Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Student annoyances

A little sister of the instructor annoyances tread. Could be towards other students or towards teachers.

- I` ll repeat the student who makes appointments to practice but doesn`t show up.
    - have a class that starts at time X but consequently starts about 20 minutes later.
    - I`ve never came across this at bd but I`m sure it happens, a teachers pet.
    - when no corrections are given at all, if I would want that I would take my laptop, rent the room myself and copy that.

the place to practice in general can be quite annoying:
    - have a 'dressing/changing room'in a corridor so complete strangers can walk into.
    - have people from other rooms complain because our dancing 'sounds like a herd of elephants'(excuse you?!) and our music as fighting cats(again?!)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm never overly annoyed - takes too much energy.

But I do wish people would wear appropriate clothing to dance class (or even other classes). I don't think wearing spandex bottoms and a tight top (so you can see the body movements) - along with a hip scarf - is at all unreasonable. But I'd say 1/4 of the ladies show up in khakis and baggy t's.

I KNOW it doesn't matter in the big picture...but it's neither difficult or expensive to have those basics...and I think it does help. Even just to see yourself as you pass by the wall mirrors is beneficial.

Same with the community orchestra I play in. For performances we're supposed to wear black bottoms and a white top. There are always a few women (the men are better about it) who insist on all-black, off-white tops or navy blue bottoms.

I honestly don't get it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rue View Post
    I'm never overly annoyed - takes too much energy.

But I do wish people would wear appropriate clothing to dance class (or even other classes). I don't think wearing spandex bottoms and a tight top (so you can see the body movements) - along with a hip scarf - is at all unreasonable. But I'd say 1/4 of the ladies show up in khakis and baggy t's.

I KNOW it doesn't matter in the big picture...but it's neither difficult or expensive to have those basics...and I think it does help. Even just to see yourself as you pass by the wall mirrors is beneficial.

Same with the community orchestra I play in. For performances we're supposed to wear black bottoms and a white top. There are always a few women (the men are better about it) who insist on all-black, off-white tops or navy blue bottoms.

I honestly don't get it.
    I get that some people really don't want to show their bodies- I felt the same way for a long time and still do sometimes- but it irks me when people wear whatever they were wearing to work that day in dance class. First of all, I sweat when I dance when I'm appropriately attired for a dance class, so these people can't possibly be comfortable in a button down top and a skirt suit and nylons. Also I feel it's disrespectful if there's a house rule against street clothes in the studio or the teacher's class.

I also find that straight up blatantly not listening to the teacher is annoying for me- there's a guy that's in a class I used to take who would literally ignore our teacher if we were running old choreographies, she'd ask people who didn't know it to clear the floor for the run-through (we used to run old routines after the scheduled class time was finished, as there were no facility users immediately after us. So she wasn't telling people they couldn't participate during their time they'd paid for- which would be kinda dodgy). One routine had some skills of a harder difficulty level. It'd be fine if he had moved aside to learn/mark it, but he stood right in the middle of the room and we had to run it *around him* because he straight up didn't know it.

Post Thanks / Like

Someon who doesn't get it yet (says that her body isn't made that way and yet will happily demonstrate to others how to do it (wrong). Who will offer corrections and suggestions to me - who has been dancing for 4 years, and yet will throw a complete wobbly if I suggest she has missed her cue. (For the record - I take correction very well from anyone who I feel ckonws what they are talking about.

Same person - when the group splits into 2, with an option to attend both halves, gives beginners a miss and comes striaght into improvers and then spends her time complaining about how hard it is.

However, our instructor had to have 2 months off from injury and this person has not returned. classes are much more pleasant.

Post Thanks / Like

When I know I am doing something wrong, and the instructor still won't tell me how to do it right. I would love to be told when I'm doing something wrong because how else will I learn? It never bothered me when I was given constructive criticism because that is why I am paying to attend classes. If I was to balk at that, I would be wasting my time and money.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greek Bonfire View Post
    When I know I am doing something wrong, and the instructor still won't tell me how to do it right. I would love to be told when I'm doing something wrong because how else will I learn? It never bothered me when I was given constructive criticism because that is why I am paying to attend classes. If I was to balk at that, I would be wasting my time and money.
    Absolutely, I had been dancing for well over a year before anyone mentioned posture - and am still corrercting myself.

Another bugbear is when the instructor says "some of you haven't got" then sets us all practising and says that most of have now got it.

Does that mean that I could/couldn't do it when we started aor that I can/can't do it when we finished

Post Thanks / Like

Another bugbear is when the instructor says "some of you haven't got" then sets us all practising and says that most of have now got it.

Does that mean that I could/couldn't do it when we started aor that I can/can't do it when we finished
    Devil's advocate here: I say "some of you haven't got" fairly frequently and always have everyone practice, not just those who are struggling. Extra practice never hurts "the one's what's got it" and sometimes singling people out time after time as "the ones who don't got it" does hurt. But during the subsequent practice, if the teacher spends most of her time working with other students and merely smiles at you or says some version of "nice job" you can figure you're doing good.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Devil's advocate here: I say "some of you haven't got" fairly frequently and always have everyone practice, not just those who are struggling. Extra practice never hurts "the one's what's got it" and sometimes singling people out time after time as "the ones who don't got it" does hurt. But during the subsequent practice, if the teacher spends most of her time working with other students and merely smiles at you or says some version of "nice job" you can figure you're doing good.
    My teacher does this too - if a significant proportion are having problems we all do an exercise and she will do the rounds and spend a little more time with people who need it. I think it's the only way to do it in a very mixed class.

But I agree with jenc that "some of you haven't got it" without that sort of targeted follow up and feedback is unhelpful and not very good for for your confidence if you aren't sure if you've got it or not. That is pretty much how I feel about most new things I learn... it looks and feels weird and clunky and I don't know if I'm on track and will get there with a bit of practice, or plain doing it wrong. I'm trusting my teacher to see the difference and put me straight when necessary, not just leave me in limbo.

I also find that straight up blatantly not listening to the teacher is annoying for me
    YES! The thing about texting in class on the other thread is exactly that. Even if it's not disrupting the class for anyone else it strikes me as extremely rude and disrespectful of the teacher.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my, since I've started teaching a couple of years back I can see so many of these things mentioned above I found disrespectful to me, fellow students and the teacher when I was still a student, but that strike me even more now that I am actually the teacher myself.

One of the biggest peeves for me is the student who arrives late, comes in disruptive and loud and then forces her way to the front row of the class because 'that's her usual spot' or some other nonsense reason. If you're late, be quiet and join at the back not to disrupt class for the others.

I had only one so far and am sorry to say, but I was quite happy when she left over 'personal reasons'...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yshka View Post
    One of the biggest peeves for me is the student who arrives late, comes in disruptive and loud and then forces her way to the front row of the class because 'that's her usual spot' or some other nonsense reason. If you're late, be quiet and join at the back not to disrupt class for the others.

I had only one so far and am sorry to say, but I was quite happy when she left over 'personal reasons'...
    This in a nutshell. One time we had a student who brought all of her personal problems to class, then made the rest of us feel like we had to consider her problems at all times. The instructor finally told her that she either had to go back to beginners or stay out until she could work out her problems because the other students were really getting annoyed. We were very grateful!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast