Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mia Serra - anyone taken classes or seen show?

It occurs to me that I have never met anyone in person or on forums who has taken classes with Mia Serra. Is there anyone out there

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry - I've never heard of her. Where is she located?

Post Thanks / Like

`She is a london teacher who says she was taught by a Sufi master - and claims a revolutinary speedy method of teaching based on the secrets of the sufi - so much so that she will accept you on her certified teacher training after about 18 months of her classes.

Post Thanks / Like

Certified teacher training after eighteen months of her speedy classes?

Ummm... She's pretty and appears to be a very successful business woman.

Mia Serra Belly Dance
    Last edited by Shanazel; 01-06-2011 at 12:11 AM. Reason: add link
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Last I checked Sufi Masters taught meditation and religion rather than the normal type of belly dance.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I know quite a few dancers that started off with Mia. Not me personally, although I was contemplating it at one point. Having to pay for a whole course up front without being able to watch a class to see level etc put me off, and I went a different route in the end.

I haven't gone to her shows. I personally don't feel comfortable with belly dance being presented at madame jojos, one of London's most notorious burlesque/ "kitsch cabaret" nightclubs.

Was there anything in particular you wanted to know Jen?

Post Thanks / Like

Having to pay for a whole course up front without being able to watch a class to see level
    Well, there's a red flag if I ever saw one. Where I teach there is occasionally an entire afternoon devoted to having the public come in and take a short dance lesson in any genre that interests them. I wonder if the school offers refunds if classes don't meet expectations.

Maybe Mia will turn up at OD and explain things to Jen herself. Hope so. I'm always interested in hearing how people run their dance-related businesses.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

I just wondered as a follow on from the other thread asking what her levels were like. She is one of several who are very good business women and manage to fill classes that are more expensive when more authentic dancers are struggling.

I went to one locally, it was £8 per hour for a beginners class (including gym supplement) and it was very slick and speedy, with a kind of workout feel.

I was looking for more exercise combined with more practice and would have attended if it had not been that price for that level. We attended penultimate class of 12 and picked up their dance routine straight off. (it was last year) I would pay £8 an hour to advance my dance, but for a workout I[d rather go to Zumba for £4.

Of course I don't know if the Mia Serra classese are like that but with emphasis on speed I would expect they are - that's why I was asking.

By the way this local lady also puts on a show for which the tickets, as advertised to her class are £15.50, £7.50 for children.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jenc View Post
    By the way this local lady also puts on a show for which the tickets, as advertised to her class are £15.50, £7.50 for children.
    Is that for a professional level show? Because I know if our end of year one cost that much I would be really uncomfortable about dragging friends and family along.

I don't know anything about Mia Serra's classes or teaching methods, but it's an interesting point about what attracts students and keeps them coming. I suspect the number of students who get seriously interested in the culture, authenticity (whatever that may be ), music etc is always quite small and not enough to keep classes running, People will also be coming for fun/exercise, glitter 'n' sequins (and/or looking hawt therein ), whatever social scene is associated with a class/school, professional ambitions and opportunities to perform, etc etc.

And plain convenience... the potential catchment area London has to be huge - easy transport links and all those people who commute and can stay a couple of hours for a dance class.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by teela View Post
    Last I checked Sufi Masters taught meditation and religion rather than the normal type of belly dance.

Teela, you read my mind!

I'm sure when I first started dancing someone lent me a instructional dvd of Mia Serra - her name ring's a bell.

Jenc, interesting point about business, remind's me of the Dolphina conversation on another thread. Yes, maybe that's why authentic dance teacher's struggle to fill classes. In order to make a career some (I'm not suggesting Mia) feel they have to 'sell out' if you like, and appeal to the mainstream. ....May just ponder over to the mainstream belly dance thread lol.

I too wouldn't pay upfront for a whole course without knowing what the course was about. One lesson, yes - but not for a term/course.
    Last edited by seona; 01-06-2011 at 02:05 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast