Belly Dance Magazine.

Imeera

Looking for a good belly dance magazine (hopefully hard copy and not online) for the UK. I have looked in all the usual places here (WH Smiths ect) but no luck. Looking for a general one not really style specific for regional events (as I have not seen any belly dance live and would love to!), general articals ect but not classes as much. Though any recommendations are greatly appreciated =D
Thank you all!!
Imeera

P.S I hope this in the right forum!

Last edited:

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
There is another one that will ship to the UK. It is not expensive either. I got my first issue today and I love it. There is quality to the articles and the printed magazine itself surprisingly for the price. The articles range for all the styles and have various kinds of other interesting articles.

https://www.shimmyspiritofdance.com/index.php

seona

Hi Imeera, you may find Gilded Serpent website interesting. It's like a magazine but on-line. It has some great articles and reviews. Sadly not a magazine but quite close!

Eshta

I think with the UK being as fragmented as it is, there isn't really one definitive source that will be a reliable list of local/regional events. The different magazines attract different groups, many groups don't bother with any of the magazines at all (and so many events would be missing), and each appears to have its own regional leaning.

I'm definitely no expert of what's going on, but the best way I've managed is a combination of signing up to newsletters from people I'm interested in hearing what they're up to, facebook, and from actually going to events where people leave flyers. London has a great "belly dance meetup" group that details events as well. Having read that back, it sounds a lot more daunting than it really is, as usually there are a handful of key players.

*Sigh* I dream of a day when we have such a definitive resource, but think that day is a veeery long way away!

Amulya

Is there an Australian magazine? I remember years ago there was one, but it costed $25 or more for one issue!

Darshiva

Was it Bellydance Oasis? If so it still exists and I stopped my subscription about a year ago when they started slagging off on dancers in the editorial without good reason. Also, the writing has gone downhill overall. There are a few gems in there, but for me it wasn't worth the subscription fee.

Darshiva

I'll bring down to the performance night a copy of the most recent one I have if you like, that way you can decide for yourself.

Darshiva

Amulya, an update. I resubbed to BDO because this ish is about the Egypt riots (and has a huge interview with Amera) and there is a possibility that the function I performed at last month (the ESMA fundraiser) will be in the next ish, so I figured it was worth resubbing for a year & seeing if it's improved. So far it's better than it was. The writing is about average but the subjects are more researched. It's worth buying the current ish just for the Egyptian riots article, so if you're looking for a reason to get one just to have a look & see if it's worth subbing, then this is the one to get.