Favorite instructional video

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michelle

I know we had a thread like this once upon a time but I always felt it was useful so I figured we should resurrect it....
What is your favorite instructional DVD/video? What makes it your favorite? I am still a student so any input you give is extremely welcome!:D

Shanazel

I like the Heartbeat of Belly Dance with Jenna and Roqui. The breakdown of rhythms and explanations of the same offered by Roqui are very interesting indeed. That girl can come drum at my haflas any time!

Inanna

I really love the instructional videos by Jillina. I love how the video is set up, with a warm up and then she shows you the moves she will be using later on in the video, then there is a section where the moves are put together into combinations, and then after that you get to some actual choreography and then my favourite part is seeing her dance the choreography you just learned at a performance.

Demelza

Inanna - I agree with you....Jillina's performance at the end of the "Instructional Bellydance with Jillina - level 2" is especially good - definately one of my favourites. :)

slinks

I have many favourites :)

Mesmera's Garden, Keti's A-Z 1 & 2 and her new Astrobelly, Shamira's Pure Technique, Aziza's veil, Hadia...... just naming a few

Michelle

you guys are great... thanks for your input!

Attachments

• 1183.jpg
    1183.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 1184.jpg
    1184.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 10

zahra

Hi Michelle,

I love the dvd series by Hadia-she is a fabulous instructor and
a beautiful dancer.

The other series I love is by Veda Sereen. She has instructional
videos/dvds for sword, cane, etc. Well done.

Good luck on your dance journey! :)

Viv

Right now the two I am using for at home practice are Aziza's Ultimate Bellydance Practice Companion and Rachel Brice's Tribal Fusion Belly Dance. I try to alternate back and forth and do one video a day.
The Aziza one is a great workout and very much like re-taking part of the workshop I attended that she taught. I'm not certain I would recomend it for a baby dancer, but an fairly advanced beginner on up would probably enjoy it. Her personality comes through very strongly on the video and I find myself giggling and grinning as I workout.
The Rachel Brice one I recomend to my beginning students when they are looking for a video to do at home. It has 15, 30, and 45 minute practice options as well as the ability to turn off the verbal instruction if you so choose. I like that it is very easy to see what she is moving when due to her physical build. I had originally bought it mainly for the yoga warmups and cool downs and ended up really feeling like I got a lot more than I had expected.

Sara

I'm finding it really difficult to find a really good DVD which suits what I want. I have Jillina, Rachel Brice, and a few others, but none of them really work on what I want.

I'm still shopping for something quite intensive or full of flavour. OUt of the ones I have though, I like watching Jillina's performance too at the end of Level two.

Ludmilla

Dvd preferences?

Hi Slinks - Your library is really interesting! I am at a point of wanting to find a few really outstanding DVD's if possible, to be able to guide my practicing and supplement classes. From the many dozens out there, it would be nice to try to pick the best in a few categories -- Would you be able to comment at all - On the choreography dvd's for example (I have Jilina 1 + 2 and find them very helful -- I like to think though that there are more or others that are really great) of those you list, the one that I have thought most of getting is Keti's Jewel of Arabia - But I can't find anywhere the title of the song/singer/composer of the music she uses so I can assess whether it is the type of music etc I would like. (Also to advertise the DVD I would think it is essential to tell what song you are using...among other things you know if it's fast, slow, what style, etc) -- Do you happen to know?

Also - of those listed that you have from IAMED, and for Technique, is/are there one or a few really outstanding among the several you have, or have seen? (For me I find it is the one in my small collection I reach for more often than any others that tells me it is really worth having) -- Is there one or a few that you might call 'must haves'?

Also, for performance DVD's is there one that is outstanding? Reading reviews, I seem to see downsides to nearly all of them (prod. quality, etc) -- I realize it depends on what style you want to see, but I just want to see excellent dance - something new or innovative, or just quality above the norm to refer to for inspiration, if you had to choose just one or a few to have --

Anyway, Slinks, if you or any of you, have a short list - say one instructional that blows all the others away; one choreography, technique, etc -- I'd be curious -- (Some I have bought with such high hopes only to really wonder how they ever got glowing reviews...) I believe Shira, etc but it really helps to get input on these -- (and new ones coming out all the time, too) -- Best regards! Ludy

Okay, I'll join in here, lol, though you may get get bored after the first paragraph !!!

IAMED
Aziza's, veil
Anaheeds', Classic Caberet Floorwork
Ansuya's, Lavish Layers
Ansuya's, Hot Combinations
Leyla's, 21 Shimmie's

Choreograghies
Jillina's, 1, 2 & 3
Shamira's, drum Solo's 1 & 2
Shamira's, Zill workshop
Keti's, Jewel of Arabia
Hadia's, 4 DVD Ultimate
Rania's, Modern Egyptian

Techniquie
Keti's, A-Z 1 & 2
Keti's, new Astrobelly
Shamira's Sensuous workout 1 & 2
Sonia and Issam, The Art of the Drum Solo
Mesmera's, Garden
Amira Mor's, Soul Mate
Alexandra King's 1 2 & 3

These are all my instructionals, I also have a list of performances and Bellyrobics, I'm fanatical about that.... I'm a DVD buying addict that needs help !! I've slowed down alot.... these have been collected over an 8 year period....

Ludmilla

DVD's -- more

MichelleD - thanks for comments. Any input really helps to sort out what is best, what is worth purchasing. Doesn't someone have one or more DVD's they love to pieces to recommend (for instructional, performance, etc -- any style - just good quality dance and camera work) -- TGIF - Ludy

miss_shimmy

aw

wow michelle my first was jaqueline chapman!!she is lovely to speak to,bless her!!
veena and neena,oh yes,I love them,so natural.

I love fatchance bellydance too!

arent we fortunate that there are all these dvd's for us to learn with.

hugs

miss shimmy
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Amirah (Hawwa)

I've ordered something new to my library - instructional "Veil with Aziza" and Hossam and Serena "Visual melodies" (perfomances)
Still waiting them ;)

Hadassah

Veena and Neena are close to my heart, because they were my first experience with bellydance. I have Jillina 1&2, and LOVE her choreo to Warda in 2. I'm trying to learn it.

My very fave, so far, though has to be Nourhan Sharif's Assaya video. I like her teaching style, her warmth, and I love all the new Saidi moves I learned from the video. She really makes it seem as fun as it's supposed to be, as well as delving into the history of the Saidi culture.

Status
Not open for further replies.