Dancers You Don't Like

Rania

I'm talking more about dancers who quite obviously really didn't care about their appearance. In one thread I talked about a dancer who came to an event and had dirty feet, dirty hair and it looked overall like she didn't even bother to barely bathe. I'm not talking about extenuating circumstances or events beyond your control. And I also said it would be nice to glam it up a little, not go over the top. I'm sorry if it came off that way but yes, I was referring more to "I can't be bothered" than "Murphy's Law."

Ewwww, most belly dancers go far and out to look their best and be clean. Ew lol how gross!

Eshta

It sounds like this does happen this intensely in Belly Dance as in other art forms...that some dancers you do become a big fan of...others....you really don't enjoy for whatever reason.

I can't name any I don't like....but on the flip side...I have absolutely loved watching clips of Sadie and Amar Gamal and Bozenka.

I think it definitely does happen, perhaps arguably more so in belly dance than in other dance forms (although please pull me up on this if I am wrong). I would at least expect that to be the case because belly dance is so very expressive and so very varied. It's not expected to be uniform like many other dance forms are.

I've found personally that my tastes change with time. Initially I wasn't such a fan of Randa. I could definitely appreciate the artistry and the power behind her performance, but I preferred the softer, floatier dancers like Nour for example. But that then changed and now I'm hypnotised by her. I've only seen Camelia the one time and I disliked her performance. Too much pulling her skirt high up over her waist to show off her lycra shorts underneath. But I would watch her again as she was such a whirlwind on stage, she really did dance like a woman totally possessed, and I think one performance isn't enough to really get a full opinion. I reckon she's one I'd also end up spellbound by!

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Yes...the thread did kind of go off in a different direction. I was asking more if there were "fans" and "not a fan of" in the belly dance world as strongly as in other art forms.

I think maybe we might be a little more rabid than fans of other art forms.

For instance, I know I don't care much for Henry Miller, so I'm not going to take the time to read one of his novels just so I can talk to my friends about how much I don't like him. I'm not going to go out of my way to drive to a museum of modern art just to see a Pollack and say I don't like it.

But it takes what, 3 minutes? to watch a video clip. That's no effort whatsoever on my part. I'll watch a half hour of video clips just to justify to myself why I don't like that style or that performer. ;)

Plus we each have drawn a line around a certain category of dance that really and truly represents what "bellydance" is to us. (Maybe you haven't yet, LadyLoba, but most likely you will eventually.) And sometimes because we view what lies outside that line to be "threatening" to our beloved dance form, we can get a little obsessive about what is or isn't representative, or authentic, or artistic.

I don't really dislike any of the major professional performers out there, although I might not go out of my way to see some of them. There is one performer, however, that I do not like at all. But a thousand that I DO like, so I'm focusing on the wonderful ones :)

Last edited:

Eshta

I don't really dislike any of the major professional performers out there, although I might not go out of my way to see some of them. There is one person, however, who used to be wildly popular (not so much anymore, though) that I think is just ridiculous. I literally cannot watch her performances without rolling my eyes and getting frustrated at how ridiculous she is. But that's one in a thousand, and I think she's equally ridiculous as a person, so maybe that's my own issue.

Ooh Aziyade, how much would it take to get you to name names?!?!?!?! Or at least nationality...! Give us a clue!

Eshta

Sorry Aziyade, didn't mean to push!

I don't think it came across as rude.

In fact you reminded me that there are quite a few dancers in the UK that provoke the same reaction in me: dancers setting themselves up as the "Big I Am", claiming to be the UK's finest bla bla bla, getting invited to perform at big events, and it feels like the emperor's new clothes to me.

bashta

Hm...

Dancers I love:
  • Rachel Brice
  • Aziza
  • Zoe Jakes
  • ...pretty much everybody who's ever been in the Indigo...
  • Asharah
  • Sonia (Of the BD Superstars)
  • Moria Chappell
  • Ela Rogers

Dancers I honestly don't "get":
  • Suhaila Salimpour

What? OH MY GOD.

I know, right? But seriously. She has great technique and I am saving up for her certification courses and I realize exactly how important she is to my style (tribal fusion) and I must admit that glute contraction invokes a spike of jealousy in the pit of my stomach... That said, I just cannot appreciate the aesthetic behind her performances.

And I named her, because I know that there is not a chance she will lose any business or support because of it. Not even my own support.

P.S. After five minutes of debating myself, I decided to click "Submit." So, you know. Give me a head start before the lynch mob starts after me?

Amanda (was Aziyade)

What? OH MY GOD.

LOL -- I actually was a pretty big fan of her work in the 90s, but I wasn't overly crazy about the more recent stuff. I still did her certification, and I still study with her because I like what the training does for me. But I don't hear the music the way she does, so it's hard for me to appreciate her choreographies.

You know, Artemis Mourat does not dance my style (even though I LOVE watching her dance her style!) but I certainly love what I have learned from her, about music and performing, and dance in general. I don't think you necessarily have to dance like an instructor to get a lot out of their instruction.

:)

LadyLoba

Naming or not is fine...I asked it in a "no names" way because I thought that would be kinder...

I did name a writer I don't care for....but Brett Easton Ellis has an MFA (from Bennington, one of the top programs in the country), and at least 5 published novels...so I doubt he'd be too broken up to hear that a woman with just an MA in Literature and Writing who has only had articles and short blurbs published in a bunch of small town newspapers and newsletters doesn't enjoy his work :) I just avoid buying copies of his novels...he'd probably crack up laughing if he read mine

But wow...it sounds like there is a LOT of fan loyalty, and specific dancers we go to...dislike...in belly dance.

Aziyade is right...I haven't made it so far as to formulate my own boundaries yet. It's because I honestly don't know enough about the dance form yet. I watch all the clips on here that I can...and I can see it now when you guys note that some things are not belly dance.....and I can kind of tell Egyptian, Turkish, Tribal and American Oriental/Cabaret apart......but I'm just beginning to pick up on that.

But I did notice that there are some professional dancers I watch...and I don't even like it. It doesn't hold my interest or I'm just not impressed. Others I could watch the same clip 500 times.

I'm not sure why...but I know that happens in the arts a lot. I once knew a guy who was an amateur (in that he'd never been paid and did it as a hobby) but very skilled actor...and he just didn't like Kevin Kline. He couldn't pinpoint why, he just did not enjoy Kevin Kline's performances.

bashta

LOL -- I actually was a pretty big fan of her work in the 90s, but I wasn't overly crazy about the more recent stuff. I still did her certification, and I still study with her because I like what the training does for me. But I don't hear the music the way she does, so it's hard for me to appreciate her choreographies.

You know, Artemis Mourat does not dance my style (even though I LOVE watching her dance her style!) but I certainly love what I have learned from her, about music and performing, and dance in general. I don't think you necessarily have to dance like an instructor to get a lot out of their instruction.

:)

Yes, exactly! You don't have to enjoy everything about a person's style, aesthetic, personality, or whathaveyou to learn something from them... And it certainly doesn't have to align with your own personal quirks. I love and appreciate what Suhaila, Caroleena, Jill Parker, et al. have done for belly dance (particularly tribal fusion). We can learn a ton from watching them, studying them and their movements, seeing their musicality... all without dancing (or wanting to dance) exactly like they do.

Isn't that the best part of belly dance? Something about "a dance for anybody with any body" (Did I hear that on these forums?).

Greek Bonfire

Bashta, you are so right. Let me just add this. While I think it's great to learn from a particular instructor that you love, I can't stand seeing clones of that instructor. In other words, I don't want to see a dancer and know right away who she learned from. In fact, a great instructor will tell you not to become another clone of her. While it is mandatory to be exact when performing as a group, all dancers should still look like themselves and develop their own style.

Darshiva

I'm talking more about dancers who quite obviously really didn't care about their appearance. In one thread I talked about a dancer who came to an event and had dirty feet, dirty hair and it looked overall like she didn't even bother to barely bathe. I'm not talking about extenuating circumstances or events beyond your control. And I also said it would be nice to glam it up a little, not go over the top. I'm sorry if it came off that way but yes, I was referring more to "I can't be bothered" than "Murphy's Law."

Thanks for clarifying. After a long and exhausting weekend, I was a little touchy about the subject. Sorry if it came across as a personal attack, as it was certainly not intended that way.

Shakti

I do not have many pet peeves or dancers who I do not respect for their artistic offerings.

However One that comes to mind is along the lines of over use of Props, Like Vega mentioned a few post back. Mine is with the veil, when people do lots of tricks with little artisty incorporating BD into the routine. It is fine for beginners, intermediate but beyond that..come on!

Another is with fusion. This is an opinion and I am not saying it is right or wrong..just personal preference.bellydance/ Indian fusion numbers that contain Bhangra and Indian classical dance...its like why? The 2 dances/cultures have little in common other than they are both South Asian. I think fusion should be seamless and with purpose, not just a mash up of different moves. Nothing wrong with experimenting though, I would never criticise anyone for their efforts. I have seen some people do indian fusion really well, but some I felt embarrased for on an artistic level. But that is the nature of experimental art, somtimes your hot~ and sometimes your not!

Belly Love

I'm all for naming names- as long as it's a professional dancer and it's not intended to be hurtful or mean.

When someone is a professional, no matter what industry they are in, there should be critiquing (good or bad). That's part of how people learn and grow, whether they are the one making the comment, reading the comment or the one the comment is about.

Again, I'm okay with it as long as it's commenting on a pro, not an amateur or student.

Salome

Administrator
Dislikes:
Dancers whose expression is contrived, fake, insincere… leaves me cold.
If you got slick technique and that’s all... Boring!
Doing something different just for the sake of being different, not because there is a real artistic vision you are communicating.
Masturbatory performing - when it’s all about that dancer, her ego or whatever and there is an underwhelming level of respect for the dance, the culture, the process, the audience etc.

Darshiva

Dislikes:
Dancers whose expression is contrived, fake, insincere… leaves me cold.
If you got slick technique and that’s all... Boring!
Doing something different just for the sake of being different, not because there is a real artistic vision you are communicating.
Masturbatory performing - when it’s all about that dancer, her ego or whatever and there is an underwhelming level of respect for the dance, the culture, the process, the audience etc.

It's times like these that I wish there was a 'like' button on the forum. I guess I'll have to settle for a rep instead!