Page 1 of 20 123456711 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dancers You Don't Like

Just wondering...does anyone have any particular dancers they just flat out don't like? I'm not asking people to list names...that can get mean and start arguments...but are there dancers that you acknowledge have solid skills...just doyou n't like their style or don't care to watch them perform?

*you just don't

Post Thanks / Like

This is off topic, but I just wanted to say I love the quote in your signature line: "Never hurt a fiction writer. You will wind up the model for the villain in their next story."

Post Thanks / Like

There are dancers I don't like because I think they lack skill and technique (this doesn't apply to beginners, but to dancers who advertise themselves as professionals).

Then there are dancers whose skills and technique I can recognize, but whose styles do nothing for me, perhaps because I don't feel their musicality or the emotion seems fake, or I don't like the music they used, perhaps because I don't like the moves they do or the way they are doing them even though I can appreciate the fact that it took a lot of work for them to get to that point. Maybe I don't like the way they portray belly dance, or I don't think they seek enough information from authentic sources.

I'm generally very critical, so most performances have a few things I like and a few things I dislike, there are performances by my favorite dancers that I don't like and performances by some dancers I don't normally like that I really enjoy. I always take the person's level into account, and I like to see progress in people. Staleness is one of my least favorite things in a dancer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yame View Post
    There are dancers I don't like because I think they lack skill and technique (this doesn't apply to beginners, but to dancers who advertise themselves as professionals).

Then there are dancers whose skills and technique I can recognize, but whose styles do nothing for me, perhaps because I don't feel their musicality or the emotion seems fake, or I don't like the music they used, perhaps because I don't like the moves they do or the way they are doing them even though I can appreciate the fact that it took a lot of work for them to get to that point. Maybe I don't like the way they portray belly dance, or I don't think they seek enough information from authentic sources.

I'm generally very critical, so most performances have a few things I like and a few things I dislike, there are performances by my favorite dancers that I don't like and performances by some dancers I don't normally like that I really enjoy. I always take the person's level into account, and I like to see progress in people. Staleness is one of my least favorite things in a dancer.
    I agree so much with this! Couldn't have said it better myself, but wanted to add something:
    If I get a feeling the dancer doesn't like what she/he is doing on stage and projects it (being bored or unconfortable, nervousness is forgivable though) whatever level the dancer is, they might as well have stayed at home... ( Ok, this may have sounded a bit harsh and even pro dancers may have a bad day at work, but why be an artist if you don't like it? )
    Last edited by Daimona; 11-13-2010 at 03:33 PM.
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Dancers with no feel for the music.
    2. Dancers who jam lots of moves into a single performance.
    3. Dancers who spend their time being clever ("oooh look what I can do") rather than dancing.
    4. Dancers who always use non-Middle Eastern music.
    5. Dancers who are actually doing some other form of dance but call it "belly dance".

Post Thanks / Like

This may be harsh - but dancers who are too self-conscious to project (purely amateur level this one so I may be being harsh)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yame View Post

I think this sums it up nicely for me too. I have to rep you for it.

Post Thanks / Like

What Yame said, what Afrit said. (I've been throwing the rep about with gay abandon today! )

I let students off pretty much anything provided they are presented as such at student-appropriate events, even if it's dull or not great dancing or I hate the music... as long as I get the opportunities to have my revenge some time!

I really don't like craptastic fusion in the name of belly dance. Although at least sometimes you can have a good laugh at the What Were They Thinking ones. (ugh, flashback.... sometimes it's so WTF? it's not funny).

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like it when dancers accept tips in their actual costume. I know it's a common thing to do in bd, but it would make me personally uncomfortable to do it and I don't like seeing other's do it. Just letting any random stranger, even a man, touch your body to give you a dollar... I just don't like it. I don't hate it and think it's disgusting or look down on anyone for doing it, it's just a little too close for comfort. I think if I were to dance and accept tips, I would want a little pocket or something attached to my belt that people could put tips in.

Maybe one of you ladies who does this can explain why it doesn't make you, or the many others who do it, uncomfortable? Maybe I'm just too sensitive when it comes to personal space...?

Post Thanks / Like

Dancers very fat or very thin.

Dancers who shows the 32 teeth during the performance or those whose facial expression is like somebody owes a lot of money and havent paid.

Too technical but no artistry or too artistry but zero technique.

Page 1 of 20 123456711 ... LastLast