I'm new too

SarahJ

I'm Canadian, and...about the dancing...I've only really tried a couple of times. I'm fascinated by the dance style, but I'm VERY shy and feel very self conscious when I do it. I guess I joined the forum to learn more about it and learn how others find the confidence:)
P.S. I know it's odd I'm posting this early in the morning...damn insomnia...

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I'm Canadian, and...about the dancing...I've only really tried a couple of times. I'm fascinated by the dance style, but I'm VERY shy and feel very self conscious when I do it. I guess I joined the forum to learn more about it and learn how others find the confidence:)
P.S. I know it's odd I'm posting this early in the morning...damn insomnia...
LOL! not odd posting at all hours, being an international forum it is daytime somewhere:D Here in Aussie at this moment it is 9pm.

As for confidence, you will find classes are very welcoming of newcomers, it really is matter of taking a deep breathe and stepping through the door. You can be in the back of the class until you feel a little more comfortable. Another way is to talk a friend into joining with you, and see if you can find a newly formed class ( beginning of the year is often a good time here in Australia to find new beginners classes starting, maybe it is the same for Canada).

When I first decided to 'try' bellydance, I chose to have 2 private lessons first to see if I would like it and I fell in love with the dance. Even though I felt awkward and didn't have a lot of confidence at all, I took that deep breathe and made myself join a class, and in 7 years have maybe missed 3 classes in total due to illness twice and being on a plane the third time:D I am now teaching. I began teaching because one of my teachers pushed me into it, I kept saying I don't think I can, but she knew I was I just needed the push.

Sarah, Just do it! It really is just a matter of trusting yourself and taking the leap. You obviously have a love of the dance and somewhere inside of you, you want that 'push' - taking that leap will be the hardest step, but once you do it you will be so glad you did.
~Mosaic