Honestly, I don't know what language this is...

oreolover72

Artist: Opium Head Album: Solace Song: Bounce

I am taking belly dancing (ATS) lessons and my instructor played a song and I couldn't help but do my own thing when I heard it. It starts off with simple hand clapping and about 30 seconds into it, a WICKED baseline comes in that moves you. :dance:

The name of the band is Opium Head, the album name is Solace and the track is called "Bounce"

Here's a link to the song... check out the first 45 seconds of the song:
Bounce | Solace Song - Yahoo! Music
If you can't click on the link here's the addy, just type in "http:" before pasting it in:
//new.music.yahoo.com/solace/tracks/bounce--217710348

Soooo, what exactly are they saying in this song? I don't need a word for word translation, but would like to know the basics of what they're singing about.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to look at this and/or try to help me.

Darshiva

The album is actually Opium Head, and the band is Solace.

Some lovely ladies performing to it on youtube.

Greek Bonfire

Hmmm, the only "Bounce" I know is by Tarkan, and it's in Turkish. I will have to check out Opium Head as I love Solace.

PracticalDancer

I think, emphasis on think -- not know, that it is one of the languages of India. I base this on some of the rhythms used on the CD, the reference to "Ragas" on the remix, and some of the musical influences.

I may be entirely wrong, since what I do not know about India would fill volumes (although my beloved co-workers are trying to teach me). Since I won't be back at work until next week, let me ask our dear moderator Dev to chime in . . .

Regards,

Anala

oreolover72

@ Darshiva & Green Bonfire...
Thanks for clearing that up. I got mixed up when trying to remember what was the album name and who the artist was... but I couldn't forget the title "Bounce" (LOL)

@Anala...
I, too, work with a number of people from India but I don't know them very well. I wanted to at least try to get an idea of what language this was before I go to them and ask what the singers are saying, and then I am embarrassed because it's Bulgarian or Turkish, or something else.

Also, since they work on a different team than I do (I'm a programmer,) I don't really know much about their beliefs or what religion they are. I know that this is where things can get really touchy... and I'm really afraid of offending or insulting them. I know folks on both ends of the scale and some in the middle....I have friends from Pakistan who do not drink, they eat meat--with the exception of pork, they refuse any type of dancing or music and are greatly offended if you do any of the following: eat pork around or near them, sing or dance, etc.; and then I have others friends who eat meat excluding pork, will drink, sing, and dance, and they are not offended if someone else eats pork while they are near, and then have friends in which nothing offends them. It's kind of hard to keep it all straight, so if I am at their house, I let them do everything.

When I get back to work next week, I'll try and ask one of my co-workers to listen to it. I'll try to be very careful when I approach the situation.

Thank you everyone for replying... I've been asking the same questions on multiple sites and you three are the first ones to ever respond!! :D

PracticalDancer

(by the way, welcome to the forum!)

You know, I took an Indian cultural awareness class offered at work, since we have such strong global ties to India in my business. I learned two powerful things: first, there are many cultures within India, as it is such a large country; second, many people, not just those from India, will happily tell you about "home" as long as you ask from a place of genuine curiosity and kindness.

That said, I poked around Solace's site and found an email address for their record label. So, I sent them the question. ;) Let's give them a few days, given the holiday, to respond.

Happy New Year,

Anala

Aniseteph

I think, emphasis on think -- not know, that it is one of the languages of India...

I'd guess that too, the whole style of it just sounds Indian to me (sweeping generalisation I know :rolleyes:) - not anything further West. But then again with fusion who knows what's in it! I'm intrigued now...

PracticalDancer

According to the artist (who responded the SAME DAY and on NEW YEAR'S EVE!!!), "a punjabi friend of mine stated its a chant about celebration, possibly for a harevst or wedding."

I love artists who respond to fans! <3 <3 <3

:D

Happy New year!

Shara

Wow!!!!! I listened to the song in the link and it went on playing other songs..... I listened to Opium Head and I swear I hear Depeche Mode samples running behind the main music!!!! Anyone else here a Depeche Mode fan? Do you hear it, too?

Dev

Hello Everybody

I have tried several times to hear all the words but I could not figure out the actual words of the song. But I can tell you the region the song comes from, Its either Punjabi folklore or a sufi song. There are several states in India (the Hindi belt ) who speak a similar language (not the same) and sometimes its hard for a non Hindi speaking person like me to pin point the actual language. But definitely this is from Northern India.

Regards to you all.

Dev

Dear Anala I just read your post. Yes your friend is correct and my apology for taking so long to reply.

Last edited:

oreolover72

Hi everyone!

Wow! You guys are WONDERFUL!!!!! :clap:

I finally got up the nerve to ask one of my co-workers to listen to the song. He speaks 8 languages and immediately identified it as a Punjabi language. He has a friend that he is going to send the songs to for a more "accurate" translation. He basically said the same thing everyone else has said... it's a song about celebration.

Once I get the final translation, I'll post it on here for everyone to see (in case you're interested.)

I also gave him two other songs to translate for me:
(1) Punjabi MC - Snake Charmer (Dance Mix)
(2) Solace - Forfeit

He told me if I need any song translated just to let him know and he'll be happy to do it.

Again, thank you everyone for joining in on this thread. You all have just made my week!!!

Shara

Sometimes people are much nicer than you expect! You have to try to see! They will also usually open up to you faster when you show an interest in something that they have an interest in.:D

PracticalDancer

Oreolover, when I asked my Punjabi co-worker about this, he recognized the song right away. He said that it was a "copy" (which after conversation, I came to understand as "alternate version," "cover version," etc.) of another song. Apparently, the songs appear in both Punjabi and Hindi languages. He gave me this link to the song in the first form he heard it (YouTube - Ni Main Yaar Manana Ni - Daag) but the comments there indicate that it was also sung by Noor Jehan. I have not found that version yet. He also confirmed that it is a happy song, one suitable for dancing to. And, there is a partial translation in the you tube comments.

Bonus points if you can manage those Bhangara kicks in your dance -- my knees can't. ;)

Regards,

Anala

tpereir

Hey guys....i dunno if this helps but here is the original version of it: YouTube - Shamur - Let The Music Play (Original Vocal Mix)

so the post above by me was another remix .....but here's the actual song:
YouTube - ROG - SUFANI Song

I think what they're chanting is a sufi verse.....and the song is from an Indian movie called 'Rog'

I know this reply is very late...but better late than never right;) ?

by this poet named Bulleh Shah....he was a sufi poet who lived in the 1700s...here's more about him.

Bulleh Shah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by a moderator:

dheeraj

@ Darshiva & Green Bonfire...
Thanks for clearing that up. I got mixed up when trying to remember what was the album name and who the artist was... but I couldn't forget the title "Bounce" (LOL)

@Anala...
I, too, work with a number of people from India but I don't know them very well. I wanted to at least try to get an idea of what language this was before I go to them and ask what the singers are saying, and then I am embarrassed because it's Bulgarian or Turkish, or something else.

Also, since they work on a different team than I do (I'm a programmer,) I don't really know much about their beliefs or what religion they are. I know that this is where things can get really touchy... and I'm really afraid of offending or insulting them. I know folks on both ends of the scale and some in the middle....I have friends from Pakistan who do not drink, they eat meat--with the exception of pork, they refuse any type of dancing or music and are greatly offended if you do any of the following: eat pork around or near them, sing or dance, etc.; and then I have others friends who eat meat excluding pork, will drink, sing, and dance, and they are not offended if someone else eats pork while they are near, and then have friends in which nothing offends them. It's kind of hard to keep it all straight, so if I am at their house, I let them do everything.

When I get back to work next week, I'll try and ask one of my co-workers to listen to it. I'll try to be very careful when I approach the situation.

Thank you everyone for replying... I've been asking the same questions on multiple sites and you three are the first ones to ever respond!! :D

hey hiiiiiiii actually this is an indian song.. Punjabi is the language. and the meaning of this song is not that complicated its jst that a person is saying dont show attitude you rich person it will not expand untill u dont have anyone in ur lyf