My First real Performance

Animallover

Hey guys, my first performance is coming up.
We're performing at this Diwali festival, where they light up the local park with colourful lights and performers dance and it's just an amazing festival, and I'm honoured to be a part.
I'm performing with my group to Como Tu by Alabina and the Gypsy Kings. The main problem is the fact we're a group - we cant get in sync very well, and there's always someone who goes the wrong way. I'm getting nervous, it's getting really close...Our teacher decided what we were going to wear, and I hate it! I wanted to wear something pretty, but instead it's there flared pant things that I trip over with the fast beat of the song.
any tips?

Yame

Hey guys, my first performance is coming up.
We're performing at this Diwali festival, where they light up the local park with colourful lights and performers dance and it's just an amazing festival, and I'm honoured to be a part.
I'm performing with my group to Como Tu by Alabina and the Gypsy Kings. The main problem is the fact we're a group - we cant get in sync very well, and there's always someone who goes the wrong way. I'm getting nervous, it's getting really close...Our teacher decided what we were going to wear, and I hate it! I wanted to wear something pretty, but instead it's there flared pant things that I trip over with the fast beat of the song.
any tips?

Practice in the "costume" until you're not tripping anymore. Practice the choreography until you can just do it without thinking about it. Practice it with expression until your smile comes naturally.

Then just... do it. When you're up there, don't worry about what the rest of the group is doing. Yes, pay attention and use your peripheral vision to make sure you're in sync, but if someone else messes up, don't worry about that. Worry about yourself. If someone else messes up something that is noticeable to the audience, they're the ones that will look bad... not you ;)

Also remember that a lot of things aren't noticeable to the audience. During my first group performance, our teacher messed something up and half of the group followed her while the other half kept doing what we were supposed to do. People just assumed it was intended that way. When we talked about it later with relatives, none of them had noticed there had been mistakes.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I second what Yame says. Practice, practice, practice, in the costume. Also if the pants are so long, take the hem up a fraction.

One's first performance seems rather daunting, but you will be proud of yourself when you have done it. Good luck!
~Mosaic

Nejmeh

Don`t worry, like yame said, it very likely no one will notice mistakes!
For the costume, well first take it in a bit. Then practise, practise, practise in it! As I understand your troupe is beginnerstroupe and based on the event, I do get the choice in costuming though.

Don`t worry and concentrate on having fun on stage with your troupemates!

jellytree

Good luck!

I agree with the above comments. I would trip on my costume and practiced until I didn't anymore. I did mess up but the only one who could notice were probably other bellydancers and my teacher. Just make it look like you meant it :) Audience never knows any better.