Please help!...stage-fright!

*Nila*

I would suggest just doing something in front of people at every oppotunity! Go to karaoke bars and sing in front of people. Take a couple of speech seminars that target stage fright. Join a drama club or class. Anything that gets you in front of people.

Also, try not to think about what others will think of you. Think about how much you love this and you want to share it someone. It might help. Breathing exercises help too.

Hmm, I guess this could be really helpfull...I will try to look for something like this ( although in our small town, it will be problem ). Actually I´m shy person, I was never kind of person who would want to perform in public and I guess I wouldn´t start to dance in public if I wouldn´t have to start to perform with fencer´s group...I walked through the worst with them, and realized that I want to perform with dancing. But still I have something from this "rather die than get in front of people and speak" also in mind:D

*Nila*

Corylus, thanks for advices...I really hope that it will work for me too...that the more I will perform, the better self-confidence will come:)

Corylus

the more I will perform, the better self-confidence will come:)

You're welcome for the advice Nila! I appreciate how hard it is to overcome stage fright.

I truly believe that performing more will help you to combat your nerves :D

wishing you all the best!

Corylus

Greek Bonfire

When I first started performing, some of my friends and family would be there, so I would focus on their faces a lot after scanning the audience. Of course they would be smiling. Not all people smile though but that's not because they don't like you but rather that they are concentrating on what they are watching.

And then I did try the imagine-them-in-their-underwear but my grin was a little too silly so forget that!

Nila,

As a musician, I've faced stage fright, and as a musician for bellydancers, I've seen it in many dancers. It's important to remember that everyone in the audience is there to be entertained, which means they all want you to succeed. In other words, they are pulling for you--they're on your side! If you go out with the idea that you're going to have more fun than anyone in the room, your audience will have fun with you.

At the risk of a little shameless self-promotion, I'll mention that the inexpensive hypnosis tool Mosaic mentioned is discussed here:

http://www.bellydanceforums.net/market-place/8286-hypnosis-cd-bellydancers.html

Remember, the audience loves you!

James

Belly Love

I just realized that of all of the bd vids I looked at, it never even occurred to me that some of them might have been nervous during their performance. Even if you can fake the confidence, people will believe it.

Shara

try to find a group that meets informally on a regular basis like a drum ring or an SCA group that would welcome you to dance around their fire after meetings and such..... especially if they have a dancer that would welcome you to dance with her (or him). Once you are used to that, you can start practicing on a stage... if you have access to a stage that you can practice on, it helps to practice with no one there, then with some friends there...
plus all the previous advice. And make sure that you know your technique is good... that is the main thing that should give you confidence. I tell my students, "If you are dancing by yourself and you forget or mess up, you and I are the only ones who know, and my only concern is that you continue as if that is how it was supposed to be!" Of course if you are in a group, it is a different story!

*Nila*

Thanks to all of you for your tips...Still no opportunity to really try them, so I just practice and study dancing and hope it will help:)

goddessyasaman

When I first started perfoming I would, and still this helps, I say before I dance, I'm going to dance a beautiful dance and I'm going to have fun, that helps me, once I'm on stage performing I look out at the crowd and I see them as one person, like as a whole. also I would practice in the mirror as I dance and would imagine I see a big crowd and that I was dancing for them and I did awsome, these sounds kind of silly I guess but they helped me.