Who are your favorite male dancers?

XelaHayam

Reading a lot in this section and I'm totally excited because I have a couple of guys joining the beginners class i teach next semester. I've seen men belly dance, but I've never taught any, so it's been hard trying to do my research & see how to encourage them and make certain moves more masculine. I'd rather have them come out as skilled dancers, not just as noveltie acts... you know?

So i was wondering who your favorite male dancers are? Youtube links would be great :)

My favorite has to be Jim Boz! I took a zills work show with him and got to meet and talk with him & he is just so funny and nice :) Also a very talented dancer and a WONDERFUL teacher :) He's well traveled and knows A LOT about the culture :)

Greek Bonfire

Oh wow, this is hard. I think they all are! Seriously, they are all so different yet their style is so right on. What I have in mind (for a start) are Tarik Sultan, Tito Seif, Mohamed Shahin, DaVid of Scandinavia - and then there is the relatively new one, Mohamed El Hosseny.

I guess I didn't help too much, did I?

Pirika Repun

Tarik Sultan, and Tito Seif are my two favorites. Jamil is my baby. ;)

Tarik is my teacher, of course I love his style. :cool:

Both Tarik and Tito are great dancers and teachers. Both of them are Egyptian style. Tarik teaches not only movements, but also culture, and history behind the dance and music as well. He never stop learning, and still learning after 25 years of his carrier. (He will have 25th anniversary show in December 5th!) http://www.bellydanceforums.net/belly-dance-events/13565-tarik-sultan-25th-anniversary-gala-celebration.html

I'm sure Tito also knows a lot of things, but I assume that language is his problem. He speaks English but still not comfortable with it.

Jamil is lovely sweet person. His style is not Egyptian, and I assume more like American Oriental, Lebanese? I have to ask him though. LOL.

I'm pretty sure you can see from these videos, they move gracefully but still can tell they are MEN.

Here is Tarik's video:
Oriental:

Shaabi:

Tito is my idol and boy friend that Tarik said. :lol:

Other dancers I like is Jamil (he is my baby!) of OZ.

Last edited:

Remus

I love Jamil, he is so cute. There is also another guy, Zadiel Sasmaz, who I like his moves.
Ozgen is one of my favorites, too

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
...how to encourage them and make certain moves more masculine.

As Morocco says, "The movement vocabulary is the movement vocabulary".

Please don't have them "masculinize"...

My tips page for teachers:

Male Student, Now What?

And for prospective males:

Getting Started

As for favorite males, mine are DaVid, (the now retired) Kamaal, (the now retired) Aziz, and our very own Tarik. There are plenty of others, but I haven't seen enough of their dancing (Tito, for instance - although what I've seen looks good), blah, blah.

Last edited:

Farasha Hanem

My personal favorites are Tarik, Tito, Zorba, David of Scandinavia Tribal Fusion dancer named Frank, and a young dancer that probably isn't so young anymore, Al Hassan:

If he was this amazing at age 11, just think of what he'll be like when he's older! :shok:

Here is my favorite clip of Tito. It's a bit long, but you won't care because his performance is just wow!!! :D

Anything Tarik does is amazing! :D

See? Even just casually fooling around in a market, he's amazing! :D

Here's David of Scandinavia:

And Tribal Fusion dancer, Frank:

And of course, the wonderful Zorba! :D

Last edited:

Maria_Aya

Ok I love male bellydancers !!!

Prince Kayammer !

Khaled Mahmoud !

Tito !

David of Scandinavia !

Ozgen !

Serkan !

Horacio Cifuentes !

Hard working all of them on teqnick and everything !

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I totally forgot - there is a guy 3 hours from me, Steven Eggers - who does the Rachel Brice style ooey-gooey slow and slinky Tribal dancing INCREDIBLY well! He's like, WOW!

steveneggers.com

And I'll second anyone/everyone's nomination of Horacio too.

gisela

Super Moderator
Tito, Horacio Cifuentes (also a fantastic teacher!!!)

I had the pleasure of taking some workshops with Mahdy Emara (living in the Netherlands) and it was very, very good! His choreographies are amazing. His performances were also wonderful.

This guy is merely 17, Illan from france. I saw him this summer and we were all sitting with out mouths open. He was mesmerizing. Way more so in real life than on this tiny video. But still, someone to look out for in the future, and now.

seona

Tito!!! My number one! I am very impressed with the standard of male dancing I have seen - you guys raq!!! Tarik is amazing and I love the clip of DaVid that has been posted elsewhere. Bravo :clap:

I'm sure I read somewhere that BDSS have a male dancer - who is that?

Greek Bonfire

That would be me.

Just kidding. I wish. Maybe I'm trying to manifest that by posting it here.

I'm all for it! I know others have wanted to see male dancers with BDSS. And you probably know that DaVid was the assistant choreographer for their latest Bollywood tour so maybe that's a start.

seona

That would be me.

Just kidding. I wish. Maybe I'm trying to manifest that by posting it here.

Are you sure it's not you? he he! Maybe one day!

G/bonfire, I'd heard of the BDSS Bollywood show, didn't know DaVid was (assistant) choreographer - awesome!

Last edited: