Hi Anonymouss,
I was offered $120 to dance 2 X 25 min shows spread out over 3 hours on New years (at a local greek restaurant). When I told the owner what my New years rates would be, he seemed offended. I regret to admit that I actually did consider doing it anyway since I haven't had any dance gigs for quite some time and I was quite desperate for money.
I didnt consider it for long - I decided I would be doing more harm to myself and the profession of bellydance in general if I caved in and agreed to dance for peanuts.
So I know how you feel - it is frustrating when you really want to dance and the opportunities are limited to begin with.
I think alot of restaurant owners really dont know what the going rates for bellydancers are and others are just really cheap.
anyhow, in case you are still undecided....dont do it! (Or at least up your price substantially!)

Elextrica

Belly Love

That's insane and an insult. As a business owner, that guy should know better and he probably does- he's just being cheap.

Greek Bonfire

$100 for each dancer...but that just is ridiculous. or is the economy THAT bad?!

IT IS TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE! How much are they paying the band? And the bartenders? And the cooks? I'm sure more, and like Gia said, they better be prepared to pay for your time. If you do 20 minutes twice, I could maybe see this price but if you figure 20 minutes into four hours, then it should be approximately $1,200!

LadyLoba

I know how the people who were going to take such low paying jobs feel. I don't belly dance professionally, but I have done some extremely low paying jobs as a writer. Once, I taught an adult group writing workshop and only asked each person to pay $50 for a set of 10 1 hour lessons. I was going to charg $25, but the Director of the college where I held them said that was too low for the school! I have also given private creative writing workshops/reading tutoring to a child for $10 per 1 hour lesson...and a former Teacher of mine informed me that I asked for a fee that was WAY too low for ANY form of tutoring.

Of course the person is not paying back everything you ever put into a field...but when someone pays for a performance/session/lesson they're not just paying you for the time you are physically in their sight...they are paying for your skill, education and training, and the additional money and time you've devoted to your field.