Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I've seen and heard of a few of them that are all of the above and teaching at the same time.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. Beginning dancer. Knows nothing.
    2. Intermediate dancer. Knows everything. Too good to dance with beginners.
    3. Hotshot dancer. Too good to dance with anyone.
    4. Advanced dancer. Dances everything. Especially with beginners
    ~ Attributed to Dick Crum, a folk dance teacher ~

Post Thanks / Like

Default I think that the

despise this dance suffers from affects the quality of dancers and teachers. There are people who believe that once you have everything a woman has, this is enough to bellydance!

Which makes many people believe that you are professional dancer and teacher once you say so, or at least, you wear a costume with beads and sequins...

The curious thing is why so many women accept and reproduce this despise: they accept as bellydance any anti-aesthetic series of movement and they are happy to say "i have had bellydance lessons" irrespective of whether they have learned anything at all, or whether they have been trained in a way that permits them to express themselves, even in simple moves...

I think that this despise permits everyone to be lazy... i have heard female teachers and dancers despising male bellydancers for being men ("they cannot teach you, they cannot dance, they lack what a woman has") although those male dancers were excellent in their dance, very educated in middle eastern culture and with a vision about what they danced and taught to others...

I am afraid that a woman's art, attract emphasis on "woman" and not on "art".

Maybe this explains that i 've met not only 6-week wonders, but also 2-weekend-workshop wonders as well...

Post Thanks / Like

Considering the skills and experience of many dancers today, I often feel like I should give up teaching since I'm an over the hill wonder myself. In a larger market in a larger city, I wouldn't even try to compete. In my small community, I'm content with my niche, but wish there was someone nearby for me to take lessons from and to send my students to when they outgrow me.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shanazel, i understand your worries

but the discussion is not about teachers who worry whether they can offer to their students the best available in bellydance, but we discuss about dancers and teachers who do not worry at all!

You are obviously a very good teacher, if you place yourself with modesty at... the student's level when compared to great dancers we all watch on videos or at great events.

You may be sure that the 6-weeks-wonders do not spend time getting updates about oriental dance or to watch videos from abroad or communities far from their own. And those same "wonders" do get mad if you ever dare, as a student, to ask: "how can i do this move, i have seen it on youtube video XYZ" - because they will never accept that they need to study the move and teach it at the next lesson...

those are the same teachers who will never accept that their students have outgrew them or that they might need to see another style than the one they teach (quite opposite to you then!) and they keep information about other teachers in their area and about workshops secret, to hide their own incompetence...

i have had the great chance to study oriental dance with great teachers and guess what? the better and more experienced the teacher,
    the more open-minded she/he is about other teachers around,
    the more receptive they are when they see that their students study with other teachers to learn more styles than the ones they teach,
    the more ready they are (this is amazing!) to learn from their students
    and the more ways they give you to study things they might have never seen anywhere, but once a student asks, they provide all kinesiological means to get the student advanced at points the good teacher had never thought on its own...
    and they always say: i am still learning!

6-weeks-wonders usually cannot stand to study with such teachers...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walladah View Post
    but the discussion is not about teachers who worry whether they can offer to their students the best available in bellydance, but we discuss about dancers and teachers who do not worry at all!

You are obviously a very good teacher, if you place yourself with modesty at... the student's level when compared to great dancers we all watch on videos or at great events.

You may be sure that the 6-weeks-wonders do not spend time getting updates about oriental dance or to watch videos from abroad or communities far from their own. And those same "wonders" do get mad if you ever dare, as a student, to ask: "how can i do this move, i have seen it on youtube video XYZ" - because they will never accept that they need to study the move and teach it at the next lesson...

those are the same teachers who will never accept that their students have outgrew them or that they might need to see another style than the one they teach (quite opposite to you then!) and they keep information about other teachers in their area and about workshops secret, to hide their own incompetence...

i have had the great chance to study oriental dance with great teachers and guess what? the better and more experienced the teacher,
    the more open-minded she/he is about other teachers around,
    the more receptive they are when they see that their students study with other teachers to learn more styles than the ones they teach,
    the more ready they are (this is amazing!) to learn from their students
    and the more ways they give you to study things they might have never seen anywhere, but once a student asks, they provide all kinesiological means to get the student advanced at points the good teacher had never thought on its own...
    and they always say: i am still learning!

6-weeks-wonders usually cannot stand to study with such teachers...
    This says it all.

Post Thanks / Like

Oops, off topic again. Thanks for the vote of confidence anyway.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bellydance Oz View Post
    I moved on to another school - still no mention of the abdominal muscles. I mentioned this to a teacher once - her response was that "we don't teach the use of the abdominal muscles until the Advanced class". I began to notice that some professional bellydancers let their stomachs hang out unattractively while dancing, and began to believe that belly dance technique was seriously flawed!
    I had a teacher like that too once, she said you should always leave the belly relaxed, not attractive indeed!

I also have heard many complaints about a dancing school (not naming where, because it will be obvious who they are) where they never explain HOW to do movements. I had some students who came from that school. The idea behind this is to keep students longer at the school.

I have a different method, I believe in getting results with students asap, so they feel good about themselves even if they are simple movements, but they can at least do a bit of dancing. It's amazing how fast people can learn to shimmy, but in the classes I went to as a student that took ages.

Post Thanks / Like

I could almost quote Amulya word for word, although with the exception of the instruction to relax the belly.

Six week wonders give me the jeebies, especially if they don't learn how to be better dancers/teachers as time goes on. I feel that is what disrespects students & gives our dance a bad public rep (along with the 'sexydance' thing).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Considering the skills and experience of many dancers today, I often feel like I should give up teaching since I'm an over the hill wonder myself. In a larger market in a larger city, I wouldn't even try to compete. In my small community, I'm content with my niche, but wish there was someone nearby for me to take lessons from and to send my students to when they outgrow me.
    I think there is always a place for good, dance-centered and student-centered teachers, whether they are over-the-hill or surprisingly young. Also, even "top" teachers are not necessarily the right fit for every student. Thanks for continuing to teach, and sharing the love of dance with those who seek it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Well, that's a load of bunk! The ones who have been dancing the longest have the most to share! I think it's those ridiculous western beliefs that the older must be replaced by the newer, but what experience do they have? Sure, they know some of the newer stuff, but there are things only someone with experience and longevity could know. In fact, especially in this dance, the older and more experienced a dancer is, the richer her dancing is. I'd love to take classes with "the old school teachers" if I could find one.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast