Am I registered or not?

tim ema

Please forgive me if this has already been posted - I tried to search thoroughly first...

I have been away from the site for quite some time, but was delighted to find my login and password still worked! However my avatar does not appear when I post. If I click the phrase "Tim'ema's Avatar" it says "this user is not registered and does not have an Avatar.

......... If I'm not registered, why does my login work? Is there... another registry? Also, if I click on my login name in the upper right of my screen I DO get my profile page with... my profile picture AND my avatar. So it IS in there!

Is this because I have been away? How do I fix it?

Thanks SO, SO much....

Glad to be back!

PracticalDancer

I am neither a moderator, nor an expert; but, there could be 2 things that are causing it: 1) there has been an issue with users having symbols in their names, sticking with alphanumeric names seems to resolve it; 2) the recent server migration could have affected your profile, if old images were not migrated or were lost.

Mind you, these are just guesses.

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
I'm thinking it has something to do with the move or possibly where you been away for so long it might have shut down parts of your profile. This can only be addressed by admins since moderators don't have the abilty to get into that area of your account.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
It may have to do with a recent move to different servers, no one is ever 'de-registered' even if they haven't logged in for a long time.

It looks like we will be moving to new servers again sometime in the next month.

Maybe Salome can correct the problem now, and you will stay registered during the new move.

It is very odd that you can log in and post, and be 'not registered' at the same time:D, Try uploading a new avatar and see if that works.

For the time being just post away seeing you are able too.
~Mosaic

PS: just realised you can't upload an avatar

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Have you tried logging out and back in again? If it continues to happen then we will have to see if Salome can sort the problem out for you. If all fails you might have to re- register.
~Mosaic

gisela

Super Moderator
As Anala says it could have to do with you having an ' in your username. Evryone with that sign has had avatar problems. It confuses the system somehow. If you write Salome she would be able to change your username to either the same name but without the sign, or something else of your choice. It might do the trick.

Harry

As Anala and Gisela both indicate, the ' may be the issue. A lot of operating systems handle symbols of that sort as if it were a command. The same is true, I might add, of things like @, %, &, which mean special things. I know that on the systems I monitor, I simply do not permit "special characters" in the data (includes login names). Sometimes, even passwords are affected, but, now, some systems are actually requiring special characters for passwords.

I know this may seem like a drawn out explanation, but the technology world is ever-changing. It's difficult to keep up sometimes. Indeed, Salome should be able to assist you in resolving your situation.

Farasha Hanem

Didn't we also lose a good portion of our site last year due to hackers? Or did that happen during the server move? :think: I don't remember. :confused: Perhaps Salome can do something to fix it? :think:

Hopefully, someone can fix your user issues. In the meantime, welcome back, tim'ema! :D

tim ema

Thanks for all the info!

Perhaps if Salome reads this she will change my user name to tim ema... with just a space rather than the comma.

My avatar appears in my profile, so I tried to reupload it, but apparantly I can't.

Weird.

Well, good to see you all again and it's wonderful to see this place is just as responsive and helpful as ever!!! YAY!

:)