Performing with live music!

Yshka

Hi everyone,

I will be performing with live music for the first time in two weeks and I'm nervous nervous nervous:lol: . It will be at a restaurant with a Turkish band. I have performed before, just never with a 'real' live band.

I don't know whether this has been asked before but anyway, are there any important things I should know about performing with a band? Anything I should be aware of or pay attention to?

Can anyone offer any advice for this kind of thing? It would be most welcome:D

Thanks all!!

P.S. I have read the 'boring music" thread a bit and I see that interaction with the musicians is very important, but how does this happen? How will I know how to 'interact'? (jeez, did I mention I'm nervous? ;) )

Last edited:

da Sage

Hi Yska,

That's very exciting! I'm sure you'll do a great job. Don't forget to have a good time, too.:dance:

I've never performed with a live band, but I think you should chat with them before the show, if you can. Maybe they can play some of their song choices, and give you an idea of how the finales sound? It is also a good idea to find out who is the band leader...who cues the music changes and the ending. That's who you direct any emergency mid-dance non-verbal cues to.

Kharmine

Is there some place you can go to hear the band? Do they have a CD or a tape recording?

Musicians of Middle Eastern, Turkish, Greek and Armenian heritage tend not to play the same song exactly the same way twice. (Actually this is true with folk musicians of many other countries.) So it would be a good idea to find out if they will, so you know what to expect and vice versa.

chryssanthi sahar

Dear Yshka.

If the band is Turkish, you will not have much choice of music anyway:lol: I've worked with many Turkish bands in Germany and I can tell you that all of them played "Aziza" (in a very unorthodox version) and then some Turkish music, either folklore stuff (including 9/8) or modern Turkish stuff. Of course I don't know how good this band , which will play for you, is. But don't worry. Let yourself go, don't think about choreography and such stuff, because it is almost impossible to dance choreography when performing with a Turkish live band. Just dance like you feel and if you can play zills, do it. Turkish people love to hear zills. If you cannot, it is not that bad, just dance and pull also the audience to dance with you in between (especially if the audience is Turkish). For Turkish people belly dance is just fun and entertainment. They cannot judge if a dancer is a good artist or not, they judge if she is a good entertainer or not;)
Good luck and happy dancing:dance:

steffib

Know the most common Turkish repertoire, so that you can ask for songs. And, even if the names don't work smoothly because your ethnic musicians may know what is commonly called Fire Dance as Ates Dansi, Hicazkar Oyun Havasi (Dance song in Maqam Hicazkar) or "that song in D Hijazkar", you'll be prepared to dance to the music.

Fire Lily

Performing with live music

I've never danced to a live band before either. Or at least not been paid for it. But I think in theory, the band will give you cues telling you how big or small the movements need to be. I'm beginning to wish i'd payed more attention in algebra at school, cause my teacher keeps saying something along the lines of E = size in movement, or something like that. Possibly something to do with Keti Sharief, i'm not too sure.
Anyway my point is. The bigger the sound, the bigger the move and vice versa.
A ney could symbolize a shimmy or a shoulder shimmy, a tummy flutter (If you can do them) The biger the orchestra the more you can move around the stage.
I've been sitting in my room the last few weeks, relearning all my music, and actually really listening to the cues. That in turn should help with choriography and free-styleing.

Anyway. That's what i've been taught.
Good luck with the performance.:dance:

Namaste

Fire Lily

steffib

IA ney could symbolize a shimmy or a shoulder shimmy, a tummy flutter (If you can do them)

Hm, I wouldn't expect a ney in a Turkish band - more common instruments seem to include clarinet (yeay!), oud, saz and maybe a cumbus or a kanoun (plus percussion, of course).

chryssanthi sahar

Anyway my point is. The bigger the sound, the bigger the move and vice versa.
A ney could symbolize a shimmy or a shoulder shimmy, a tummy flutter (If you can do them) The biger the orchestra the more you can move around the stage.
...Anyway. That's what i've been taught.
Good luck with the performance.:dance:

Namaste

Fire Lily

Dear Fire Lily.

Sorry, but it is not that easy... Of course it depends what style you are dancing, but if you are supposed to dance Arabian style, then there are rules for what movements fit to what instrument. In the case of nay, shoulder and other shimmies are NO NO (except if the nay starts producing a trembling sound). The nay has a wavy sound, so you should do wavy movements on it. This means, body wave, different eight figures, hip circles and hip rotations etc. I've learned these things from my Arabian musicians with who I've been working for more than 18 years now.
As about the case of Yshka: I agree with steffib, that most probably there is not going to be any nay, since the band is Turkish. Turks usually play clarinet instead of nay.

Fire Lily

Thanks!

No, that's cool. Always apriciate feedback. Especially when you've been taught something then later find out it's wrong. So thanks for clearing that up!
That's where having a good teacher comes in handy.

Fire Lily

Yshka

Hi everyone,

Da Sage and Kharmine, I might go to hear the band sometime before the show, I think I will if I get the opportunity. I also will have time to speak to the band so they might be able to know some songs I know too (I at least know Fire Dance, Aziza and a reasonable amount of Huseyin Turkmenler songs).

Chryssanthi, lol! I know some Turkish music at least and I was wondering whether they will be playing Aziza too lol. I wasn't even thinking of choreographing anything, I'm starting to get the hang of this improv thing so I guess (I hope, I'm not really that experienced with Turkish music though) I should be fine.
I was also thinking of playing zills since I can and one thing I do know about Turks is that they love it.

Steffib, thanks for the tip. I'm starting to familiarize further with Turkish music and lay off the Egyptian stuff for at least two weeks:lol: . I want to be prepared really.

Thanks Fire Lily, I know my way around the different instruments' sounds quite well (I usually dance Lebanese/AmCab/Egyptian style). I have been listening to a lot of 9/8 music lately too, and I'm starting to clearly understand which move might go where. I'll think about that.

The stage will not be that big, I've heard there won't be much room to dance anyway so I'll see what that's like if I get to go there before the actual show.

Thanks everyone, anymore advice is very welcome too if anyone thinks of something!:D
Still nervous, but now I'm kind of forming an idea of what to expect, it calms me at least a tiny bit:lol:

Fire Lily said:
That's where having a good teacher comes in handy
Very true. My teacher also knows this band and the restaurant, and she rocks at dancing with live music. She will help me a great deal too with preparing for this show. I can honestly say I'm really happy to have her!:D (and all of you girls too!!)

Last edited:

Yshka

Another question popped up in my mind this evening, I was thinking, how do you go about accepting tips in this kind of venue? I've seen numerous dancers accept tips in their bra (really IN their bra) or the front of their belt, now I wouldn't even want to even go there.. How do you do this then if not wanting to come across as tacky/vulgar?

thanks;)

Kharmine

Yeah, that always looked a tad too much like a free grope for my comfort! Is that sort of thing customary in this restaurant?

If so, maybe you could substitute for that by placing a fancy little hat or a tambourine or some such out on the floor for anyone who wanted to toss in some bills. If you taped a dollar inside it would give the customers the idea about where the tips ought to go in your case.

belly_dancer

dancing to live music is SO much fun!!!! It really can raise the energy level of your performance. the easiest way to practice (unless of course you have a live band in your living room!) is to play on all the OTHER songs on the CD (NOT the one or 2 good ones you got the cd for!) & just dance (as much as you can daily) to music you have never or rarely listened to.... It is SO true that bands rarely play the same song the same way twice... so it is good to have no expectations! if there is a singer, do not forget NOT to play your zils while s/he is singing... & HAVE fun!
as far as tips... it REALLY helps to post someone in the audience.... either to start the tipping if you decide to take body tips... (I NEVER take tips in my bra, or the front of the belt... & my belt is on soooo tight anyhow, that usually the customer will end up handing me the tip!) or if your friend can "notice" the basket, make a show of putting money in it, then pass it.... but check on the protocol in your area regarding sharing tips w/ the musicians,,,, usually with body tipping it is YOUR money....I used to be really shy about accepting or "going out" for tips... I still am rather aloof about the whole matter, but at one of the restaurants where I dance, one of the waitresses always makes a show of starting the tipping, & hey costumes are expensive so it is fun to go home with an extra $30-$60 (sometimes more!) for the evening .

Safran

Hmm, all the good advice is given already ;) I would have also suggested rehearsing improvisig to different kind of music, so that you would know how to be prepared for changes in music. Meet up with the band, if possible and listen to them play, talk to them, ask how should the set be built up etc. And don't be nervous, just be alert, but smiling at the same time. Have eye contact with the band leader and I am sure you will find a common language.

I have had the chance to perform to perform to live music a few times. But mostly they have been group improvisations to tabla, so we could get the audience to dance with us. There is one specific situation though, where we had to do a pre-set choreography as a group to live music. And we didn't meet the band before the day of the performance. We had rehearsed to a CD that was, of course different than the band playing in real life at the last rehearsal. And of course, they also sounded different during the show, because even though they tried to restrain themselves, they still improvised a bit :lol: That was one valuable lesson again :cool:

Unfortunately I can not give you much advice on tipping because Northerners are not good at tipping for anything, really. But I also don't like tips inside the costume. Kharmine's and belly_dancer's advice sounds good though!

Ah, good luck and let us know how the preparations are going!

Yshka

Thanks girls! You're a great help. I had a good talk with my teacher today about all this, she absolutely reassured me and I'm very much less nervous than I was. I'm nervous in a good way now and very excited to go there.

Kharmine, thanks for your advice. I've heard it is customary in this restaurant to tip in the costume, but I will not let them go too far (I haven't heard of any sleazyness of unnecessary groping/touching in this place, it sounds allright as far as body tipping is allright:rolleyes: ).
For tips, I'll see whether this hat/tambourine thing is possible and whether it will work out (the restaurant is rather small), if not, I was thinking the side of the belt or maybe brastraps (way up high lol), could do. I will watch carefully not to have anyone cross my line;) and not at all go the tacky way. Might be making slight little suggestions of 'where' to tip.

Belly_dancer, thanks!! You make it sound so exciting! I am really wanting to perform now. I have been listening to Turkish music for the past 2 days already and improvising.
I will bring someone along so I might think about the someone starting the tipping thing. This might also give a signal I'm not about to have anyone just tipping wherever they like.
Oh and I will not play zills during the singing part if there's a singer, but I doubt there's going to be one.:lol: I am also thinking of doing some 9/8:cool: .

Maariku, thanks for your post anyway! I will be meeting the musicians before the show so I guess I'll be fine. I'm much more relieved now I've also discussed everything with my teacher, she's really set my mind at ease.
I'll keep y'all posted:D !

Thanks babes! I'm off to have dinner and go rehearse some more. Thanks everyone for your great advice!:D :cool:

Last edited:

belly_dancer

yeah, with the tipping thing.... it really pretty easy to control with your attitude... if someone goes for the bra, just step back, SMILE (you don't want them to feel TOO bad, unless of course they are drunk & disorderly!), shake your finger like you are scolding a child... & point to the side of your hip belt. some people do not know any better, & need to be educated... ! good luck!

Yshka

So it's only a day away now, only a night as a matter of fact, and I'm starting to get a little bit excited lol. I'm still nervous but I think it should be ok. I have my cossies sorted out for tomorrow night, I know my music, and I think once I get there I should be allright.

I had numerous people give me all sorts of peptalks and your tips will help a great deal! Thanks again everyone.

Now I just hope I dance well..:pray:

Kharmine

You'll go out there a novice and you'll come back a star, kid.

Have fun, and whatever you do, act like you meant to do that!