Thread: Hello!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hello!

Recently I've become interested in belly dancing. The styles are beautiful and they're a great way to express yourself. I watched several videos of different belly dancers on Youtube and now I get chills just watching them. Soon I'll be able to get lessons and I'll be able to join this unique way of dancing. I must admit that I'm shy and self conscience but I need to push that away from me. For now I've joined this site to find tips to prepare me for my journey through the different cultures that belly dancing brings.
    Last edited by Dream Dancer; 01-18-2011 at 12:46 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

to the forum & the world of bellydance. How exciting you are about to venture into a fun world and begin a wonderful journey. Many of us have begun our journeys feeling self conscious & shy. But it really doesn't take long to begin to find confidence and you will have encouragement from other students and will make friends along the way as well and I am sure you will be so glad you took those first tentative steps into this joyful world.
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much for the welcome. I'm positive that I'll feel welcome in the world of bellydance.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, Dream Dancer, love your avatar! Welcome to the forum!

Post Thanks / Like

Happy to have you with us!
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Hello - love your name!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Dancer View Post
    . I must admit that I'm shy and self conscience but I need to push that away from me.
    In my opinion, Belly dancing and arabic music is a unique way to do that and be more confident!
    And the belly dance forum of course!!!

WELCOME!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Don't Sweat It

Hi Dream Dancer, Years ago I was an actor. I remember the night of my first performance, I was almost catatonic with stagefright but somehow got through the evening. As I continued to perform I began to realize that being another character meant that I no longer had to worry about my personal inhibitions - I could effectively hide behind my 'character'.

Belly dancing is the same. The character you embrace as a dancer is not yourself, it is a projection of another aspect of yourself, just like acting. So enjoy the freedom this gives you, enjoy performing, it's a release from the troubles of the world for as long as the music lasts.
    Last edited by gisela; 01-23-2011 at 12:03 AM. Reason: removed link

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cjcronin View Post
    Hi Dream Dancer, Years ago I was an actor. I remember the night of my first performance, I was almost catatonic with stagefright but somehow got through the evening. As I continued to perform I began to realize that being another character meant that I no longer had to worry about my personal inhibitions - I could effectively hide behind my 'character'.

Belly dancing is the same. The character you embrace as a dancer is not yourself, it is a projection of another aspect of yourself, just like acting. So enjoy the freedom this gives you, enjoy performing, it's a release from the troubles of the world for as long as the music lasts.

Henry G
    That is great advice Henry and it does work with bellydance. Put on your costume and you also put on another persona
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)