Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daimona View Post
    I'm sure the teacher has another view of of the concerns presented in the OP, but as long as she isn't here to defend herself we will not know her point of views and intentions of having her students buy a couple of new costumes (whatever price) for the performance.
    True - I would really love to hear how she would defend all of this, especially the outrageous prices for new students. I've been around and with a lot of teachers and have never come across one yet who insisted a student spend that exhorbitant amount of money for beginner performances.
    Last edited by Daimona; 12-23-2010 at 09:48 PM. Reason: fixing quote code

Post Thanks / Like

This is a con artist and not a teacher. There is a good teacher out there waiting for you to be her student- don't give up!

Post Thanks / Like

Don't be discouraged though...if there are belly dance teachers where you live, you WILL find a decent teacher. I signed up for two different rip off dance classes, once when I was a teenager and once as an adult.

They were sold to me as ballet classes. When I was a teenager, I arrived to the class to find it was not ballet, but just a pre-teen/early teen popular dances type class...we learned to do a couple little dances to Janet Jackson and that type of music to show our parents...cute...but not ballet by any stretch of the imagination.

The second one...a different teacher...was nothing more than a women's aerobics class with a dance warmup.

Both of these teachers got away with it in that THEY had studied ballet and showed us a few warmup moves from their ballet classes...so they felt justified is slapping the word "ballet" on to their classes. But they were both rip offs.

However, if I had remained interested in ballet...I know that I would have eventually found a real professional studio with a real ballet class....and you will do the same with belly dance.

Post Thanks / Like

Wait...did you say you live in New Zealand, Animallover? I thought at first that you lived in Australia. How far are you from Christchurch? Will you be moving close to that area? We have a forum member who lives in Christchurch that might be able to help you.

Is Kashmir from Australia or New Zealand? I think I'm suffering from another one of those senior moments!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Farasha Hanem View Post
    Wait...did you say you live in New Zealand, Animallover? I thought at first that you lived in Australia. How far are you from Christchurch? Will you be moving close to that area? We have a forum member who lives in Christchurch that might be able to help you.

Is Kashmir from Australia or New Zealand? I think I'm suffering from another one of those senior moments!
    Kashmir is a Kiwi I don't think I have read exactly where Animallover lives in NZ - but from what I have gathered it is a small town at the moment, maybe semi-rural but she is moving in a couple of months to attend University, which will be a larger place probably a city and she will be looking for a new teacher then.
    ~Mosaic
    ~
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

I hope she finds a good one soon!

Post Thanks / Like

I almost bought that top for cheap I have a site i go to only problem is no size for a 36D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mosaic View Post
    I don't know whereabouts you live in NZ, but maybe contact Kashmir who is a member here she may have some contacts around your area, and be able to advise you. Kashmir has a website with lots of info, that may help as well. Raqs - Middle Eastern Dance - with Kashmir
    I'm in Christchurch - if you are in town - feel free to contact me. I also ran the New Zealand Teachers' Register & Newsletter for MEDANZ for many years - so may be able to give you off the record advice on alternative teachers. These days I am managing Attar's Teachers List - New Zealand Belly Dance which not only lists teachers but in many cases gives an indication of their style, focus, influences and training.

By the by, my own students either make their own costumes (for way under NZD100) or buy them from eBay for under a couple of hundred. My own pro costumes didn't cost NZD1000!!! Including an Eman Zaki which was hand designed and made for me!

Post Thanks / Like

Eww, what kind of teacher would demand a beginner dancer to pay that much for a costume? I can see a teacher making a few dollars off of sales from practice scarves or whatever that she keeps in stock for students if they need to buy something, but this is totally innapropriate. I personally think you should do the following:

1. Quit the class asap. Yeah, you've been practicing a dance, but in the long run, you will be happier that you didn't invest anymore time/money into this greedy "teacher".

2. Practice and learn on your own until you work your way up to intermediate- maybe you can even find a buddy from an intermediate class that is willing to help you.

3. Print up this thread with all of the comments and mail it to your teacher (hopefully ex-teacher.) She needs to be aware that others are aware of what she is doing and it's not okay. She should be thankful that you didn't post her name and info on here.

Stand up for yourself- don't be scared! No one has the right to take advantage of you.

Post Thanks / Like

I left one class just before shelling out for the costumes. If you haven't yet paid out - now is the time to jump ship

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast