Post Thanks / Like

Default First Solo Suggestions?

Hello, I have decided to do my first solo "ever", this year! I'm turning 40 and have been dancing for 2 1/2 years. I've decided to do a choreography piece off of a dvd, instead of having my teacher help me. The reason is, she teaches cabaret/egyptian" only", and I love Tribal Fusion. I know, it's gonna be a "No Brainer, on the choreography part, and want to focus on knowing the piece so well, I can do it with my eyes closed. Nobody in our area teaches Tribal, so I figured this would be the best place to start..... Has anybody done this? Is it poo poo'd upon to dance a choreography to a dvd? How long did it take you to learn the piece if you worked with it 5 days a week?...I don't plan on taking the piece internationally...Lol.. It will mainly be performed at local venues and haflas and will ackowledge the choreographer and song.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Lilith,
    Congrats on turning 40! Since you don't have any formal instruction in tribal fusion, what if you save that for when you have a couple more performances under your belt first? Since this is your first performance, what if you stick to the area that you've had lots of instruction in? Performing for the first time using a style you're still learning sounds like a lot at once.
    Good luck with your first performance!

Cheers,
    Ariella

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ariella! Thanks for reply! I have actually done several troupe performances ,under my teacher's guidance, and am working with some fusion gals, at our leisure, to learn Tribal. The reason I want to do this piece is because, I really love it, and it is geared towards beginner/intermediate dancers. Although, I won't have my teacher's guidance on learning the choreo, I do have the advantage of practicing it daily, until I get it right....I really love my teacher and enjoy my class, troupe time. I just dislike the solo pieces she's given other girls. She is very Cabaret, with beautiful, blingy Vegasy costumes, and I'm an earthy, hippy chick, with tassel belts and tattoos!Lol...

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Lillith,

Okay, it sounds like you have a good plan! Also, I think it's great that you're learning cabaret style and tribal fusion. Cross-training is good for belly dancers. Let us know how your show goes!

Cheers,
    Ariella

Post Thanks / Like

Dancing a choreo from a DVD is no different than dancing a choreo by a teacher. Give credit to the choreographer and dance!