Oriental Forum Advent Calendar 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Farasha Hanem

Thank you everybody.

Nath , I cant make cookies but I will pass it to somebody who can make some for me, Thank you for the great start.

Thank you Amulya and Farasha .

Dear Farasha I have added the date to the first two entries It will probably make it easier for people to spot the particular day to follow.

Thank you, Dev. :)

I love your poem and your Santa pic! :D Did you write the poem?

EDIT: Sorry for being in such a hurry last night when I posted, but I was making dinner while waiting to submit my day's offering for the calendar. Our family has a crazy work schedule. :confused: Nath, I'm going to try your recipe with my daughter this year---will let you know how they turn out! ^^ Amulya, loved your videos, especially the Hallelujah Chorus! :D Our high school choir sang it every year as the finale to our Christmas concert, so your vid brought back fond memories. :)

Shanazel, I thought you meant that you were gonna send sheet music of the Hallelujah Chorus to every musician you know; I was gonna take you up on it! :confused: :(

Last edited:

Shanazel

Oh, heck, no! Every musician I know already has sheet music of the Hallelujah Chorus. Even I have lost count of how many times I've performed it as a choral soprano!

Loved the poem, Farasha. And Dev- have you been spying on our Christmases? :lol:

walladah

Thank you Dev

for the poem and the wish, for quiet Christmas!

This is something all people want but very few admit they long for!

Nath

Dev that is so funny. Thanks for the poem.

Greek Bonfire

Farasha, I really love your poem!

Dev, that was quite original - I loved it!

Wow, everybody here has been so creative and inventive.

Aniseteph

5th December 2010

This is a lovely warm fuzzy thread - thanks for all the lovely posts!

OK my turn. Nostalgia-fest:

(dissolves into heap of fantasy Euro-centric fairyland mush, with snow and horses...

For anyone who wasn't exposed to that one at an impressionable age, a not-so traditional version of the snowflakes from The Nutcracker. Awesome snow-tossing IMHO.

And as an antidote, this is kinda creepy, unless you're a Dalek trying to get festive. YouTube - Musical Tesla Coils Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Thanks Aniseteph, I haven't watch the 6 Cinderella ones yet, - only 2 so far - reminds me of when I was a kid, I use to get so mad at the stepmother and ugly sisters, I would so want to kick them in the shins (& also take whips to them:lol:). You are so right about the dance of the snowflakes LOL! decidedly odd:lol: .... Dance of the Daleks certainly would be a better title;)
~Mosaic

walladah

Aniseteph,

THose videos are great!

I liked the Cinderella video (so well constructed and directed, no need to understand what they say, it is obvious from their faces!!!) and i loved the snowflake dance!

You made my day!

Daimona

Sorry, I was too eager to post. Must wait another day, and today is Nejmeh's day!

Last edited:

Dev

Thank you again everybody for your contributions and for liking my poem.

I did not write the poem, I found the poem in another site (about.com) a Christmas poem that suits my wishes.;) .

I do not know about you guys but 2010 was an interesting year for me and my family health-wise. It was first my mum with her three operations to correct her vision, and then my partner having melanoma treatment, followed by a poisonous spider bite, then a heart attack for my mother in law which subsequently killed her, all in 6 months.

good grief :shok:I have just read what I have written, it looks very depressing but it wasn't all bad :D.

Thank you all.

Shanazel

Dev, honey, I don't even want to know what you'd consider bad. Here's wishing you all a better new 2011!

Nejmeh

My submission for December; Today is the official birthday of Sinterklaas(our 'santa claus') in Holland. And with that belong 'pepernoten'(peppernutts), best described as mini cookies.

Recipe for pepernoten:

* 250 gram flour
* 3 gram bakingpowder
* 5 gram cinnamon
* 2½ gram grinded clove
* 2 gram kardemom (thats english right?)
* 1 gram gingerpowder
* 125 gram butter
* 125 gram brown soft sugar ( 'basterdsuiker')
* 50 gram sirup for on your pancakes, this->Van Gisle schenkstroop - €2.23 : Dutchfoodshop.nl, Al uw Nederlandse producten, wereldwijd te bestellen
* 3 gram salt

* Siff the flour with the bakingpowder and the spices in a bowl.
* Warm up the butter, sugar, syrup and salt in a little pan upto 45 degrees celsius, until its all melted.
* Pour this into the bowl with the flourmix and stirr it untill its smooth.
* Put the mixture on a cool spot an let it stiffen for a couple of hours.
* Roll the dough out untill its about 1/2 cm thick and make little buttonsized(a big button!) portions.
* Put these on a pre buttered bakingplate and pt them in the oven for about 15 minutes on 180 degrees Celsius
* Take them off, let them cool down and enjoy!

To get a little idea:
Pepernoten(stupid song though) YouTube - Pepernotensamba !
Bloopers(and a traditional song!): YouTube - De sint bloopers
Specially for the dutchies, you would get the humor in this one: YouTube - Openingslied 2007 - Kom van dat dak af, Zwarte Piet :dance:

But most of all, I would like to wish you all a very nice december month and hopefully either sinterklaas or santa claus will give you what you wished for! And thank you all for having the patience and kindness with me on this forum!

Aniseteph

Oh Dev, what a year. :(

I hope Christmas and the New Year are happier and less eventful for you and yours.

Mmmm, those sound nice Nejmeh. And I'm calling soft brown sugar basterdsuiker from now on, much more fun... :D

Nejmeh

Oh Dev, what a year. :(

I hope Christmas and the New Year are happier and less eventful for you and yours.

Mmmm, those sound nice Nejmeh. And I'm calling soft brown sugar basterdsuiker from now on, much more fun... :D

:DCan`t help it, that seemed to be the translation!

Ow btw, they are also very nice if you cover them with chocolate!(isn`t pretty much everything though?)

Mosaic

Super Moderator
:lol: Basterdsuiker, I like that! The biscuits sound like gingernut cookies & they are rather nice, it's a shame I am not a cook, I am trying to think who I can con into making them.

Love the bloopers Poor Santa claus - horses and santa just don't seem to get along very well:D

Thanks Nejmeh
~Mosaic

Status
Not open for further replies.