Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darshiva View Post
    I love that skirt. So pretty & yet so affordable!
    I'm very tempted to buy a couple at that price
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

You're teacher sounds like an ass.
    She wants to be the star of the show and make money from her students without doing much work at all.
    If she is the only beginner's teacher in your area, I guess you could stick it out until you get to the next level and better teacher, but you are getting a very negative experience out of this, which can't be helping you learn.
    Good luck to you and the rest of your classmates, and I hope you get a new teacher before you give up on the dance altogether!

Post Thanks / Like

Get a new teacher. That's it. From what you described, there are a thousand things wrong with this teacher before you even got to the price of the costumes she wants you to buy. Do you REALLY think it's a good idea to try to appease her--make a similar costume, buy a similar but cheaper costume, etc, and then go through the same thing all over again?

Sign up for online classes (a lot of belly dancers are offering them now), get some DVDs, and practice on your own until you find a suitable class. Check out the other teacher and ask her what you need to work on to be able to get into her class. Maybe she--or another teacher in your area--has a beginner's class waiting to get started once enough interested people sign up. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yame View Post
    Get a new teacher. That's it. From what you described, there are a thousand things wrong with this teacher before you even got to the price of the costumes she wants you to buy. Do you REALLY think it's a good idea to try to appease her--make a similar costume, buy a similar but cheaper costume, etc, and then go through the same thing all over again?

Sign up for online classes (a lot of belly dancers are offering them now), get some DVDs, and practice on your own until you find a suitable class. Check out the other teacher and ask her what you need to work on to be able to get into her class. Maybe she--or another teacher in your area--has a beginner's class waiting to get started once enough interested people sign up. It doesn't hurt to ask.
    I agree totally. I wouldn't stand a teacher like that! I would deffinatly quit learn on my own until a new better teacher is found. It isn't the best to learn your own as a beginner, but its even worse having a teacher like that or not doing it at all =] Goodluck!!

Post Thanks / Like

1. That does not sound like a professional teacher at all.

2. It sounds like the teacher does not really know bellydance or the style she is supposed to be teaching. I'm not suprised anymore how many "Teachers" are out there who have only taken a few classes themselves and danced for a year or even less. Or have learned though youtube and now teach. *shutters*

3. Definatly get a new teacher.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. Beginning dancer. Knows nothing.
    2. Intermediate dancer. Knows everything. Too good to dance with beginners.
    3. Hotshot dancer. Too good to dance with anyone.
    4. Advanced dancer. Dances everything. Especially with beginners
    ~ Attributed to Dick Crum, a folk dance teacher ~

Post Thanks / Like

Ugh! I had a teacher like that and all of her students quit on her except maybe one or two. She vowed to be a better teacher but the same stuff happened again. I would quit this one for sure. Hopefully, another beginner teacher will show up in your area but in the meantime try to learn something from DVDs. But I wouldn't give this diva one more cent or one more minute of anything. What a nightmare!

Post Thanks / Like

I would talk to the other teacher about some private lessons, you will learn faster and a style more appealing to you.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll talk to the other teachers at our group rehersal in a few weeks (ugh, we get one practice before we perform on stage for hundreds of people).
    I might get some bellydance DVDs too so I can actually get better. I love those bellydance costumes, by the way, and they're so cheap! I'll attach a photo of what we have ordered from China (if it works, i cant figure out how to work this). I think the main problem with my teacher is she is very much a business person and just wants to promote her business by making us wear fancy costumes and just be her back up dancers while she shakes her booty on the stage.

Post Thanks / Like

Business person, ha. I suppose that's a politer term than any I can come up with, though not nearly as accurate.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Animallover View Post
    I'll talk to the other teachers at our group rehersal in a few weeks (ugh, we get one practice before we perform on stage for hundreds of people).
    I might get some bellydance DVDs too so I can actually get better. I love those bellydance costumes, by the way, and they're so cheap! I'll attach a photo of what we have ordered from China (if it works, i cant figure out how to work this). I think the main problem with my teacher is she is very much a business person and just wants to promote her business by making us wear fancy costumes and just be her back up dancers while she shakes her booty on the stage.

In your original post I read the word's - China,costume,$1000 and my alarm bell rang! Wow, not sure exactly what your $ is in english pounds, but I can't imagine 2 costumes from China would ever cost $1000. If it's the one in your photo - no way! And now you mention she's a business woman, to me it seem's apparent she's trying to make money out of you all. Didn't it cross her mind that you or others may see these cotumes on websites like ebay and discover the true cost?! I agree with others - save your money and invest in another teacher, this one dosen't sound like a very nice lady, to me it seems she's driven by money and ego. good luck with your new teacher!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast