Favorite instructional video

Status
Not open for further replies.

gypsyroze

Let me see, DVD's. Veena and Neena were my first. They are for beginners. I really liked the explanation and breakdown of basic moves in their videos.

I also have Rachel Brice's Drills and Yoga Isolations. This is an excellent DVD to practice posture and lower back support, I also found that this DVD will help with arm endurance, and gives great breakdown for isolated moves.

I have Suhaila's fitness set, the Buns, Pilates, Jazz, and Yoga DVD's. I love these DVDs because they all have nice breakdown of movements, and I feel they all work on flexibility and conditioning. There are also really good perfomances, and bonus workouts on these DVDs.
I also have Suhaila's Stretch & Tone DVD. Its kind of funny, because its so 80's! But i feel the DVD will help with endurance, and conditioning and is a nice warmup before dancing.

I love Jillina's choreography DVDs. She breaks down the choreography so well, and has practice time for various conbinations. She also Performs the choreography beautifully.

I also have Delilah's Bellydance Workshop Vol 1. This DVD is excellent, and make sure you get the DVD because there is TONS of footage on the DVD version. She works hips, and torso, zills, arms and hands. She has a performance on this DVD. The direction and breakdown are excellent. This is another very 80's (?) video, so its a lot of fun to watch the old footage. This video is excellent for all levels of dancers, I think.

The videos I have on order: Hahbi Ru (I finally had to return these to my friend :( )
Susanne Del Vecchio (Very graceful dancer, got a chance to watch this video through a friend's library.
Fat Chance Bellydance series
The rest of Delilah's videos
Ansuya's DVD's (I got a chance to borrow these also)
Sonia's Drum Solo DVD

That's all from me right now

Ludmilla

DVDs --

Gypsyroze - Thanks for rundown on these DVD's -- Still can't decide which to commit to -- I guess you have to take a chance and just get some -- It's good to hear what you and others like and details on what's on them -

lagrosse

Hi!

I like "21 shimmies an 1001 variations".... Leyla Jouvana describes with lots of patience every movement.

Rachel's is more yoga, but I found it helps a lot your body position.

"The heartbeat of bellydancee". I love Raquy's explanation of the rhythms and Jenna's steps for each rhytim.

"The art of drum solo"....what can I say, I just love Isaam and rhythms. This DVD has both so....

Laura

Ludmilla

Gypsyroze - Ludy here again: I checked Delilah's BD Workshop Vol 1 on web -- reviewed very highly etc etc -- My question: I am not really looking for a "basic" video at this point -- (I know can always improve on those moves, yes, but -- ; also not looking for zills instruction which is featured on this DVD. SOme moves listed sound interesting but are for arms (the variety of moves listed for arms, if that was for shimmies, undulations etc great...) and what I'd really like are some rather "esoteric" moves I don't know yet.... BUT - do you still recommend it? It sounds good, but for about $50 I am just wondering if there is something possibly a little more advanced or new and different..... (Ansuya maybe....? Just don't know) -- If you feel sometimes "you've heard it all" and really want to be blown away by some really new or interesting new moves, AND want that on an instructional DVD With a performance on it... That's what I have in mind if it's out there -- ..... any suggestions? (If Delilah still worth it in your opinion, please let me know but if since you've seen it you can tell something else would be better for what I'm looking for, would really be interested in hearing...) Anyone? L.

gypsyroze

Hi Ludy,

Delilah is so worth, but if you are looking for something a little more advance, try vol 2 or 3, or you could try her Retro Choreography. Also, Delilah gives rather advanced moves for beginning students to work up to.
I can understand what you mean by wanting a little more advanced work. I will say this, with videos or DVDs from dancers like Delilah, Rachel, or Jillina, I have found if you combine their instruction, you ca get the advancement you seek. Also Susanne Del Vecchio, I think her videos are a little more geared to intermediate and advanced students. Delilah, Suhaila, Fat Chance and Rachel concentrate on technique, which gives advanced students alot to work with.

I feel Ansuya is also great to advanced students.You can't go wrong with her either.

The prices for the videos from these dancers will always be worth, lots of times they are self produced, which explains the price. I have also heard excellent things about "1001 Shimmies" and Hossam and Serena Ramzy's videos. ALso from Suhaila's videos, you have ther videos that teach her mother's, Jamila's technique. These are great also, adn they are on sale in vhs format at her sight.

Another good video, which is not bellydance, but blends nicely with middle-eastern dance are the Ori Tahitian dance dvds. Very excellent work, and nice fusion with middle-eastern dance. I think you will find that once you start buying videos, you'll be hard pressed to stop :D I hope this helps!

Ludmilla

Gypsyroze - I appreciate these details so much! This helps & gives me direction on what to look for. (I now get the idea.....there is not just one great DVD - several of them together can be dynamite to one's practice)-- These guidelines can direct what to choose...........in a way, it's like a "program" to use -- (can't have a meal only with salad or bread.....need a few different courses to enrich and create a dinner) -- sorry if that sounds corny - pun intended - but yes, short of blowing the budget in a week, wanted to selectively start gathering a few to build a little library....This is perfect to give me a push forward, and more important than exactly which one DVD I may choose, it sounds like...but which group might make for a nice mix..........Thanks again, GYPSYR. -- Ludy

Amirah (Hawwa)

I've recently bought Hossam and Serena Ramzy Visual melodies, now it's my favourite dvd - really good egyptian choreographies, it was really helphul for me, because where I live there are no instructors who teach egyptian style...

Happy dancing ;)

Samaya

Suhaila

I was wondering if anyone has any of Suhaila's instructional or dance video's.

I was thinking about getting one, but I wasn't sure which one

thanks for any input...

nagini

epiphany

I too went through the hand-wringing trying to decide which DVD to spend my hard-earned cash on... Until I realized how many of them I could get thru Netflix!!! They have quite a few, and it's especially good for beginners to get a sample and find out which instructors you like and which ones don't inspire you. It's a really good way to see a lot of DVD's for very little money.:D

gypsyroze

thanks for any input...

Suhaila's videos are great. I borrowed a few from a friend to see if I would like them. Her workout DVD series is excellent, and uses lots from her technique. The thing about Suhaila's videos is that you will get lots of technique and structure.
Her performance videos are very inspiring, especially if you get the Sheherezad (sp) videos are great!

Amanda (was Aziyade)

thanks for any input...

Her fitness fusion DVDs will introduce you to her method, but I still adore the old choreography series. I think these are on sale on her website.

The best in that line (in my not so humble opinion) are the Archive Series of Jamila's steps. Taught by Suhaila, they describe in detail pretty much all the moves of Jamila's format.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

If you like Egyptian style ...

let me shout it from the rooftops:

SHAREEN EL SAFY

If Shareen were a god, I would worship her. I STILL go over her videos on like a monthly basis and I STILL find new things each time. She is absolutely amazing.

Video quality is homemade. This upsets some people. ???

She's a true treasure and honestly, she's the first instructor I had who actually changed the way I danced and how I felt WHEN I danced.

www.shareenelsafy.com

I'm going to see her next weekend -- hopefully she's working on a new video as we speak!

(I love the Hadia series as well, both the old set and the new. I sort of feel like Hadia raised me. She was my first workshop teacher, and for a while I was doing two workshops with her every year. )

And shoot me, but darn it I still like Alexandra King's #3 and #4 video -- the ethnic dance ones. She introduced me to Persian dance. Yum!

milky

I have:
Jillina's Level1~3
Suhaila's (Yoga,Jazz,Pilates)
Sonia&Issame The Art of Drum Solo

All of them has different style. I think it good to learn from diversified styles of bellydance:)

Last edited:

Nayila

what are you looking for?

I'm finding it really difficult to find a really good DVD which suits what I want. I have Jillina, Rachel Brice, and a few others, but none of them really work on what I want.

I'm still shopping for something quite intensive or full of flavour. OUt of the ones I have though, I like watching Jillina's performance too at the end of Level two.

just curious..could be more specific about what you want and if you have found anything that comes close?

thx
nayila

Nayila

instructionals

good comments, dancers.

I also love veena and neena, first look at bellydance and all. but they have good posture and classical moves. maybe the bad reviews are by those who think that the twin thing is overworked.

it is my advice to AVOID AMIRA MOR like the plague. just not good for instructional purposes. she does do shimmy drills on her cardio dvd but you can do that yourself playing around.

I see votes for both jenna and Raquy and Sonia and issam....even if you take out the accents in the rhythm breakdowns they explain their common rhythms DIFFERENT placing dums on different beats and in differing numbers--for example:

Raquy's Saiidi has DUMs on 1, 2, 4, 5
and Issam on the 1, 4, 5

and the malfouf was very different----so it can be tough for a beginner recognizing rhythms. listen to lots of examples and go with the most common breakdown and one that feels good to your instincts.

Also, the fitness series from Rania Bosonnis--okay for exercise, forget it for bellydance instruction (she does great solo pieces in costume though at end)

Gabi

The 21 Shimmies - lots of fun and exercise and Wow what a bang for your buck.

I swear hand shimmies are verrry hard :lol:

Mousse

Oh, gosh, I only had one video in my life, the first video Atea ever made.(I hope I'm remembering her name correctly) That tells you how old I am! It was wonderful at the time, but a lot of years have gone by since I had a chance to even dance just at home for myself. The next video I get will be a dvd for one thing and I'd like to try out something newer. I was going over instructionals videos available and there has been a massive blossoming of them since I bought that first tape. I don't know where to begin. It's like being let loose in a candy store!

Since I consider myself to be brand-new(have forgotten everything plus recovering from lots of surgery), I was looking at one called "Belly Dance For Beginners--Dancing With Paulina".

That is a set of three---terribly expensive for me so I hunted down Part I on auction. I'm just hesitating to get it.

Has anyone ever seen this? Any opinions on its quality as an instructional video? I ask because I've seen lots of sample of videos with lovely dancing but not so good in the teaching arena. I would sure appreciate the advise of someone on this dvd. I can afford to get just one dvd for a while to start with.

~Mousse~

Fire Lily

Favorate videos

My instructional DVD libary consists mainly of Veena and Neena, Jillina, and the Rachel Brice yoga dvds.
I have to agree with the ladies who use Rachel’s dvd’s. I’m trying to work on flexibility and strength training. So the option of the various timed sessions, helps to build up insurance over time in a gentle manner. You’re able to go at your own pace.
Although it technically not bellydance. I use Carmen Electra’s strip tease videos to help add that extra bit of spice. Without actually stripping of course!

Fire LIly

Mousse

Here's the thing I'd really love to see in an instructional video that I had with my one and only(and ancient Atea tape)---

someone who describes exactly what your doing and which muscle you're using.

For examply, if someone says "Look at what I'm doing and follow" and that is all, then I'm apt not to understand anything about which muscle she's isolating. The first time I saw a belly dancer overseas when I was a kid, I couldn't figure out how this wonderful dancer "lifted" her hip, when it was apparent she was not "pushing" up with her leg.

Well, it was because she was contacting this marvelous little muscle in the side of her waist(don't know which it was, Im so bad with anatomy) But I was just in awe at this; I can't explain why.

It's so much more complex that people think. I just love it.

So I really need to have someone say, "this movement is made by tracing a circle-eight on an imaginary point on the floor with the hip." It's all the difference in the world.

So the most talked about teachers on this thread, do their videos do this? I can't find a clip that shows one of the teachers showing a bit of her teaching technique.

I love to amass libraries of things I love, but I've got enough to buy just one dvd for now and I need it to be very good with the basics. That's why I was looking at the "Belly Dance for Beginners--Dancing with Paulina". The site I was on showed a few seconds(only) and it looked decent, but I'm just not sure.

~Mousse~

Status
Not open for further replies.