Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Another question popped up in my mind this evening, I was thinking, how do you go about accepting tips in this kind of venue? I've seen numerous dancers accept tips in their bra (really IN their bra) or the front of their belt, now I wouldn't even want to even go there.. How do you do this then if not wanting to come across as tacky/vulgar?

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, that always looked a tad too much like a free grope for my comfort! Is that sort of thing customary in this restaurant?

If so, maybe you could substitute for that by placing a fancy little hat or a tambourine or some such out on the floor for anyone who wanted to toss in some bills. If you taped a dollar inside it would give the customers the idea about where the tips ought to go in your case.

Post Thanks / Like

dancing to live music is SO much fun!!!! It really can raise the energy level of your performance. the easiest way to practice (unless of course you have a live band in your living room!) is to play on all the OTHER songs on the CD (NOT the one or 2 good ones you got the cd for!) & just dance (as much as you can daily) to music you have never or rarely listened to.... It is SO true that bands rarely play the same song the same way twice... so it is good to have no expectations! if there is a singer, do not forget NOT to play your zils while s/he is singing... & HAVE fun!
    as far as tips... it REALLY helps to post someone in the audience.... either to start the tipping if you decide to take body tips... (I NEVER take tips in my bra, or the front of the belt... & my belt is on soooo tight anyhow, that usually the customer will end up handing me the tip!) or if your friend can "notice" the basket, make a show of putting money in it, then pass it.... but check on the protocol in your area regarding sharing tips w/ the musicians,,,, usually with body tipping it is YOUR money....I used to be really shy about accepting or "going out" for tips... I still am rather aloof about the whole matter, but at one of the restaurants where I dance, one of the waitresses always makes a show of starting the tipping, & hey costumes are expensive so it is fun to go home with an extra $30-$60 (sometimes more!) for the evening .

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, all the good advice is given already I would have also suggested rehearsing improvisig to different kind of music, so that you would know how to be prepared for changes in music. Meet up with the band, if possible and listen to them play, talk to them, ask how should the set be built up etc. And don't be nervous, just be alert, but smiling at the same time. Have eye contact with the band leader and I am sure you will find a common language.

I have had the chance to perform to perform to live music a few times. But mostly they have been group improvisations to tabla, so we could get the audience to dance with us. There is one specific situation though, where we had to do a pre-set choreography as a group to live music. And we didn't meet the band before the day of the performance. We had rehearsed to a CD that was, of course different than the band playing in real life at the last rehearsal. And of course, they also sounded different during the show, because even though they tried to restrain themselves, they still improvised a bit That was one valuable lesson again

Unfortunately I can not give you much advice on tipping because Northerners are not good at tipping for anything, really. But I also don't like tips inside the costume. Kharmine's and belly_dancer's advice sounds good though!

Ah, good luck and let us know how the preparations are going!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks girls! You're a great help. I had a good talk with my teacher today about all this, she absolutely reassured me and I'm very much less nervous than I was. I'm nervous in a good way now and very excited to go there.

Kharmine, thanks for your advice. I've heard it is customary in this restaurant to tip in the costume, but I will not let them go too far (I haven't heard of any sleazyness of unnecessary groping/touching in this place, it sounds allright as far as body tipping is allright ).
    For tips, I'll see whether this hat/tambourine thing is possible and whether it will work out (the restaurant is rather small), if not, I was thinking the side of the belt or maybe brastraps (way up high lol), could do. I will watch carefully not to have anyone cross my line and not at all go the tacky way. Might be making slight little suggestions of 'where' to tip.

Belly_dancer, thanks!! You make it sound so exciting! I am really wanting to perform now. I have been listening to Turkish music for the past 2 days already and improvising.
    I will bring someone along so I might think about the someone starting the tipping thing. This might also give a signal I'm not about to have anyone just tipping wherever they like.
    Oh and I will not play zills during the singing part if there's a singer, but I doubt there's going to be one. I am also thinking of doing some 9/8 .

Maariku, thanks for your post anyway! I will be meeting the musicians before the show so I guess I'll be fine. I'm much more relieved now I've also discussed everything with my teacher, she's really set my mind at ease.
    I'll keep y'all posted !

Thanks babes! I'm off to have dinner and go rehearse some more. Thanks everyone for your great advice!
    Last edited by Yshka; 12-19-2006 at 05:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

yeah, with the tipping thing.... it really pretty easy to control with your attitude... if someone goes for the bra, just step back, SMILE (you don't want them to feel TOO bad, unless of course they are drunk & disorderly!), shake your finger like you are scolding a child... & point to the side of your hip belt. some people do not know any better, & need to be educated... ! good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Belly_dancer, lol . I think I should be fine.

Post Thanks / Like

So it's only a day away now, only a night as a matter of fact, and I'm starting to get a little bit excited lol. I'm still nervous but I think it should be ok. I have my cossies sorted out for tomorrow night, I know my music, and I think once I get there I should be allright.

I had numerous people give me all sorts of peptalks and your tips will help a great deal! Thanks again everyone.

Now I just hope I dance well..

Post Thanks / Like

You'll go out there a novice and you'll come back a star, kid.

Have fun, and whatever you do, act like you meant to do that!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Kharmine !!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast