Where do you practice?

sstacy123

Those with their own studios I'm sure don't have such a problem but I just wondered where did everyone else practice at? I just don't feel like I have a good space to practice like I'd like. I feel like my room at home is just too crowded...I mean you don't have to have a lot of space to practice a lot of the moves but I like to be able to move around and the routine that I've been practing requires some space. I really like to practice at work. We have an employee exercise room and it has mirrors! That's another reason I don't like to practice at home because I don't have mirrors where I can see myself. The problem at work is someone always comes in there when I'm practicing and I"m not comfortable practicing with people in there...so I often end up quitting before I'm ready to...so I'd really be practing a lot more if I had a good space to do it at.

Salome

Administrator
I rehearse in the dance stuido at my gym. It's an amazing space!!! it's private and free for me to use whenever I want for as long as I want. Since I go there on the weekdays to workout it's convenient to rehearse there too.

Moon

Same problem here. I try to practice in my room, but I have only like 1m² free space. I don't have a big mirror but I can use my window when it's dark outside. However a few months ago suddenly 3 guys walked besides my room and they were like :lol: and I was like :redface:, since than I'm more careful. I also don't like to practice when people are watching and my boyfriend is at home a lot now. I like that but it's not good for practice ;)

Last edited:

Gia al Qamar

I have a 7 ft square 'home studio' mirrored room in my house. It's not a huge 'stage' but it suffices nicely! I installed a flat screen TV, VCR/DVD & stereo so I can workout, rehearse and give private classes!
Gia

I practice in my living room when I'm working on my own choreography, but most of the time I head out to the school where there are mirrors and I can work on spatial awareness.
Yasmine

Yshka

I usually practise in my room too, only I dont have much space there. Cane practise doesn't work out very nicely. I do have enough space to practise without props (except with zills) and still are able to move around a bit. Dancing in front of my mirror poses a problem since it's so small, I usually practise without.

Safran

When I moved to my new flat, I decided to have as little furniture as possible, without realising at that moment how handy it would be when it comes to dancing :) Plus, the previous inhabitants left a floor-to-ceiling mirror into my living room. So, apart from the fact that my cane keeps hitting the ceiling when I twirl it, I am pretty happy with my practice space.

We can also rent our studio for practice time. It is nice to have that room to yourself every now and then :)

Sara

I practise in my home, but it's not very big.

I might rent out this community center for two hours or so on Saturday or something cause it's only £8 an hour.

Zurah

In my bedroom. It is kind of small, so traveling steps and such are pretty much out of the question. I don't like doing traveling steps very much, and prefer to keep them to a minimum anyway, although I know it's something I really should work on. I do wish I had more room for cane practice, though. No mirrors there, either, but I actually kind of prefer it that way.

miss_shimmy

yey

i have a room for dance,its just enough room,that if i lay on the floor,theres still a little space left over.
i practise down the hall,and in other parts of the house,when i can and where i can.
i dream of my own studio someday:)

Yshka

I would love an appartment with an extra room or so. I'd cover it in mirrors and make my own little studio out of it.

One can dream can't she:lol:

I would put up a curtain to roll across the mirror though, wouldn't want mirrors present all the time.

Rebecca_

I am really lucky - I'm a college student living in a dormitory - and I have a room such that I can not only practice but practice veil and cane. My room isn't huge so I do have to be careful not to punch my roommate with my veil or poke a hole through my TV with the cane. I also have a 4ft by 4ft mirror on the wall so I can see most of what I'm doing. Sure, it's not a great practice space if I'm going to be performing on a huge stage, but it's nice. I tried taking a picture for you guys, but it came out really small looking...

Fire Lily

practice

I practice whenever and wherever i can. From the shower, to lying in bed, to the bus stop, doing the laundry, at work, talking on the phone, watching the t.v, in music stores....do I need to go on?
I don't have a studio, or very much room in my house, so I take what opertunity I can

miss_shimmy

hi

I would love an appartment with an extra room or so. I'd cover it in mirrors and make my own little studio out of it.

One can dream can't she

ah Yshka,I hope one day your dream comes true :)

Yshka

Dear Miss Shimmy, I hope so too lol:cool:

I do practise travelling steps down the hall at our house if my parents are out.. For all other practise: shower, teeth-brushing, doing make up (it's a real challenge not smearing anything while shimmying, helps keep the upper body still lol) cleaning, bus stops, train station, on busses and trains, in college...

I've heard recently one can rent a dance space at the university's cultural centre. I'm going to look into that because I'll be there 4 days a week anyway.

Last edited:

milky

My family will move to a larger apartment next year. And after that I decide to install a big piece of mirror in my bedroom so that I can rehearse well:)

Kharmine

Other than my teacher's studio twice a week -- in my basement, although the ceiling is a bit low so I have to be careful about tossing up veils. Fortunately, I am short. The advantage is that we have a video player there so I can play an instructional tape if I want.

Other times we also have a guest room that's rather small and odd-shaped where I can go. Have to move some objects to make floor space, and I'm looking for a long mirror to hang so that I can check myself once in a while.

But if I really needed some room to travel when practicing at home, it would probably have to be in the dining room -- once I moved the table and chairs out of the way!

Maria_Aya

I'm used to small spaces since most of my lessons are privites at houses.
In general I do the drill practice in my house and the choreo's at the dance studio.

Maria Aya:)

Recnadocir

Because I work in a fitness center and a dance studio, I always have somewhere to practice, every day. But I used to practice in my car a lot. One day I was pulled over by a CHP. He was livid. He said I was going 90, made an improper lane change, following too closely, and something else I forget. Well, at the time I was rolling along, with Oojami blaring on the CD player, working on my layering- glute squeezes, undulations down to up, up to down, etc. I almost blurted this out as an "excuse" then fortunately thought better of it. Well, he yelled at me for a couple of minutes, then let me go! I couldn't believe it! Out of 4 possible violations he didn't cite me for any! I guess Anubis was with me that night. But I remember hearing that one of Suhaila's teachers got pulled over on that same highway one night while playing her zils. She couldn't get them off in time, and the cop couldn't figure out how to ticket her for them...

Anyway, sorry. What was the question?

Shanazel

I can practice at the rec center, and the fitness center I belong to has a wonderful room with three mirrored walls. I have also practiced in my living room using my sliding glass doors for reflection, in the car, in the privacy of my office (though more than once I have body-waved myself up the hall when I THOUGHT no one was looking). I also used to dance in my fenced backyard using my shadow against the house for feedback. That was actually pretty cool, especially when my dogs took it into their heads to dance with me.