A Question about Navel Jewels

Remus

I want to have a belly button piercing. But I'm not sure. Do you think I should do it? Or instead, should I just put a large jewel glued into my navel ? I'm waiting for some advices, please

Darshiva

If you've always wanted to get a navel ring, do it. If you're thinking of doing it just for dance, fake it. It's not worth the pain involved for what would equate to a fad.

I have a mole where a navel ring would go or I'd have gotten one decades ago. What I do now is use clip-on earrings when I have the urge to bling up my belly. Sometimes I just glam up the mole (why not, it's nature's navel ring!).

I'd just go with what feels right for you & not worry about pandering to other people's preconceived notions of what does or doesn't make a bellydancer. (See how long is too long/how short is too short hair threads for further advice in this vein.)

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
I have friends and a sister who had them and they all have since removed them. Many had problems with them, their body rejected them, they got infected, or they got torn out. It seems to much of a pain both physically and mentally for me to ever think of getting one.

however if you are going to get one, do some good research on it first. Look at both the positive reasons and the negative reasons on why not to get one. Also research where to properly get one, how they should do it, and look for a clean place. Be very well informed on everything before you make you decision. It might seem like nothing, like piercing your ear but it is not. One of my friends ended up in the hospital with a nasty infection from her's that threatened her life.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

I've had one for a couple of years and love it. I've never had any problem with infection or anything. It also didn't really hurt. My second piercing in my ears hurt worse!

Jeanne

I've had mine for about six years and I love it. Yes, you should be careful about the risk of infection -- research some piercers and get pierced by a reputable one, and take scrupulous care of it during the healing period. Your piercer will probably give you care instructions, but instructions are also easily found online.

Although I didn't think it hurt that much to get it done (the scariness of the whole idea was much worse), it can be sore for a while afterward (I'm talking at least a couple of weeks), so just for the sake of comfort it's a good idea to try to wear loose clothing most of the time -- for that reason I advise people to get it done during the summer if possible.

As far as gluing in a jewel instead of getting pierced -- when I first started dancing in the "old school" days, so many the dancers I knew did that that it seemed like a standard part of our costuming. Now it seems very dated and I haven't seen a glued-in jewel for years. I think I remember hearing that the concept of the belly-button jewel originated with the harem-fantasy costumes of Hollywood because in more restrictive times it was considered indecent for the belly button to be showing, so I guess dancers stopped wanting to use this style as awareness of costume authenticity developed.

Not saying you shouldn't do it if you like it -- just be aware of that. It would actually be good if you like to go for vintage styles. And a user's tip: The best thing to use to glue a jewel into your navel is spirit gum. Don't use glues that are difficult to remove from your skin!

mahsati_janan

I think I remember hearing that the concept of the belly-button jewel originated with the harem-fantasy costumes of Hollywood because in more restrictive times it was considered indecent for the belly button to be showing

Right - the reason for the glued in belly jewels was the Hayes Code originally Hayes Code - Discussion and Encyclopedia Article. Who is Hayes Code? What is Hayes Code? Where is Hayes Code? Definition of Hayes Code. Meaning of Hayes Code.. They were already long out of style what I started dancing in the 90s and were never actually in style among performers outside of the US from what I have found documented (outside of movies), but they may have been at some time. Many dancers consider the jewel in the navel very dated/harem fantasy these days.

It does not mean that you can't wear one (glued) if that is your choice. You should just be aware that it might be considered a little unusual. This does not go for belly button piercings which are much more modern and are not looked at in the same way usually. Belly button piercings are usually seen as normal jewelry and don't trigger the same dated/harem fantasy idea for most people.

My only advice if you get a piercing and wear a dangling decoration in it would be to be very careful with your costuming choices. I saw a dancer get hers tangled in the beading on her belt and it was a painful thing.

Greek Bonfire

I've had one for a couple of years and love it. I've never had any problem with infection or anything. It also didn't really hurt. My second piercing in my ears hurt worse!

Mine too. My navel piercer gave me great instructions (use antibacterial soap to wash, not alcohol) and I came through with flying colors. However, I had to start wearing pants that came below the bellybutton but that was about the only change that I made.

I didn't get mine pierced for bellydancing - I just did it because I wanted to. In fact, when I perform, I usually wear a stud, no dangling, because it attracts more attention to my navel than my dancing, at least for my style of dance. I've seen other ATS and gothic dancers wear it during their performances, and to me personally it seems to fit better than vintage/classic/amcab (whatever it's called these days).

Shanazel

My poor daughter wanted a belly button piercing so much that she even agreed to attend one of my dance classes if I would sign the papers for the piercing. That's true desire! :lol:

She actually had it done once at thirteen and again at seventeen. Both times she has serious problems with the piercing and finally gave the idea up.

I had no problems with getting my ears pierced the first time (35 years ago!) but when I added a piercing to the lobe of one ear a little over a year ago, I thought it would never heal. I finally replaced the hypoallergenic stud that came with the piercing with the solid gold stud I had left over from thirty-five years ago and the piercing healed.

Greek Bonfire

Related question: How long did it take to heal?

Initially, six weeks, and it was hard to bend over to tie my shoes for about three weeks. But total about six months because it was still a tiny bit tender. I had to keep something in it for at least six months. For some reason it wanted to close up after a few hourse before then.

I thought for sure that I would have trouble because for my double pierced ears, I got infections. But the guy who pierced my navel told me that alcohol actually causes infections, which is why he said to use antibacterial soap (liquid). He was right because I had no trouble at all.

Belly Love

Are you talking about wearing the glued one for belly dance or all of the time?

Starting with the glued one is a great idea if you are unsure.

I personally don't like naval peircings outside of bd. I love them for belly dance and plan on wearing stick-on gems on/around my naval myself because it goes with the whole look, but other than that I think they're cheesey- especially if they are the infamous "fishing lures" (the ones that dangle). Usually when I see girls wearing these they are the "boobs pushed up, orange spray tan and racoon makeup" kind of girls. The ones who look desperate for attention. Obviously not all women who have naval peircings look like that, but it's just what it makes me think of personally 'cause I've seen it so many times.

They also leave permanent scars, just like holes on your ears. I have a friend who is a model and she took hers out a few years ago and whenever she does a swimwear/underwear shoot they have to retouch her belly button.

*I just realized I have raccoon makeup in my pic - ha ha! In my defense, I was just for playing around taking pics though, this is not what I wear day to day... and I'm not orange!

Last edited:

Belly Love

Uh oh, I kinda thought this might be the case- I was reading some other comments and apparently wearing jewels in or around the naval area for belly dance is considered tacky and hollywood/harem. Hmmm... I think I'm still going to do it anyway. Maybe as time goes on and my taste becomes more refined I will change my mind.

What do you ladies think? And, is it just considered tacky if it's a stuck on jewel, but not if it's the real thing? And does it make a difference if it's a design around the belly button vs a jewel in the belly button?

I'm very curious...

Greek Bonfire

I've heard a lot of people don't like belly jewels and navel piercings for bellydance, but then I've heard a lot of those who do. It is definitely a Hollywood thing but Hollywood made it tacky. And I think that as long as you wear them to compliment your costume as opposed to drawing all of the attention to your belly ring, it works okay. I know of a dancer who always wears dangling ones but on her it looks good. I don't like it on myself for performing, however. Just like wearing a bra that draws too much attention to the "girls" is tacky, it's all a matter of good taste.

Belly Love

Hmmm... good points. I'm not super informed when it comes to bd style yet and it helps to know what's considered appropriate and/or generally what's in good taste before I make a decision on what I wear. I want to at least know if something is innapropriate whether or not I decide to wear it vs. wearing it because I'm uneducated.

I also love tassels, but now that I have a better understanding of why they are not worn other than tribal, I won't be wearing them unless I'm doing tribal.

I think I'm going to go with the belly jewels (faux) but try to keep it simple.

LadyLoba

Navel jewels....I love them...but not on me. I used to want one, but my lower stomach is my least favorite part of body...I hate my upper arms, the area around my navel, and my upper thighs.

But if you have either a flat stomach or a nice, rounded curvy stomach, I think a tasteful, pretty one in a color that goes with your skin tone looks good.

I know what you mean Belly Love...lol....there are a lot of things I don't like just because I keep seeing them on people who look really bad.

And don't worry...your picture looks really good...your eyes look like smokey eyes not raccoon eyes. When I was reading your post...I was picturing Tara Reid.

Remus

I think I might get a navel piercing, afterall. Being gay, I would have to take it off when I'm at the beach or something. But in gay clubs, it's ok by me

LadyLoba

Good point...where you wear it would matter too. I've only been to a gay club once...on accident and for a second. I was at an event where most of the other attendees were gay women. There were 2 straight women....me and one other one...and 1 man I didnt talk to enough to know his orientation. But I decided since I "knew" the city I was going to "help" all the women who wanted to find a gay club for them to go out that night....and I did a great job...found them a gay club...a gay men's club. Most of them laughed at me...mostly because I was so sure I could be such a great help around the city. (I know...lucky they didn't trust me to find something more important than a hangout)

So...I didnt really see how people were dressed....but I can imagine that would be acceptable night club wear...but not acceptable in some other social settings.

I have passed up a couple clothing items for the same reason. There was a really beautiful sequined blazer at Victoria's Secret that I wanted....but I decided it would be a waste of money for me....it's really meant for going out to formal restaurants for dinner or going out to nightclubs for the evening....and I hang out at bookstores in the afternoon and eat meals out at "ethnic" restaurants...so I wouldn't wear the blazer.

Rassi

I've had my piercing for about 12 years and had mine done by someone who really knew what they were doing. I was given detailed instructions about care to avoid an infection and was told to not change the jewelry for a year. I followed that advice and never had a single problem. I think some people have issues because they change the jewelry too early before healing is complete or too often which irritates the delicate skin.