Dancers You Don't Like

shiradotnet

But I have seen dancers I thought of they can be replaced or need some extra lessons. However not sure if that needs complaining. Sounds liek such a horrible thing to do.

I probably wouldn't complain if the dancer just looked like she needed more skill. I wouldn't like it, but I probably wouldn't complain. Instead, if I went back to the restaurant on a different night and saw a much better dancer, I might consider contacting the restaurant owner to say how much I liked the GOOD dancer.

But I WOULD consider complaining if the dancer was being openly sleazy - stuff like Pirika described of encouraging tippers to touch her breasts.

Amulya

I probably wouldn't complain if the dancer just looked like she needed more skill. I wouldn't like it, but I probably wouldn't complain. Instead, if I went back to the restaurant on a different night and saw a much better dancer, I might consider contacting the restaurant owner to say how much I liked the GOOD dancer.

But I WOULD consider complaining if the dancer was being openly sleazy - stuff like Pirika described of encouraging tippers to touch her breasts.

Definitely a good idea :) only this place had just the one dancer. The food wasn't great so I wouldn't come back anyway. Have seen good dancers around at belly dance events here, so that's where I will go to see dancing :)

That is a good idea.

Ahava_Melantha

one thing i hate is when dancers, who are very afrocentric, claim they are the ORIGIN of belly dancing.

i saw clip of this very woman who not a plus sized woman, she was obese, and she was basically gyrating and called it belly dancing. and claimed that "the black women" were the original belly dancers. and that basically white women were taking "their dance".

yeah, it totally pisses me off to no end.

belly dancing and afrocentrism don't mix in my opinion.

Tarik Sultan

one thing i hate is when dancers, who are very afrocentric, claim they are the ORIGIN of belly dancing.

i saw clip of this very woman who not a plus sized woman, she was obese, and she was basically gyrating and called it belly dancing. and claimed that "the black women" were the original belly dancers. and that basically white women were taking "their dance".

yeah, it totally pisses me off to no end.

belly dancing and afrocentrism don't mix in my opinion.

Well, a distinction has to be made between certain truths and exaggerations based on militant ideologies which take aspects of truth and distort them.

Oriental dance did originate in Egypt, Egypt is an African nation. And while the current language is Arabic and there has been Arabic influences on various aspects of the culture, the Egyptian style of dance is native to the country / continent and is closest related to other dance styles from neighboring African countries. However, to say the dance belongs to one particular race.... that's a stretch. For one thing, although the dance originated in Africa it did spread to neighboring regions outside of Africa such as the Levant, then Turkey and finally Greece and parts of the Balkins. In all of these regions it evolved on its own terms, variations, identities and so it was not "stolen" but adopted through a process of cultural diffusion. Therefore, the dance and variations of it are very much a part of the cultural heritage of those people as well, in much the same way that hot dogs, having origins in German sausages, are all American popular cuisine.

Having said that though, it is a fact that the dance, as practiced in the media has and still is to a large degree tarnished by the stain of colorism or shadism. In Egypt skin tones range from very black to very white, yet only the fairest skinned women are chosen for the best dance jobs, media apperances etc. So while the dance wasn't "stolen" persay, dark skinned women have and are excluded in Egypt. Why that is is a whole different topic in itself though.

Ahava_Melantha

and then there are SOME people who don't believe that bd started in egypt. so theres also that to consider.

this far later, who really knows how it happened.

Shanazel

There are some people who think belly dance is an ancient temple dance started in India by a race of aliens who came from Alpha Centauri and stayed because they liked the cuisine. I have it on good authority that alien skin is a pale blue and when I want to be truly authentic, I stain myself with wode like a Pict, a race that descends from a related group of aliens who preferred haggis to curry.

Ahava_Melantha

yes it is quite funny. I don't care about the origins. because i see similare traditional dancing all over the middle countries - india, greece, turkey, the levant, but I have to admit, the dancing in the gulf - hmm i don't think its bd at all. just hmo, but I just love the dance.

don't care where its from. we can all be sisters in dance regardless of race. you don't have to point out being "the original belly dancer" to come and join the fun. just join in.

Rania

Everyone is entitled to an opinion on a dancer no matter if its good or bad. As long as its done with tact, i see no problem in a person handing a bit of criticism out.

However people should abstain from using word such as shes a whore, a joke, stupid, ugly etc.

I see no problem with comments that state she needs to work on the shimmy, I dont care for the style of costumes shes chooses etc.

Last edited:

xfiendfyre

The only thing I really hate to see in bellydancers is when you can tell that they are trying too hard to be sexy. That is the one thing that I just can't stand.

Other things I can forgive... I mean obviously people get into bellydancing because they think it's amazing and beautiful, but not everyone is a natural performer. I believe that people are just doing their best, so I don't judge them too harshly.
When it comes to professional dancers, however, I like a dancer that can hold my attention. One that moves with the music so well that it almost seems as if the music is being created by his/her body. Dancers that I just can't take my eyes off of. There have been a lot of professional bellydancers who have utterly failed me in this, and there are some that it really depends on a performance-by-performance basis for me.

Last edited:

LadyLoba

I agree with Rania. There is a HUGE difference between saying "Dancer x needs to work on this or that" or "I'm just not a big fan of that famous Dancer, y." and slamming somebody just to be slamming somebody or being cruel.

The more I study belly dance...the more I find dancers I love...and dancers I don't like..and when I find a dancer I just don't care for...I turn off the video and go watch something else I like better....though if it's a dancer I just don't find enjoyable...but I can tell she has great skill in some area...I sometimes watch a little bit just to learn more.