Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by charlieL View Post
    Dancers very fat or very thin.
    Although you are wording it pretty harsh I can kind of see where you are coming from...However, MOST of this can be solved by wearing a costume that FITS and COMPLIMENTS your shape. It is very unconstructive to comment on a dancer's shape.
    or those whose facial expression is like somebody owes a lot of money and havent paid.
    I cannot for the life of me picture this expression?? How does one look like this?

Sure there are dancers I don't like. I think that is a given. There are very accomplished and famous dancers that I can't stand to watch at all. I can't say anything general about it as I think it is kind of random what I like and don't like.
    We can't love everyone and I just accept it and go look at the ones I love.

Myself, I am sure I have been "guilty" of almost every single thing complained over in this thread (apart form the "too thin" comment) once or twice, but it is just part of the learning I guess.
    Ok, I have never pierced wings to my back Not planning to either...
    immer glimmer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gisela;

Sure there are dancers I don't like. I think that is a given. There are very accomplished and famous dancers that I can't stand to watch at all. I can't say anything general about it as I think it is kind of random what I like and don't like.
    We can't love everyone and I just accept it and go look at the ones I love.
    Agreed! If I watch a dancer on utube I don't like I just move on. Maybe this thread should have been titled dancers we love or what qualities do you look for in a professinal dancer
    Last edited by karena; 11-14-2010 at 05:08 PM. Reason: fix quote

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Cheart View Post
    Check, only likes creatures that don't physically exist .

It is physically impossible to smile big enough to show every single one of your teeth. Unless you are able to unhinge your jawbones like an anaconda but if one could then there have to be some alien mutation going on there. So again this brings us back to people that don't physically exist.

Anyway I'm safe on that because I don't have 32 teeth, had 4 removed as a child
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seriously? they pierced a set of isis wings?
    You dont have to take it literally Cheart. My point is that i dont like dacers that go to an extreme.

Post Thanks / Like

You dont have to take it literally Cheart. My point is that i dont like dacers that go to an extreme.
    nope and I didn't. That is why my sense of humor showed up there with the snake and alien mutation joke.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. Beginning dancer. Knows nothing.
    2. Intermediate dancer. Knows everything. Too good to dance with beginners.
    3. Hotshot dancer. Too good to dance with anyone.
    4. Advanced dancer. Dances everything. Especially with beginners
    ~ Attributed to Dick Crum, a folk dance teacher ~

Post Thanks / Like

Sad

Quote Originally Posted by seona View Post
    Agreed! If I watch a dancer on utube I don't like I just move on. Maybe this thread should have been titled dancers we love or what qualities do you look for in a professinal dancer
    Then i wonder what is the point of the comments option in youtube? Why some members felt offended?, i havent metion names. What does my country have to do with the thread Gisela? I havent insult or offended anybody. Eveytime i post a comment or a reply i feel if i am the bad guy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cheart View Post

Seriously? they pierced a set of isis wings?
    the dancer is Sashi, and it was a set of fixed-position metal wings that were inserted into her back via temporary piercings. I've seen two clips of this performance. The first one did not show much at all; the second was long enough to give a sense of Sashi's dance...which was very restrained (probably due to practical considerations as well as stylistic ones).

I did not think those clips of her dance looked much like belly dancing, but other members of this forum who saw the show live have said it was actually a very good performance. And I've since become a fan of Sashi's other work that I've seen on video.

EDIT: It seems that the full-length performance has since been uploaded to YouTube. And hey, it DOES look like bellydance to me (although I personally think she dances better without the distraction of the wings). YouTube - Sashi of Ascend Tribal - Pierced Wings Performance - Tribal Fest 2006
    Last edited by da Sage; 11-15-2010 at 06:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Some dancers do get on my nerves for bad technique, pulling faces, being too predictable, or just being boring. That's why I say you have to please yourself in this dance...you can't be guaranteed to please everyone in the audience!

Post Thanks / Like

Then i wonder what is the point of the comments option in youtube? Why some members felt offended?, i havent metion names. What does my country have to do with the thread Gisela? I havent insult or offended anybody. Eveytime i post a comment or a reply i feel if i am the bad guy.
    When I first saw the title of this thread, I was rather concerned that it might possibly go the wrong way. Perhaps if the title were different, as someone already pointed out, we could have avoided something like this from happening.

Everyone has the right to their opinion, everyone has their likes and dislikes, and we're not all going to agree. However, it's important to word our opinions carefully, especially when discussion is made on an online message forum where it's hard to gauge the meaning of what someone is saying. By that, I mean that we cannot see one another's facial expressions, hear vocal inflections, etc., so it's easy to misconstrue what someone else says online. Even though I'm sure you meant no harm, remarking about people's physical appearance can possibly cause hard feelings.

Post Thanks / Like

I mainly dislike dancers as I dislike 'regular'people; disrespect me and I don`t like you! Also I don`t like mean competition, you should want others to succeed!

Post Thanks / Like

Then i wonder what is the point of the comments option in youtube? Why some members felt offended?, i havent metion names.
    Some people love to leave nasty (or REALLY nasty) comments on youtube. Some people don't like to do that. And a comment-option is also there to leave positive feedback. Do you write under the videos: "too fat" "Too thin" etc etc?
    After I wrote my other post I thought that I left out the bit about a good discussion. I think there is validity to discussing which dancers you don't like and why, as it makes us more sharp and aware of what we do like and how to get it. But... it can easily go over the line where it just becomes bad-mouthing.
    What does my country have to do with the thread Gisela?
    I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say, or maybe I said it wrong. Are you referring to "I see where you are coming from"? I didn't mean as in "which country you come from". I meant it as in "the reasons you have this opinion".
    I havent insult or offended anybody. Eveytime i post a comment or a reply i feel if i am the bad guy.
    Sorry you feel this way. I am sure that several of us (I know I did) felt a bit hit or offended by your straight out statement about too fat or too thin. I know I would be completely mortified if someone came up to me after a show and said "you shouldn't be dancing, I didn't like to see you on stage, as you are too fat".
    I still am convinced that much can be solved with a flattering costume.
    Last edited by gisela; 11-15-2010 at 09:35 AM.
    immer glimmer

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast