Dancers You Don't Like

gisela

Super Moderator
Dancers very fat or very thin.

Although you are wording it pretty harsh I can kind of see where you are coming from...However, MOST of this can be solved by wearing a costume that FITS and COMPLIMENTS your shape. It is very unconstructive to comment on a dancer's shape.
or those whose facial expression is like somebody owes a lot of money and havent paid.
I cannot for the life of me picture this expression?? How does one look like this?

Sure there are dancers I don't like. I think that is a given. There are very accomplished and famous dancers that I can't stand to watch at all. I can't say anything general about it as I think it is kind of random what I like and don't like.
We can't love everyone and I just accept it and go look at the ones I love.

Myself, I am sure I have been "guilty" of almost every single thing complained over in this thread (apart form the "too thin" comment) once or twice, but it is just part of the learning I guess.
Ok, I have never pierced wings to my back :lol: Not planning to either...

seona

gisela; said:
Sure there are dancers I don't like. I think that is a given. There are very accomplished and famous dancers that I can't stand to watch at all. I can't say anything general about it as I think it is kind of random what I like and don't like.
We can't love everyone and I just accept it and go look at the ones I love.

Agreed! If I watch a dancer on utube I don't like I just move on. Maybe this thread should have been titled dancers we love or what qualities do you look for in a professinal dancer :)

Last edited by a moderator:

charlieL

Check, only likes creatures that don't physically exist :lol:.

It is physically impossible to smile big enough to show every single one of your teeth. Unless you are able to unhinge your jawbones like an anaconda but if one could then there have to be some alien mutation going on there. So again this brings us back to people that don't physically exist.

Anyway I'm safe on that because I don't have 32 teeth, had 4 removed as a child :lol:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seriously? they pierced a set of isis wings?

You dont have to take it literally Cheart. My point is that i dont like dacers that go to an extreme.

charlieL

Agreed! If I watch a dancer on utube I don't like I just move on. Maybe this thread should have been titled dancers we love or what qualities do you look for in a professinal dancer :)

Then i wonder what is the point of the comments option in youtube? Why some members felt offended?, i havent metion names. What does my country have to do with the thread Gisela? I havent insult or offended anybody. Eveytime i post a comment or a reply i feel if i am the bad guy.

da Sage

Seriously? they pierced a set of isis wings?

the dancer is Sashi, and it was a set of fixed-position metal wings that were inserted into her back via temporary piercings. I've seen two clips of this performance. The first one did not show much at all; the second was long enough to give a sense of Sashi's dance...which was very restrained (probably due to practical considerations as well as stylistic ones).

I did not think those clips of her dance looked much like belly dancing, but other members of this forum who saw the show live have said it was actually a very good performance. And I've since become a fan of Sashi's other work that I've seen on video.

EDIT: It seems that the full-length performance has since been uploaded to YouTube. And hey, it DOES look like bellydance to me (although I personally think she dances better without the distraction of the wings). YouTube - Sashi of Ascend Tribal - Pierced Wings Performance - Tribal Fest 2006

Last edited:

da Sage

Some dancers do get on my nerves for bad technique, pulling faces, being too predictable, or just being boring. That's why I say you have to please yourself in this dance...you can't be guaranteed to please everyone in the audience!

Farasha Hanem

Then i wonder what is the point of the comments option in youtube? Why some members felt offended?, i havent metion names. What does my country have to do with the thread Gisela? I havent insult or offended anybody. Eveytime i post a comment or a reply i feel if i am the bad guy.

When I first saw the title of this thread, I was rather concerned that it might possibly go the wrong way. Perhaps if the title were different, as someone already pointed out, we could have avoided something like this from happening.

Everyone has the right to their opinion, everyone has their likes and dislikes, and we're not all going to agree. However, it's important to word our opinions carefully, especially when discussion is made on an online message forum where it's hard to gauge the meaning of what someone is saying. By that, I mean that we cannot see one another's facial expressions, hear vocal inflections, etc., so it's easy to misconstrue what someone else says online. Even though I'm sure you meant no harm, remarking about people's physical appearance can possibly cause hard feelings.

Nejmeh

I mainly dislike dancers as I dislike 'regular'people; disrespect me and I don`t like you! Also I don`t like mean competition, you should want others to succeed!

gisela

Super Moderator
Then i wonder what is the point of the comments option in youtube? Why some members felt offended?, i havent metion names.
Some people love to leave nasty (or REALLY nasty) comments on youtube. Some people don't like to do that. And a comment-option is also there to leave positive feedback. Do you write under the videos: "too fat" "Too thin" etc etc?
After I wrote my other post I thought that I left out the bit about a good discussion. I think there is validity to discussing which dancers you don't like and why, as it makes us more sharp and aware of what we do like and how to get it. But... it can easily go over the line where it just becomes bad-mouthing.
What does my country have to do with the thread Gisela?
I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say, or maybe I said it wrong. Are you referring to "I see where you are coming from"? I didn't mean as in "which country you come from". I meant it as in "the reasons you have this opinion".
I havent insult or offended anybody. Eveytime i post a comment or a reply i feel if i am the bad guy.

Sorry you feel this way. I am sure that several of us (I know I did) felt a bit hit or offended by your straight out statement about too fat or too thin. I know I would be completely mortified if someone came up to me after a show and said "you shouldn't be dancing, I didn't like to see you on stage, as you are too fat".
I still am convinced that much can be solved with a flattering costume.

Last edited:

charlieL

The reply option in youtube are for opinions, be it good or bad. I am not a nasty person as you think but if something dont like me i just simply say it without crossing the line.
And i say it again, i didnt mention names.

Rania

What I dislike the most is a dancer who has a $700-$2,000 costume, a pretty face, nice body, but she just literly walks around the stage pushing her hips from left to right looking sexy. Almost as if if a beauty pageant, not a BD show.

haha Im sure many of you have seeen that before.

don't get me wrong I admire a dancer with allot of beauty and a really expensive costume.but she she also has to know how to actuelly belly dance!

gisela

Super Moderator
The reply option in youtube are for opinions, be it good or bad. I am not a nasty person as you think but if something dont like me i just simply say it without crossing the line.
And i say it again, i didnt mention names.
I don't think you are a nasty person. Perhaps we are not understanding each other completely. And as I said I agree that there is validity in discussion. I just don't see the point of leaving comments of very negative sort on youtube. I don't think it is going to change anything for the better.

Greek Bonfire

My tastes have changed over the years and have even broadened. But I can't stand watching a dancer whose costume doesn't fit or didn't take the time to clean up and even glam up a little. There is simply no excuse to represent the dance like this.

seona

Hi Charlie

My comments about utube were in no way directed at you, it was in response to Gisela sorry for the confusion:D

I was agreeing that I just don't waste my time watching a dancer on utube if shes really bad etc - just focus on the good stuff
And the (utube) comments - I dont even bother reading it can be such a hate-fest, I'd rather focus on the positive. I find the internet mind boggling sometimes lol

Last edited:

Darshiva

There is an excuse for not 'glamming up', which for me last Saturday was "Oh dear, I left my lipstick at home & need to use a combination of lip balm & blush as a substitute" combined with "Why is someone burning incense? Both the organiser & I are allergic and now I can't wear eye makeup because it will run!"

My toe nail polish was chipped from a day of workshops and there was no time to repaint because I was leading a discussion forum before my performance. I still glammed up to the extent I was able to, but my appearance didn't detract from my performance.

There are always reasons behind the things you don't like about someone's performance or appearance. Sometimes it's "I can't be bothered", more often though it's "I wish that murphy's law didn't exist!"

Greek Bonfire

I don't mind receiving a negative comment if it's given as constructive criticism. Those comments I won't delete. But when they are just plain rude, then I delete those as I don't see what difference it would make to leave them on there. One time, I got a comment where someone called me a very nasty word in Greek. Now THAT comment was definitely deleted.

Amulya

My tastes have changed over the years and have even broadened. But I can't stand watching a dancer whose costume doesn't fit or didn't take the time to clean up and even glam up a little. There is simply no excuse to represent the dance like this.

Costuming is so important as well as make-up. Not always necessary to put tons of make-up (in the past I used to be accused by other dancers of not putting enough, and I was wearing layer upon layer in my opinion LOL), but a pet peeve of mine is when it's done badly, quickly drawn eye-liner, clotted mascara, things like that. I have met many dancers who didn't know how to apply their make-up. But that is easy to learn :)

Greek Bonfire

There is an excuse for not 'glamming up', which for me last Saturday was "Oh dear, I left my lipstick at home & need to use a combination of lip balm & blush as a substitute" combined with "Why is someone burning incense? Both the organiser & I are allergic and now I can't wear eye makeup because it will run!"

My toe nail polish was chipped from a day of workshops and there was no time to repaint because I was leading a discussion forum before my performance. I still glammed up to the extent I was able to, but my appearance didn't detract from my performance.

There are always reasons behind the things you don't like about someone's performance or appearance. Sometimes it's "I can't be bothered", more often though it's "I wish that murphy's law didn't exist!"

I'm talking more about dancers who quite obviously really didn't care about their appearance. In one thread I talked about a dancer who came to an event and had dirty feet, dirty hair and it looked overall like she didn't even bother to barely bathe. I'm not talking about extenuating circumstances or events beyond your control. And I also said it would be nice to glam it up a little, not go over the top. I'm sorry if it came off that way but yes, I was referring more to "I can't be bothered" than "Murphy's Law."

LadyLoba

Yes...the thread did kind of go off in a different direction. I was asking more if there were "fans" and "not a fan of" in the belly dance world as strongly as in other art forms....just a general...are there some very good, professional dancers that you just don't care for? (without names to avoid meanness or fights).

Just as an example with writing...I am a huge fan of John Grisham, Tom Perrotta and Wally Lamb. I am not a fan of Bret Easton Ellis.

But there are just as many people who know just as much about writing and more about writing than I do, who have opposite opinions...ie...love Bret Easton Ellis.

And that doesn't make them ignorant of writing or a person with bad taste....just a "here are some I love" and "here are some I don't enjoy" thing.

It sounds like this does happen this intensely in Belly Dance as in other art forms...that some dancers you do become a big fan of...others....you really don't enjoy for whatever reason.

I can't name any I don't like....but on the flip side...I have absolutely loved watching clips of Sadie and Amar Gamal and Bozenka.