Amani-Lebanese Style!

Hi Everyone, Recently, we've discussed Turkish style and music, how about Lebanese style? Here are some clips of Amani, maybe the most recognizable Lebanese dance star of our time. Aside from her personal styling, what are the hallmarks of this Lebanese Oriental? Music style and choices. I found her movements to be frantic, but maybe Idon't know enough about the dance style to judge it objectively. Comments. Enjoy.

Yasmine

Moon

I like the first video better, though sometimes she shimmies at moments where I would not shimmy (but I didn't learn anything yet about Lebanese style, so)
I wonder if there are Lebanese dancers that don't wear those rediculously high heels? I find it so off-putting! Though I like it Amani here wears long skirts so I don't get distracted by her shoes all the time ;)

Suheir

Having taken workshops with both Amani and Suha Azar, I have to say that much of Amani's dance vocabulary is either jazz dance or movements of her own invention. I think the sole reason for the high heels is that she is tiny!

Gabi

I liked them both but I wonder if the video quality sometimes doesn't make little distortions in terms of the music not being quite on - better than the dancer not being quite on :lol: .

I love Lebanese style for it's bigger movements but I have to admit I don't think I'll ever get over those blasted high heels.

Hi Gabi, her moves are bigger, but then again the music has a larger than life momentum too. I guess in my quest to understand different dance styles and culturally what makes them different.
Yasmine

Kharmine

She's got a really nice rapport with the music.

The skirt in the second video puzzled me -- it's practically a hobble skirt, nipped in around the knees and then flaring out. Like a '50s ball gown. That and the high heels tend to give her kind of a mincing movement.

I've noticed before that when belly dancers wear high heels, it changes the center of gravity. The torso has more "lift," if that makes sense.

It reminds me somewhat of ballet, because the dancer brings the weight up off the hips and centers it between the shoulder blades.