Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Instructor Annoyances

To all of you who teach: What is the most annoying or irritating thing a student can do in your classes?

Not pay attention or dance in a way that it's clear that we haven't practiced at all? Take over the class with so many questions no other student gets a minute? Be late to class, pay late, skip class or re-schedule lessons for trivial reasons? Have unrealistic expectations, such as expecting to go professional after a single 6 week beginner class or expect to be able to dance like Shakira in that same amount of time...and without also studying Latin dance? Disrupt the class with cell phone calls/texting, running out and coming back in, etc? Narcissistic behavior (expecting everyone to tell them they're a great dancer regardless of skill, or expecting everyone in the class to fawn over how good looking they are or how nice their costumes are)?

I can't imagine any of these would be welcome...but what are the things that students should really never do in your class??

Post Thanks / Like

Talk whilst I'm teaching. Carrying on personal conversations after we have started class and I'm talking/explaining/demonstrating. I can think of a few other things too, but this one really annoys me (and usually annoys the other students also).

I've had it in other areas that I've taught/demonstrated/lectured in, and it still really bugs me. And it's usually by people who should know better ..........

Post Thanks / Like

My personal bugbear is gum chewing. It's a distraction for me because it looks like the person is talking & I'll often wait for them to finish before realising it's gum. It also means they aren't paying full attention to what they are doing, it is a choking hazard and will muck up the dance floor if they lose it.

I don't have many rules but the big one (aside from 'violence will not be tolerated') is no gum in the classroom.

Talking is fine, I understand that some people are here for social - just go to the back of the room so that the hardcore learners can see & hear me.

Not paying attention? It's your money, just be respectful enough to stay up the back where you won't be disruptive.

Asking lots of questions? I encourage it - it shows me you're learning or that you want to.

Narcissistic behaviour? I've been there, I'm sure everyone has at one stage or another of their bellydance career. I don't mind it because it's not that disruptive, and it can be helpful in building the confidence to perform. If it gets out of hand, that's something a quick chat or a longer discussion can abate.

Skipping class? Again, it's your money - spend it how you like. It's your choice to be here to learn or not. Also, most students will often have a valid reason for missing one or more classes - I don't get upset, I inquire.

Everyone has unrealistic expectations and I address these in the first class of term with the welcoming speech, and also in the welcome package I give out to all new students. So this, too, is not a problem.

Not practicing? Some students are there for their one night a week they can get away. That's fine. I will work them hard in class if that's what they're there for, if they're there for social, then they're welcome to it. Not everyone has the same motivation for being in class and not everyone has the same amount of free time I do. I understand that.

The thing to remember here is that everyone expects something different from their bellydance class and there's no point being flustered by it. Gum, on the other hand, has no place in the classroom!
    Bellydance in Kyabram!
    Skype classes a specialty.
    Email kyabrambellydance@gmail.com for more information.

Post Thanks / Like

The most annoying thing is the student who thinks she knows it and "helps" other students by explaining - often wrongly what they should be doing. Even when they are correct this is annoying - but when it's wrong (and often happens without my knowledge) it can be a disaster - exactly why are half the class doing hip drop, kick instead of hip drop, release? Oh, X showed you how to do it?

Next would be coin belts. The noise (usally out of time) drives me nuts. The cheap ones shed on the floor and the broken beads cut students' feet. I do make exceptions for young students who receive them as gifts from doting relatives - but only for a couple of weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not a teacher, but I know this bugs mine(and she isn`t easily bugged); when you have made agreements on when to practice for a gig and then people don`t show up....but do expect to have a lead role in the gig

Post Thanks / Like

I am not a teacher either but when I am in class I find people who don't seem to give it their all and mess around really annoying. Its distracting and it doesn't make it a good learning environment, even if they do it at the back of the class it can be annoying.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nejmeh View Post
    I am not a teacher, but I know this bugs mine(and she isn`t easily bugged); when you have made agreements on when to practice for a gig and then people don`t show up....but do expect to have a lead role in the gig
    I am pulling up a cyber chair to talk about this particular buggerism. Ooooh!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nejmeh View Post
    To make agreements about practicing and then have people not show up is enough to bug me
    ETA: but I'm not a teacher yet.
    Last edited by gisela; 01-17-2011 at 09:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been teaching so long at this point that I've learned to just go with the flow for the most part. Even the student who periodically does cartwheels across the floor fails to bother me (she's a doll and I love her). I do wish when we are drilling something people would continue to practice instead of stopping to have a coversation with someone once I've moved on to a different student. Did that make sense?
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't bother me if students skip class, don't practice, or come late. However, if they do these things, then they'll need to accept the consequences of their actions, such as being cut from a show. I realize that people can't always make belly dance class their first priority, and in turn I expect them to realize that performing with the group is a privilege that must be earned, not a right.

It also doesn't bother me if someone needs to take cell phone calls or texts so long as they run out into the lobby to deal with them. You never quite know why someone is doing those things. Maybe they're a doctor on call who has been paged with an emergency. Maybe they have some family drama going on. I assume that a student who takes such calls feels she NEEDS to take them. So long as she tries to be unobtrusive about grabbing her phone and slipping out to the lobby, it's okay with me.

I do try to set the expectation up front that practice and attendance are important for people who want to be part of an upcoming gig. Ie, I try to avoid having it be a surprise when I tell someone that I must eliminate her from a show due to insufficient polishing of her technique and failing to know the choreography as well as she should. I've had only one situation where this posed a problem.

My biggest annoyances:

1. Students who come to class drunk or high on drugs and behave disruptively as a result.

2. Students who interject their own advice/input to the group just after I've said something. Especially if they do it every bleepin' time I stop the music to provide corrections. Especially annoying if they do it when I'm drawing a breath to say something further and they distract everyone away from what I was about to say.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast