Page 1 of 18 123456711 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Oriental Forum Advent Calendar 2010

Hello! I wish you all Merry Christmas and Merry to be the days after the winter solstice! [as this is celebrated in all religions].

This is the Oriental Forum Advent Calendar for 2010 and each day the person who has undertaken the day, will offer a treat to the rest as well as to all the members and the visitors of the Forum!

Stay tuned!

Enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1st of December 2010

Day 1. I offer you a Christmas cookie recipe that was developed during the depression. It's rich and yummy and has a very high yield (great for giving out as gifts) and stores well in a cookie tin.

Christmas Spice cookies
    Cooking time 5-7 min. Preheat oven to 375.
    Presift 6 3/4 cups of flour

Mix all ingredients as you add then in the following order:

1 cup Sugar
    1 cup Vegetable Shortening (Crisco - do not get the butter flavor!)
    1 egg
    1 tsp ground clove
    1 cup dark molasses
    Mix 1 tsp of baking soda with 1 tsp cider vinegar, then add this mix to the main mix
    2-3 tsp of each of the following: ground ginger, ground nutmeg, ground cinnamon

Slowly start to mix in the sifted flour. It will take some time and require a good bit of effort. You should be able to work in the first 6 cups of the flour. Save the last 3/4 cup for flouring your work surface and rolling pin.

Roll the dough out on your lightly floured work surface until very thin (about 1/8"). Cut into holiday shapes and bake until light brown around the edges.

Again, this yields a ton of cookies and they are oh soo yummy with coffee or tea.
    Last edited by Dev; 12-02-2010 at 07:17 AM. Reason: add date

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Nath for day 1. The cookies sound rather yummy!
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cookies with molasses!

Perfect! I wanted such a recipe! Can we replace all sugar with molasses?

Wow! when you say "depression" you mean the 1929 Depression? Then, this recipe fits this age!

Thank you Nath!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes it is from the Great Depression. I don't recommend replacing all the sugar with molasses as it will change the texture of the biscuit and make them too wet. These bake up into a firm biscuit, not a soft cookie. Unless of course, that's what you prefer.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2nd of December 2010

I got some Youtube clips for today:

How to wrap a cat for x-mas

This is so cool, surprise in food court:

Creepy Santa's:
    Sketchy Santas - Creepy Santa Claus is Creepy

And if you want to have a good laugh, search on Youtube for 'drunk santa', be warned, they are much more creepy! That is why I didn't post the clips here.
    Last edited by Dev; 12-02-2010 at 07:18 AM. Reason: added date

Post Thanks / Like

Ahhhhh back to the drawing board for me! I had how to wrap a cat for Xmas all lined up for my day LOL It is the cutest cat ever that fellow. My cats would just think YAY! paper lets have a 'ripping' good time

Love the food court surprise - fantastic! As for creepy santa can you just imagine seeing that!
    Thanks Amulya they were fun.
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Nath, those cookies are soooooooooooo good! I'm dying for one now!

Amulya, this is so much fun with you posting because those of us over here in the USA get two postings in one day, with you being so far ahead in time! Great videos BTW.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Amulya, the videos are so funny!

and i liked the cat so much! it was so cooperative, so calm, as if the wrapping was the cat's idea! and how proudly the cat was sitting to be wrapped! same as an aristocrat who waits the tailor to make the costume on her!

That was great! I would love that people were everywhere so ready to sing oratoria for Christmas! (i know that the singers are professional, but i have seen that many non-professionals joined them in singing).

Nath, i did not know that if i use molasses, then i can creat soft cookies! I would love this! Thank you for the recipe and for the alternative ways to prepare the cookies!

Post Thanks / Like

The wrapped kittie is wonderful! I can't believe he just lay there patiently like that.

Flash mobs can be great or a pain, but the holiday ones at the malls are always welcome. It must be as much fun to be part of one as it is to get caught up in one.

Thanks for the smiles, Amulya.

Page 1 of 18 123456711 ... LastLast