Second DvD.

Imeera

Hello everyone!
I have been working though Autumn Ward's Beautiful Technique from step one. And I am starting to get the steps sharp and so I can do them without thinking. I am no where near finished with it but I have been wondering which DvD to buy next. As I will have to save up for it I should really think about it now. I have the basics so I don't think another beginners would suit but I still need lots of guidence and breakdowns so nothing too advanced. Its a tough one, I have been searching but I am always thinking "is this advanced enough" or "is this too advanced" ect I am saving up for a class and I should be able to go sometime next week hopefully =D But for now its DvDs =[ So what would you loveily ladies recommend to broaden my dance vocabulary?

As for style, I still haven't figured out what style I am exactly but I am leaning towards Baladi more though.

Thank you!
Imeera =]

Imeera

I'm curious, what did you like (and not like) about Autumn's DVD?

What I liked: explanations were very detailed and easy to follow even if you have the move perfect and want to go over it its still helpful, the encouragement she gives "this takes some a long time to get, then one day it clicks" kind of thing, how the sections and what she teaches is broken down for example the menu has Foundation, Arms, Building blocks, Tilts- Shimmies and Drops, 8s and circles, forward hips, undulations and twist and shift then each is of thoes sections are broken down for example under Foundation there is Overview, hands, feet and legs, body orientation, balance and weight, stance and alignment and flow(breathing) , what is included in the DvD there seems to be a mountain of information and moves in one DvD alot more than I expected, there is a workout video you can go along with it has instructions and/or just music to practice to. There is also a coreography, I have not tried it yet as I am still practising moves but I have watched it a bit and it seems good. It is almost style-less so can be turned into any style you want with further study.

What I didn't like: There isn't much I didn't like but there is nothing on shoulder/chest isolations or movments, which I would have liked but then if she added that in she wouldn't have had as much time to go into the detail she did. There is no general warm up, there is one in the practice section but if you start on technique straight away which you have to you are not reminded to do a warm up. Thats no real big thing as you start to remember but the movments are much easier to follow if your legs and hips are warmed up and as a beginner I kept forgetting. Even though there is much infomation on many moves and they are all used frequently it doesn't cover many other movments which are deemed beginner but she adds in advanced moves like the triplet shimmy, but there is more than enough to keep you busy for months until you have to buy another DvD. Though I am thinking of other DvDs to buy I am not really close to finishing the DvD. I have one more section to do and moves to learn perfectly.

Hope this was useful =]

Shara

Ranya Renee has some that you might enjoy. Here is an affiliated link.

Bellydance Egyptian Style - The Baladi - 2-DVD Set

Egyptian Balady, Modern Oriental, and Classic Oriental. I have the first two.
They are packed with information, so you will want to take notes! You will need to copy the whole
link into your address bar to use it. These videos don't just gloss over the surface. They will keep you
busy studying for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shara

Belly Dance - The Next Level Transitions Turns and Layers with Jenna is also a good one. Belly Dance Show Basics for Beginners is also good, especially if you are thinking of performing. You should also be thinking of learning with your zills. I like Killer Ziller and Belly Dance with Zils. The two zill videos teach different techniques and I like them both.

Ariadne

An important question may be what style you prefer? Once you hit Intermediate it does make a difference.

Imeera

Ariadne, I think its Baladi, though I like Autumn Ward's stuff if I was to perform I think it would be Baladi.

Shara, I have heard so many good things about the Baladi DvD I think I will get that first. Then I think I will try zills, I love the look and sound of them. But I can't find the DvD Belly Dance - The Next Level Transitions Turns and Layers with Jenna on a UK site. I will keep looking though =]

Thank you both!!

Shara

If you can't find a UK vendor, buy directly from World Dance New York
www.worlddancenewyork.com
They are really nice folks. If you have trouble ordering, send them an email and they will help you out.