Instructions for the candle tray?

Safran

Apparently, I lack a system whatsoever to store and organize the bits of information I gather about dance. So, this time I have lost a really good article on dancing with the candle tray :( Actually, it was about how to tie the turban underneath it and how to set the tray.

Can you help me out? Have you seen some great instructions oer the web? Or maybe, you can share some good advice of your own? :pray:

Gia al Qamar

dancing with the candle tray :( Actually, it was about how to tie the turban underneath it and how to set the tray.

Can you help me out? Have you seen some great instructions oer the web? Or maybe, you can share some good advice of your own? :pray:

I don't dance with a turban as I am basically Arabic Nightclub style (cabaret), but I do wear a headband when balancing a sword or tray as my hair is too slippery to assure safety for me and my audience! (I don't wear covering when I balance shamedan).
I found a terrific heavy brass tray at a flea market and held it in my hand...the weight was good...it didn't rock to one side (very important that it isn't warped or has been dropped, it will affect the balance as it would a sword).
Once home, I rubbed an unlit candle on the bottom of the tray where it meets my head for added 'grip' and started balancing just the tray alone. Once I felt comfortable doing this...I added votive candle holders (in glass and tacked down) and then candles.
Someone once suggested to me to practice with the candle holders filled with water...you'll know when you spill and you won't have to worry about fire or wax dripping!
My MOST valuable advice to dancers who want to add balancing to their routines is to make SURE that you're VERY proficent before taking this before an audience. 60/40 rate of success at home is 100% assurance that your prop will fall on stage...make sure that you can run a routine cleanly a dozen times before doing it in public!
Gia

Mariesaffron

maariku, I will share my own tricks on balancing with you. first thing to do is find you balance point, the easy way to do it I meant ( without me having to explain it to you ) is watching " Hadia,s Ultimate Bellydance Sistem" set of four DVDs, ( I never did it the Hadia's way just discovered her Dvd's in summer 2006 ) nex fold a piece of fabric place a plate on it mark it and cut, sew it leaving and opening, fill with sand 1 1/2 to 2 pounds, sew the opening place it in your head, and start balancing that, after 10 minutes place the plate in your head and continue your balancing practice with steps and music, be ready to break many plates, try to get down and up with the tray in your head, and do spins too, basically every thing you normally do, do it with the tray in your head, 120 hours of practice before you do it in public, before lighting any candles try with candle votives fill just with water. I would like to continue helping you, let me know. Marie

Mariesaffron

Candle try

I never use a sand bag on stage, but when I first learn to balance I use to roll a piece of fabric put it in my head and then place a you name it, pots with water, big aluminum bowls with washed clothes, baskets of fruits, plain wood, utensils, earthenwere, lanterns, you see I grew up in the mountains of Colombia south america. in many cultures it is comun for people to carry objets in the head. Marie

iarasamra

Candle Tray

HI everyone,

Great advices on candle tray dancing. I do it quite often and also dance with live flames in brass containers.

The only thing I can add is that I always glue felt to the bottom of either the tray or the candleholder. I use a color similar to the metal. It helps to keep from slipping, and also works as a good insulation for the heat.

Also, I no longer use candles. I found those sealed lamp oil containers (the kind of the wick immersed in lamp oil). which works great because you don't have how wax spilling. They come in many sizes, including the same as votive candles. They come with a plastic cap, so when the flames are out you can reseal them and transport them (but they still leak a little, so be careful to keep them upright). For the live flames I use crunched up make-up cotton squares. I have heard of some people that use tampons, but I haven't tried. Actually, it would look a flaming candle.:lol:

I do use a head band very tightly fastened. If it is loose it is more dangerous than not using anything.

But at a couple of occasions I forgot to pack my headband and found out that I could perform the dance as well. I do a tray dance that is almost 7 min. with the whole time the tray on my head including floor work, lots of level changes, spins, and even a bit of foot work and so far....the balancing goddesses have protected me.

Good luck (to all of us)

Samra

Gia al Qamar

That is a good point Samra! My headbands are custom made by me so that I get a VERY snug fit. I have also fit the headbands with little rings that are at my temples. I always use bobbie pins and criss cross through them into my hair to make even MORE sure that the hairband is secure!
The idea of gluing felt is a good one, as you wouldn't need a hairband, but I would fear that the audience would see & think it was a 'balancing aid' to make it easier to balance the tray...even if the felt was 'brass colored'.
Gia