Best Folkloric DVDs?

Yame

What are your favorite instructional DVDs on Middle Eastern folkloric dances?
What are your favorite folkloric performance DVDs?

Please elaborate on why and provide information on how to purchase them.

I'm specifically looking for a decent Khaliji DVD right now, but I'd like to have a general folkloric DVD list for the future.

teela

There is a really nice DVD on Khalijii put out by a lady in Australia. I did a quick search and it is put out by Amera called learn to dance Khaleegy which shows the individual steps. Its more of an encyclopedia but its full of steps. Other than that, I don't have many folkloric DVD's other than Hadia's one with cane work.

Yame

There is a really nice DVD on Khalijii put out by a lady in Australia. I did a quick search and it is put out by Amera called learn to dance Khaleegy which shows the individual steps. Its more of an encyclopedia but its full of steps. Other than that, I don't have many folkloric DVD's other than Hadia's one with cane work.

Oh, that seems wonderful! I just found this topic from last year, with a review of this Khaliji DVD you mentioned. It also has a link to where it can be purchased.

http://www.bellydanceforums.net/ins...vd-review-learn-dance-khaleegy-amera-eid.html

Tell me more about Hadia's DVD.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Hadia has a volume on Tunisian dance as well (Raqs Sharqi volume 6).
So does Aisha Ali. I like both of them, but I like Tunisian dance.
Hadia's New Site
Belly Dance with Aisha Ali

Mohammed Shahin has several dvds out on folkloric styles, but I don't have them yet.
Mohamed Shahin Native Egyptian Master Instructor, Performer & Choreographer

I'm actually rocking Mohammed el Hosseney's "Simsimmiyya" insructional. It's so fun! I feel like Gene Kelley dancing with it - lol.
Itämainen tanssi :: Oriental Dance :: El Hosseny Dance

Alexandra has 2 dvds on Banat Mazin style Ghawazee. They're short, but it's consistent material with everyone else I've studied with:
Instructional Videos, Music And Clothing For Sale Now

I'm not as crazy about the Little Egypt folkloric workshop videos. I think they teach cute dances, but they usually look more like ethnic-dance "inspired" Oriental. I have all of them by Lubna and Magdy, and most of the Aida ones.
Video Links

Hossam and Serena have the Bedouin Tribal dvd. It's fun. I can't attest to the authenticity of it, but a lot of what's taught as Bedouin is consistent with what I've learned from other teachers.
Hossam Ramzy Presents - Bedouin Tribal Dance featuring Gypsies of the Nile - DVD*::*Dance DVDs*::*Ramzy Music International

(I think EVERYBODY has a cane dvd instructional!)

And there are Reda instructionals floating around. I've only ever seen Banat el Nile, which is demonstrations of the choreographies, but the dancers are all wearing those long dresses, so it's super hard to see what they're doing.

Last edited:

Jeanne

Wow, Aziyade, that's a great list of suggestions. I know some of these, but you've pointed out several that I'm interested in checking out.

(I think EVERYBODY has a cane dvd instructional!)

You're probably right about that. However, I'd like to put in a good word for Nourhan Sharif's assaya DVD, which is one of my favorite instructional DVDs ever.

Greek Bonfire

I agree with Aziyade on Mohamed Shahin. Having taken some of his workshops, he also said his DVDs were pretty much the same, and his instruction alone is fantastic.

adiemus

If you had to choose between Amera's kaleeghi and Mohammed Shahin's, I'd go for Amera's. Her DVD has much more detail, lots of different movements, and a lovely choreography, and she also discusses the place of kaleeghi in the cultural context. Mohammed Shahin's is a much simpler choreography, and doesn't have that context. Having said that, if you're after a short and relatively easy dance to learn then Mohammed's is really good, and has a nice pseudo-shaabi choreo on it as well. Worth getting both maybe!