Weight issues...

Zak

Hello everybody my name is Zak and I have been bellydancing for the past 10 years now and over the years I have gained some weight. Not intentionally but I was in rehab (yes I said rehab) for almost a year, in that almost year period I wasn’t really worried about my weight and as a result I gained 70 unwanted pounds. I recently performed for the first time in a long time and after watching the video the next day I was a little upset about how much weight I have really gained. I have been working on trying to get my body back into better shape but some dancers here where i live think that i should stay the weight im at because bellydancers shouldnt be skinny. Its not about being skinny to me, its about being healthy. I want to be healthy and i know that at my age and height i should be a little lighter lol. I just dont want to upset anyone if i say that i dont want to be heavy/chubby/over-weight whatever the hell you want to call it.

So this made me want to know what other males think and what females think. :think:

Shakti

If you want to loose weight you should. How much is up to you. Your friends wont ever tell you to loose weight. I asked Veena Bidasha how they maintain their weight and they said that the do not eat sugar, follow a healthy low carb diet and do about 2 hours of bhangra a day, (cardio).+ weight training 3 days a week.

It will take some time to rebalance your metabolism- If you were in a substance rehab. Good luck!

Greek Bonfire

Congratulations to you Zak! And if you want to lose weight in order to be healthier, then go for it! You should be happy with your body. Some people are happier when they are heavier, and if they are content with their body image that way, more power to them. But you should do what's best for you and also have the body image you want and for your own self esteem.

By the way, I'm a size six, and I am also a very healthy weight for my size and frame. That's what is most important to me is that my weight be healthy for me.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Congratulations Zak for working through your problems and fighting to return to health also for returning to dancing:clap:

As for wanting to lose weight, go for it. It's great that you are at that place in your life that you care about how you feel and look, if you are not happy with your weight then it is time for the extra kilos to go. If one doesn't feel good about their body it can be depressing. Just lose that weight in a healthy slow and steady manner so you can keep it off and feel energised as you do shed the kilos.
~Mosaic

Tarik Sultan

You can't live your life being afraid of what others will think if you decide to do what makes you happy with your body. Its your life, your body and if you want to project a certain image, be healthier, etc, do it. I remember years ago when I started weight lifting, there were people who were really upset because they felt threatened about how it would reflect on them if I was muscular and toned and they weren't. It did leave me feeling conflicted and held me back. Now I realize that I'm at an age where I HAVE to exercise and build muscle mass for the sake of my health if for no other reason. There are far more benifits to be gained beyond the aesthetics. Improved immunity, bone density, strength, stamina. Not only will it improve your overall health, but your dance ability as well. Get the pounds off and especially add some weights for resistance. Even if you're not that old yet, it will have benifits in the future.

Zak! First of all, I love your dancing and I am glad you are back into it.

Tarik is absolutely right about the health benefits of working out and seeking a healthy balance in your weight.

I think it is good to strive to be at a weight/balance that you find emotionally, physically and mentally healthy.

You can use many avenues to be healthy; Dietary changes, yoga, dance, weight training...just remember to make any changes you want to make in a healthy way and be patient.

A quote that I have found helpful in dance is "the dance will color you"...meaning that your practice will shape you.

I am so glad to hear that you are back dancing, I can't wait to see more of you in the future.

DaVid

Belly Love

Good for you for getting yourself healthy by going to rehab :)

As far as weight goes, you should be at a weight that YOU want to be at. No matter what you look like, people are always going to have an opinion, positive or negative. It helps to get advice if you are unsure, but if you know what you want to look like and what weight you feel your best at, that's where you should be. (That goes for males and females.)

I personally prefer watching male dancers that are on the more fit/lean side- it's just what attracts my eye. Of course skill is most important, but I find that when you can see the muscle contours of the stomach during a performance it's more pleasing to look at.

There are many diverse opinions on what people like physically about belly dancers, which is partly what I like about it- there is room to be different.

Crow

There is a direct correlation between the diameter of the gut and the risk of coronary disease, so from a health point of view it's a no-brainer. Also bear in mind that statistically men have a higher risk of heart disease.

The most important thing though is to avoid falling in the trap of the "spring diet", that is, losing weight only to gain again, then lose, then gain, ad nauseum. If you have to diet, do it in a non-aggressive way, slowly and steady. Build a lifestyle, not a body.

People may say that there are all kinds of shapes, and that you have the weight that you feel most comfortable in, and there is truth in that: it's your body and you do with it whatever it is you like. But the fact remains that, from a medical point of view, you have to be fit, you have to be lean. You owe it to yourself.

da Sage

Hello everybody my name is Zak and I have been bellydancing for the past 10 years now and over the years I have gained some weight. Not intentionally but I was in rehab (yes I said rehab) for almost a year, in that almost year period I wasn’t really worried about my weight and as a result I gained 70 unwanted pounds. I recently performed for the first time in a long time and after watching the video the next day I was a little upset about how much weight I have really gained. I have been working on trying to get my body back into better shape but some dancers here where i live think that i should stay the weight im at because bellydancers shouldnt be skinny. Its not about being skinny to me, its about being healthy. I want to be healthy and i know that at my age and height i should be a little lighter lol. I just dont want to upset anyone if i say that i dont want to be heavy/chubby/over-weight whatever the hell you want to call it.

So this made me want to know what other males think and what females think. :think:

Congratulations on taking time to focus on your health and recovery!

I think that any weight loss efforts should be secondary to the support and meetings you need to support your sobriety.

I think that when people take drugs or drink too much, their bodies can be too distressed to consume (or absorb) food. Now your body is much healthier because you aren't putting poison in it, which is the most important thing. It's understandable though, that you might feel uncomfortable and dissatisfied with some of the other changes in your body.

I recommend that you make very small changes in your routine every week or two. Add more exercise back into your life - a little bit at a time. Learn to cook healthy meals, and do that first once a week, then several times a week. You could even organize people from your sobriety meetings to enjoy weekly hikes or healthy meals with you.

You are already healthy, and getting healthier every day that you stay clean. Everything else is secondary. Congratulations on how far you've come, and I wish you much happiness and success on the road ahead!

cjcronin

Variety is the key.

I somewhat agree with the advice given in the last post in terms of changing your routines. I have had a great deal of success losing weight and improving my fitness by 'shocking' my system - it is not always the most comfortable way, but does get results.

It was explained to me that I am a multi-celled organism and as a consequence highly adaptable. Therefore once the body is adapted to a new situation it settles down and stays that way - so you need to stimulate it both physically and diet-wise on a constant basis in order to procure change.

If you find you are in a physical routine, vary it, and try taking a leaf out of the French book of eating for taste and not for bulk. You very seldom see a fat Frenchman or woman, and this is the reason - they eat only small but very tasty portions and this strangely enough satisfies appetite.

Last edited by a moderator:

Greek Bonfire

I somewhat agree with the advice given in the last post in terms of changing your routines. I have had a great deal of success losing weight and improving my fitness by 'shocking' my system - it is not always the most comfortable way, but does get results.

It was explained to me that I am a multi-celled organism and as a consequence highly adaptable. Therefore once the body is adapted to a new situation it settles down and stays that way - so you need to stimulate it both physically and diet-wise on a constant basis in order to procure change.

If you find you are in a physical routine, vary it, and try taking a leaf out of the French book of eating for taste and not for bulk. You very seldom see a fat Frenchman or woman, and this is the reason - they eat only small but very tasty portions and this strangely enough satisfies appetite.

Henry G

Funny you should mention this because at one time bellydancing was enough to keep me in shape. But then my body got "used" to it and it didn't work the same. So I did a change-up, meaning I started to bike ride about 4-5 times a week and that helped me keep the weight off. I've done this before I started dancing - I used to bike ride about 5-6 times a week, because I loved it, but again, my body got used to it, so I changed up then and started rollerblading and running-doing one or the other. Same results.

Belly Love

very seldom see a fat Frenchman or woman, and this is the reason - they eat only small but very tasty portions and this strangely enough satisfies appetite.

True, but most of them are at a healthy weight and aren't super thin either. In the States we have this super thin ideal (obviously this is not everyones' ideal, I'm just making a general statement). If your not super thin, your not thin. It's very common for women of a healthy weight to constantly want to lose weight to be thinner. This isn't common in France. Yes, French women like to keep their figures, but that's just it, they try to "keep" their healthy figures. They are not constantly striving for a size zero idea of perfection- they embrace their healthy curves.

In the States, many people have an unhealthy relationship with food. That's why so many people are overweight or suffer from eating disorders. In France, women are more likely to have a healthy relationship with food, due to their upbringing and environment- to them, food is a good thing, it's meant to be enjoyed and one doesn't feel guilty after eating like they do in the States.

The U.K. is becoming like the states- they are seeing an increase in obesity and eating disorders.

As I'm typing this I'm thinking to myself, "I need to lose 20lbs".:confused:

seona

True, but most of them are at a healthy weight and aren't super thin either. In the States we have this super thin ideal (obviously this is not everyones' ideal, I'm just making a general statement). If your not super thin, your not thin. It's very common for women of a healthy weight to constantly want to lose weight to be thinner. This isn't common in France. Yes, French women like to keep their figures, but that's just it, they try to "keep" their healthy figures. They are not constantly striving for a size zero idea of perfection- they embrace their healthy curves.

In the States, many people have an unhealthy relationship with food. That's why so many people are overweight or suffer from eating disorders. In France, women are more likely to have a healthy relationship with food, due to their upbringing and environment- to them, food is a good thing, it's meant to be enjoyed and one doesn't feel guilty after eating like they do in the States.

The U.K. is becoming like the states- they are seeing an increase in obesity and eating disorders.

As I'm typing this I'm thinking to myself, "I need to lose 20lbs".:confused:

I totaly blame the fast food industry...obesity wasn't so much of a problem in the Uk before we were swamped by that place with a big golden M!

Rue

I'm also in BD to get in shape and tone (not so much for cardio - I don't do it intensely enough at this point) and I'm impressed with how much it's helped given how much (or little) I actually do. I probably have the best abds I've ever had in my life! :D

As far as fast food goes...nothing all that much wrong with it. What's wrong is when people don't eat it occaisionally for a treat (say once a week) but instead choose to live off of it. No one ever makes anyone eat at fast-food places. If you eat there it's your choice...and nowadays almost all offer healty options too - so can still go with friends and eat without overdoing it.

I also don't like cooking. But I like to think we eat fairly healthy while at home - even if I make the min. effort at meal prep. We try to eat lots of veggies, fruits, leaner cuts of meat, etc. So there's really no excuse not to eat well even if you don't like spending time in the kitchen. My weight issues didn't stem from eating badly...rather from eating too much, or consuming overly large portions (I'm a comfort eater).

As far as body types go...I don't like either OW or UW bodies. Each of us has a fairly large range of normal weight that we look best at. I like to see a little bone showing in the right places (collarbones, ribs, hips) and muscle definition in arms, legs, tummy.

BD is no exception - the fitter dancers are aethetically the most pleasing.

Belly Love

As far as fast food goes...nothing all that much wrong with it. What's wrong is when people don't eat it occaisionally for a treat (say once a week) but instead choose to live off of it. No one ever makes anyone eat at fast-food places. If you eat there it's your choice...and nowadays almost all offer healty options too - so can still go with friends and eat without overdoing it.

While it's true that it's someone's choice to eat fast food, it's not as simple as that. Fast food is toxic and addictive. If it weren't, McDonald's wouldn't have thousands of restaurants all over the world and 1/3 of our country wouldn't be obese. Take for instance a kid who grows up on fast food. He can't really be blamed for eating it all his life when this is what he is taught. Sure, when he gets older he knows better, but he most likely already is overweight and has food issues, emotional issues and self-esteem issues (due to being overweight and unhealthy) which are going to be nearly IMPOSSIBLE to change after a whole lifetime of eating this way. We have generations of people doing this.

Fast food isn't 100% of the problem, but it's definitely part of it. If crappy fast food didn't exist, there would be way less overweight people in the world.

The toxins in processed fast food greatly effect one's emotional well-being. If someone is emotionally unstable, how much more difficult is it going to be for one to take the initiative to change a lifetime of eating habits? When it comes down to it, that's what over-eating is all about- emotions, and these are easier to give into in the moment, than to do "what's right" for the long run. The addictiveness of fast food fuels these emotions. It's a vicious cycle.

Sidenote: I'm not overweight, so I'm not making excuses, I'm just being real.

LunaXJJ

bellydancers shouldnt be skinny

That really grinds my gears. So many people act like the only reason people lose weight is because of pressure from society. This causes more and more people to not care about being overweight, they ignore the health side, and would rather just say "well I don't have to be want society considers attractive."

Its not about that. Its about your health. You don't have to be a size 2, but you don't have to endanger your health just to give society the finger. What's wrong with just being healthy, for you, no one else? I lost almost 40lbs. I didn't care what others thought then, or what they think now. I'm healthier, and happier, and that's what's important.

Side note, I saw an obese woman on a show once, and she said "skinny people have heart attacks all the time." I wanted to reach through the TV an slap her, lol. There's a lot more risks than that. Your risk for heart attack, and heart disease are higher than that of a healthy person, you're at higher risk of many cancers, joint problems, bone loss, water build up in the legs, and more. I saw a guy who was so heavy that water would leak from the skin on his legs because it had no where else to go. It literally made a hole in his leg that leaked out.

Good luck getting to your desired weight. Its a struggle, but its worth the effort. Congrats for making a healthy choice.

Sorry for typing so much, but I can really ramble about this topic lol.

Greek Bonfire

I've known very slender people who have extremely high cholesterol and have to watch their fat intake. You would think with their metabolism that they wouldn't have this problem. I used to jokingly tell my very slender friend that the problem was the fat stuck in her arteries while mine kept traveling to my butt!

BellaBohemian

Congrats! May your days be brighter!

I agree with everyone else. I too have put on some extra pounds in the past year (for me it was going back to school gave me less time to work out) and I was actually just sharing this exact converstaion with my boyfriend not 5 minutes before I saw this post! haha
If you're not happy and you want to be healthier then there should be nothing holding you back! I don't believe the idea that a bellydancer "shouldn't" be skinny, we just cant build up the rock hard stiff abs and such that are usually assocated with skinny bodies.
Cardio, endurance, resistance and even some yoga are great ways to help get into shape! Of course diet too. :cool:

You can do it! Everyone has their own persective on what people "ought to be". What is most important is that you are where YOU want to be. Keep Dancing!!