Post Thanks / Like

Default Drum solos slowing down - EUREKA

It is always a struggle to learn a fast drum solo, right? The first time you hear the music and get to know the choreography you'll think - ooh, I'll never be able to learn it and end up just twitching out of sync with the music... Then you work on it, and gradually you start discovering - hey, I can do this! My movements will actually fit into the music -how great!

And at some point you realise that there is more music than you need. Seems like the music has slowed down and you have to stall in order to accommodate into the music. I've been in so many arguments about it - if it was just the fruit of my imagination or if the stereo wasn't playing it right... I've been agonizing over it so long...

And then I realised that the answer is very simple... I keep agreeing to all the discussions going on here about the importance of improvisation and responding to music... While, at the same time, I let the routine of a pre-set choreography take myself over. The more I practise the choreo, the faster I can dance... But it is not about speed, is it? It is all about dancing into the music. Not just to do it but to do it beautifully.

I am sorry for stating such an elementary thing over the forum, but I just wanted to share it with you all. It is amazing how easy it is to overlook the simple truths sometimes.

Thanks for the attention

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Maariku, At last a kindred soul!On another thread discussing your weak part in dance:mine was dancing too fast to the music,and your post illustrated the reason why. When I'm learning someone else's choreography, it's hard for me to listen to the music because of all the "artificial" counting...8cts of this 4ct of that. I always seem to do better with improv because my body really hears the music. In my own choreographies I don't dance so fast because I just improvise to it then write down the combos.
    You really hit the nail on the head with that observation. Right now I'm fininshing a drum solo, anf I'm not hitting every "tek" because the the "teks' are also forming the melody too, so I'm not some frantic mass of motion, but it's flowing into and with the music. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
    Yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maariku View Post
    I am sorry for stating such an elementary thing over the forum, but I just wanted to share it with you all. It is amazing how easy it is to overlook the simple truths sometimes.

Thanks for the attention
    Ha!! Me too and I'm sure I must make my instructor nuts with it, fortunately she is most kind and patient *whew*

I think one of the reasons this happens to us may have to do with twitchy legs missing bigger motion. Lemme 'splain Lucyies - last week in a class the intructor had us do one of those "OK, follow me if you want or do your own thing" for a bit ..... I noticed that I wanted to and did move my legs much more than I usually do in class - the positively ached to move more. In many other dance forms you DO get bigger leg movement, taking up the urge to move something, ANYthing - here we gotta show restraint (not my strong suite dammit).

Did that make any sense at all

Post Thanks / Like

I experience this every time I'm learning any fast choreography. Recently we did one that had 3 spins and to start with I struggled to fit the spins into the required time frame. After a lot of practice I could not only manage the spins but a nice pause before moving onto the next movement. Of course the next problem I had was since I was now fitting the spins in ok I kept wanting to do an extra. Perhaps subconsciously I like to struggle