Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default If you have a teacher you trust and you

cannot afford regular private lessons you can mix both ways of study:

Undertake a personal study-at-home-alone programme and have a private lesson once per month to see your progress with a teacher and improve details you cannot "see" by studying alone.

That way you can also give your teacher the information she needs to adjust advice for home study for your case. I think that once you can have a teacher nearby to coach you, you should not miss this chance!

Welcome back to the oriental dance planet!

Post Thanks / Like

True, I'll have to look into that once I can do more then the basics again.

Thanks, it's good to be back!

Quote Originally Posted by jenc View Post
    Absolutely. I also find it useful to drill aLternates or other short combos that exercise the brain as well as muscle eg chest circle, omi, or chest figure 8 and vertical figure 8. Even better if you can work out a short combo that changes direction as well. Exercises the brain and practises clean transitions as well as just repetitions.
    That makes sense, turning drills into usable combos. Nothing wrong with my brain either so maybe it will help keep it interesting. Thanks for the idea!

Post Thanks / Like

I just thought I would update what has happened in case anyone else with a similar problem checks this out. My attempts at getting back into practice weren't to successful because it turned out I also had a systemic yeast infection. It's been treated now though and I'm back to work.

My physician has given me instructions to work into it slowly starting with 20-30 minutes for the first week and then 30-40 the week after that. I think he wouldn't mind if I took it slower then that but there is a workshop in 2 1/2 weeks I want to attend and he doesn't want it to kill me. He also gave me strict instructions to practice every other day because of the fibromyalgia. He said because of that condition it was important not to over do it and give my body a chance to rest while I was building the muscles back up or the fibromyalgia would fight back. He also gave me some strengthening exercises for my shoulder muscles so that I won't be in so much pain when I dance.

Have I mentioned I love my doctor?

So yes, if you have fibromyalgia talk to your Dr. about exercise. I feel much more confident in being able to do this now and I won't feel guilty when I skip a day.

Post Thanks / Like

Hang in there, Ariadne!
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, I will.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walladah View Post
    cannot afford regular private lessons you can mix both ways of study:

Undertake a personal study-at-home-alone programme and have a private lesson once per month to see your progress with a teacher and improve details you cannot "see" by studying alone.

That way you can also give your teacher the information she needs to adjust advice for home study for your case. I think that once you can have a teacher nearby to coach you, you should not miss this chance!

Welcome back to the oriental dance planet!
    I am doing this these days and it is AWESOME. I can't believe what a difference it makes. If nothing else I don't feel lost in my at-home practice anymore. If I could afford every-other-week or even weekly I'd be tickled pink but I am also really pleasantly surprised how much seeing somebody for a private lesson once a month is really helping. Sometimes I bring along a friend or two for a semi-private lesson, we are all of a similar skill level (though with different strengths and weaknesses) and it is a very effective cost-savings tactic. We talk about what we'd like to focus on in adavance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12