Thread: Hey Guys =D

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey Guys =D

Well hello there. I'm 18 and recently (yeah...like a couple days ago) took up belly dancing. I joined this forum because I need all the help I can get, since there are no classes (bummer) I have to rely on youtube and whatnot...I also love the history behind oriental dance in general, and I'm sure there will be a lot of great conversation here. And...come on...it's IMPOSSIBLE not to love the music

My mother is American (African European) and my Dad is middleastern. I used to take Bellydancing in Lebanon when I was around 7, but after a couple years we moved to China, so I stopped.

I now live in a part of America that has literally zero culture, so it's really tough to find real belly dancing. It's usually more hiphop.

I miss Bellydancing, and really want to connect back, so here I am!
    Last edited by EarthOD; 01-16-2011 at 08:47 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

to the forum. If you tell the forum where you actually live someone here may know of dancers in the area or close by. Hope you can find someone so you are able to take up your passion again.
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EarthOD View Post
    Well hello there. I'm 18 and recently (yeah...like a couple days ago) took up belly dancing. I joined this forum because I need all the help I can get, since there are no classes (bummer) I have to rely on youtube and whatnot...I also love the history behind oriental dance in general, and I'm sure there will be a lot of great conversation here. And...come on...it's IMPOSSIBLE not to love the music

My mother is American (African European) and my Dad is middleastern. I used to take Bellydancing in Lebanon when I was around 7, but after a couple years we moved to China, so I stopped.

I now live in a part of America that has literally zero culture, so it's really tough to find real belly dancing. It's usually more hiphop.

I miss Bellydancing, and really want to connect back, so here I am!
    Awwwww, BIG HUGS to you! I had to go it alone for several years with video tapes and DVD's until a class became available in my area. Hopefully Mosaic can get you hooked up with people in your area; just let her know where you live. If you prefer, you can pm her.

Welcome to the forum!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum Earth! Don't be afraid to ask any questions =] I am new to belly dance also and this fourm is a real help, the women on here give amazing advice and support. I too have no classes where I am but that hasn't stopped me yet! DvDs are expencive but worth the money if you can get them, my faviourte has to be Beautiful Technique from Step One by Autumn Ward its a great beginner DvD. I also use youtube, YouTube - Egyptian Folkloric Belly Dance : Smooth Side Arabic Belly Dance Move I found this and I am using mostly these videos to try out new moves, some are very hard which I avoid for now. So start slow and work your way up, you will soon be able to do more than you realise =D Though there is honestly no subsitute for classes and if you ever get a change go for it, you can get into all sorts of bad habbits as you don't have a teacher to correct you if your not careful. Good luck!!

Post Thanks / Like

I know how you feel! The nearest classes to me are more than 150 miles away, I don't have a car or a license, and I can't afford to take the train or the bus...so I too am stuck with DVDs and online.

Try the soul studio belly dance dictionary web site. The owner really breaks things down well, and includes written instructions and a video demo for each move...and it's all free.