Post Thanks / Like

Default Musical instruments and dance

Hello all,
    I just thought I would lead on from another thread and ask what dance movements go with particular musical instruments? Quanun goes with a shimmy, nay with figures of eights and camels etc. I think I have got an idea but just wanted to get other opinions on this.

Post Thanks / Like

The general idea is: you follow the quality of the music. If the music sounds rather trembling (like Oud, Kanoon, or trembling parts of violin, accordion etc) you do things like shimmies etc, which you could also combine with circle like movements, depending on the pattern of the music. If it is wavy like nay, accordion, violin, saxophone (when played normal. Because those instruments can also produce trembling sounds), you do the circle and wave kind of movements (like you mentioned in your posting). As about the drums, you almost always do shimmies, accents, some steps, but usually avoid the "wavy" movements (except in combination with shimmy). This is very general spoken and I'm sorry that I won't have the opportunity to write more about the subject until next Sunday, because I'm leaving for holiday today

Post Thanks / Like

Have a wonderful time chrysanthi! Will you be away for Christmas? Happy xmas and new year speak soon. Thanks for the info!